• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blumoon

League Cup 1965 Question!

blumoon   

Rack your brains folks - I need help here!

I'm running a small competition and one of the questions set is:

"Who scored the first Chelsea goal in the 1964 - 1965 League Cup Final vs Leicester."

Now, I based this question on a web page stat. However, the answers that I am getting from entries are conflicting. So, I know the 3 scorers were Tambling, Venables (pen) and McCreadie... but now I cannot get a confirmation as to who the first scorer was.

Solution - ask the CFC-NET Intelligent Forum!

So was anyone of you there in 1965;) Does anyone have an old report lying about somewhere? Some help would be much appreciated.

Cheers... (This is all part of a 100 question centenary quiz I am compiling....its amazing the things we do to forget about a CL exit!)

quote:Originally posted by blumoon

Rack your brains folks - I need help here!

I'm running a small competition and one of the questions set is:

"Who scored the first Chelsea goal in the 1964 - 1965 League Cup Final vs Leicester."

Now, I based this question on a web page stat. However, the answers that I am getting from entries are conflicting. So, I know the 3 scorers were Tambling, Venables (pen) and McCreadie... but now I cannot get a confirmation as to who the first scorer was.

Solution - ask the CFC-NET Intelligent Forum!

So was anyone of you there in 1965;) Does anyone have an old report lying about somewhere? Some help would be much appreciated.

Cheers... (This is all part of a 100 question centenary quiz I am compiling....its amazing the things we do to forget about a CL exit!)

id="quote">

id="quote">

Ask Harry Sideras, he's older enough to know the answer!

Codger   

3-2 win over Leicester, on aggregate because the final was played over two legs back then. Second leg was 0-0. I'm pretty sure Eddie scored first.

I did see this question earlier and I bottled it :)

I know who scored but couldn't confirm the order for sure.

I'm not that old, Gary! I didn't know football existed back then, let alone teams! I'd have been 4. I don't have any books or stuff like that either.

I'm surprised Dan hasn't piped up, but if you want to know stuff like this I'd suggest you join up at http://www.cfchistory.co.uk/index.php and ask B90 (Steve). He seems to know everything!

If you have trouble logging on (I did) I can mail him or I may pop over to his gaff on Sunday for the Fulham game and ask him directly.

I thought the first goal was Tambling with a penalty then Venables and I'm pretty sure McCreadie got the winner.

quote:Originally posted by Harry Sideras

Err... that's not what it says...

id="quote">

id="quote">

Am I reading it totally wrong or seeing something different??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_McCreadie

Third paragraph:

"McCreadie scored a memorable WINNER in the League Cup Final of 1965 in which he dribbled 80 yards up the pitch before slotting the ball past Gordon Banks to give his side a 3-2 first leg lead which ultimately won the trophy for his side after a 0-0 draw in the second leg at Filbert Street"

I am not saying it is correct, but I am reading correctly.