• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Founding Member

Chelsea 1:0 Manchester United

Well we won it, wasnt the most convincing of performances but then what can you expect, they've only been together a few months!

There were some encouraging signs, thought Smertin played pretty well and can definitely be a useful player for us.

Was well happy with Drogba's play but Frankie looked a little out of sorts. Overall though a good days work, three points and the start we all wanted.

Great start. Good solid performance. Man U wanted us to come out and attack them. The way we played frustrated them and denied them any real goal scoring chances. That will have helped out fitness levels no end. Man U were clearly more match fit yet we competed well and got the result we deserved. Some good debuts and am very happy. Stop moaning people, this was Man U we beat.

Come on you blues

TeRiYaKi   

lol, Drogba knocking over Keane and Neville from a header, he simply can't be pushed around and he's not even match fit! Expect great things from him this season.

Frankie looked more than a little out of sorts. He was easily the poorest midfielder on the pitch. I'm surprised he made it to the end. He gave the ball away an untold amount of times, exactly what you don't need from an experienced member of your squad when your backs are against the wall. Maybe 70 games this past year and not much of a break has actually left him a little frazzled. Would agree that Smertin looked good, and worked really hard.

Still can't complain!

It was a good enough performance, and will take a few games for us to get going. We struggled against the 5-man midfield, Smertin and Makelele battled well. Defence looked solid, although their midfield and full backs prevented us from getting any width through Ferreira and Bridge. 3 points on the board, thats the main thing!

Mouch   

First things first. 3 points, no injuries, and Man United lost.

We should all be happy with this. We would like a better performance but the season has just started. It WILL come, and this is Manchester United.

We didn't play well but we soaked up the pressure and are 3 points better off.

Problem 1: Lack of creativity in midfield,

This was due to us playing 3 defensive mids (Smertin, Makelele and Geremi(ish)) That and Lampard had a quiet game. Its hard to be creative and give good service when you don't have the ball.

If Duff was fit I don't know why he wasn't on the bench, just to give us an attacking option.

Problem 2: Lack of possession

The midfield gave the ball away far too much. Man United did play well. They had more possession as they flooded the midfield, and pressed well.

They basically had a 5 man midfield, this blocked any chance of an open game. They pressured us well and forced us to give away possession. We won't be playing against this pedegree of midfield (weakened but still quality) every week and we did win the game.

Also,

When we have Robben and Duff we will be able to have more options wide. As the season progresses our midfield will develop more of an understanding with each other and with the forwards.

Eidur's touches flicks and lay offs weren't as crisp as usual (he played well though) but this is the first game. Drogba looked good when he got service, and we now have a striker who can win headers.

On the whole defensivley we were good and Cech looked solid.

Carvalho looked impressive, even though he wasn't on long.

Disappointing performance, pleasing result.

I think people are expecting too much too soon, we will need time to become the slick passing team we showed we can be in pre-season. We got the result and thats what counts.

Paul   

Mr Ferguson looked a bit peeved on Sky Sports.

Jose offered some words of encouragement for him

& his generosity was not reciprocal - snapping that

he did not need anyone to tell him his team were unlucky

Jose should have quoted Anne Robinson "You leave with nothin'"

RXM   

It was three points, and we won't get an easier game against ManU, that being said I've never been this unexcited about beating ManU.

They never really turned up and rarely looked threatening, our defence really looked good and totally killed the game.

I think one of the reasons the match was so boring was that we played very defensively, just trying to keep the ball and not do much with it. When parker came on for Eidur we had four defensive midfielders on the pitch as well as Lampard, against what was effectively a reserve side for Utd.

Still we never looked like losing, and the big revelation for me was Smertin, he was all over the pitch and should have been man of the match IMO.

All in all though, got to be happy with the dominance and the points.

I have to agree with mouch on several points there:

3 points against united is a pretty good start to a campaign.

The lack of creativity in midfield was evident as was Frank's relatively anonymous second half.

The wide play was almost non-existent on the right and seldom seen on the left. I think Ferreira crossed the halfway once! What is exncouraging is that when Duffer and/or Robben get back, we have an answer to both problems. On the left anyway.

I thought it was a very untidy game. Poor passing from manure as well as some shockers from us (Ferreira's header straight in the air while in the box).

Excellent debut for Cech. Commanded the box well and caught everything he went for - his block on giggs aside.

CHELSEA - 7/10

I think I didn't see the same game as you, Cech played well, commanded the box

what are you talking about, he fumbled the ball twice, and if it weren't for luck and the defense the ball would have been in the back of the net

sorry that was a bad performence