Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Codger

The Times Claims A Victory

0 posts in this topic

All very laudable I'm sure, but somewhat sanctimonious on the part of The Times, which is slowly morphing into it's lesser cousin, The Sun.

THE TIMES has registered a spectacular triumph in its "Say No To Diving" campaign after the Football Association, the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) and the League Managers Association (LMA) agreed to join forces to renew their efforts to rid the game of cheating and gamesmanship.

It emerged last night that Brian Barwick, the FA chief executive, had written to Gordon Taylor, his counterpart at the PFA, to request the backing of the players’ union in a fresh clampdown on diving. The letter was sent after our campaign, which began nine days ago, gathered unstoppable momentum.

Read the full article.

Might be interesting to see how the various organisations deal with this when English teams play our European cousins.

I'm looking forward to The Times and other Murdoch organs campaigning for the return of 3PM Saturday kick-offs. No? Thought not.

So the Times think that getting posters put up in dressing rooms amounts to a "spectacular triumph"? Perhaps we're not picking up on his ironic tone. I wonder how they'd actually describe any positive effects of their campaign, actually reducing diving in football I mean, they must be busy searching the dictionary right now for an adjective stronger than spectacular and an even more pompous word for a win. Historically, I believe a 'triumph' was when a general returned home to Rome after a conquest and was celebrated by the crowd. What's going on here is perhaps slightly more self-congratulary.

Isn't it the point of journalism to report on the news, not be the news? Perhaps it is naive of myself to think so.

and I presume it all started the minute Jose Reina got sent off...another thinly vieled attack on us?

Did anyone read some of the earlier links on that page? I must have blinked and missed the bit where they cleaned up European football.

"Olsson believes that the rules make sufficient provision to punish the offenders and that the problem has been addressed throughout much of Europe. However, he feels that there is room for a more serious clampdown in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland."

Personally, I'm fully expecting Barca to be swan diving all over the place next Wednesday.

quote:Originally posted by Toby Brown

Personally, I'm fully expecting Barca to be swan diving all over the place next Wednesday.

id="quote">

id="quote">Likewise, but at least we'll have the newspapers ranting on about it afterwards for days on end to look forward to. Or not.

Question is, how many times will they be able to do it without mentioning it was Arjen Robben that started it all?

quote:Originally posted by Grahame Fendle
quote:Originally posted by Toby Brown

id="quote">

id="quote">Likewise, but at least we'll have the newspapers ranting on about it afterwards for days on end to look forward to. Or not.

Question is, how many times will they be able to do it without mentioning it was Arjen Robben that started it all?

id="quote">

id="quote">

The Press will turn a blind eye if Barca swan dive all the time. They will concentrate instead on how great that Barca were in beating us (I hope I'm completely wrong here).