• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul Mcgoochan

9 / 11

I can understand if the Mods don't want to post this, but here goes.

This post is NOT political, or religious in it's nature. It is simply a reminder of "But For the Grace Of God Go I".

These images will stay with me for ever. It was a day in which the USA thought would never happen, a modern day Pearl Harbour.

Children have a way of seeing things through a different pair of eyes.

My 3 year old ( at the time ) was watching all of this take place on tv. He said to me, " When I grow up, I want to be a doctor". "Why"? I replied.

"So I can run into buildings and save people from being hurt", was his answer. Still brings tears to my eyes now.

No country is exempt from terrorism, but human resilience is wonderful. So, today, if only for a few seconds, look up, and be grateful for the life you still have, even if it is a bit cr***y at times.

I remember the morning clearly, although I was just 10 years old. I got up to find my parents sitting, almost in shock staring at the TV. When told that a plane had crashed into the WTC, I asked "was it an accident?" "Not a hope," I was told by my father. It was an event that changed the world forever, especially for those of my generation, in my age bracket.

>My 3 year old ( at the time ) was watching all of this take place on tv. He said to me, " When

>I grow up, I want to be a doctor". "Why"? I replied.

>"So I can run into buildings and save people from being hurt", was his answer. Still brings

>tears to my eyes now.

As you've said Paul, human nature and resilience is a wonderful thing. Be grateful of the life you have, and as the late, great Peter Brock said, "Live Your Dreams."

quote:Originally posted by Paul Mcgoochan

This post is NOT political, or religious in it's nature.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Fair enough Paul, I'd just like to ask all other posters to keep their posts the same as this is a very sensitive subject, especially for our American posters.

Was a rather stressful few hours for me and my mum as my dad was in NY at the time. The main mobile phone tower for the area was on top of one of the towers so we couldn't get through until the early evening. He was not near the attack, but if it had been 2 days early he would probably have been on the top floor of the North Tower.

I remember coming back on the motorway, and then hearing that it had happened..I didn't really take it in. My dad thought that somoene had flown a toy plane into the building at first lol. It's just one of those things you watch and can't beleive its actually real, so you dont think much of it at first. Supposedly the American government got word of these attacks a while before it all actually happened, and I suppose it was just shrugged off as being ridiculous.. A terrible thing to happen to people, and I can't even imagine what it must of been like to have family members on the planes and in the buildings. I have alot of respect for the brave firefighters who risked their lives to save others, and stayed with them until the very end.

One of the worst days of my life. I remember it in every detail, down to what I was wearing. I was trapped downtown in my office two blocks from the White House, not able to get through to my wife (who was out with the kids) on her cell phone, hearing the fighters flying by overhead, listening to the crazy rumors (the Washington monument was blown up, the Capital Dome was in ruins, bombs were going off in Metro stations) and watching the awful reality unfold on the TVs in our conference rooms wishing it was some horrible Hollywood disaster movie someone had left on by mistake.

I am from New York City and I live in Washington. I lost friends in the South Tower. I lost thousands of countrymen of all races, religions and ages. I lost important symbols of my home. I had no "innocence" to lose, but I lost the general sense of SAFETY Americans had up to that point that the oceans were like giant English Channels protecting us from harm on our soil, that our military and economic power would deter anyone rash enough to attack us at home. And, as a result, I think I lost a lot of myself. I now have dark thoughts I never had before.

Like millions everywhere, that day changed me in ways I'm still figuring out.

I came in from school as a naive youngster and sat in shock of these actions. I had no idea what was happening, what terrorism was and what reasons there were for this. It was shocking and despicable of the terrorists. Ultimately it changed my complexion of flying and my emotion towards Americans, I will be travelling to New York in October and will make sure I make time to visit ground zero where so many innocent people and heroes died!

No nation, no matter how big and powerful can protect itself from such extreme actions. These nutcases going to such measures as to take thier own lives to kill other innocent human beings on such a large scale for no apparent reason, just proves what a evil and messed up world that we now live in.

quote:Originally posted by Paul Mcgoochan

My 3 year old ( at the time ) was watching all of this take place on tv. He said to me, " When I grow up, I want to be a doctor". "Why"? I replied.

"So I can run into buildings and save people from being hurt", was his answer. Still brings tears to my eyes now.

No country is exempt from terrorism, but human resilience is wonderful. So, today, if only for a few seconds, look up, and be grateful for the life you still have, even if it is a bit cr***y at times.

id="quote">

id="quote">

That is a really nice thing to say, especially because it was coming from a 3 year old. I don't have a child (obviously) but I have a 4 year old sister, I'm thankful that she wasn't born during that time yet. It could give her a negative outlook when it comes to our world.

Live life to the fullest, you'll never know when it will be taken away.

I can remember every single thing I did on this day.

A very sad day indeed, and not just for the obvious 'in your face' reasons.

A lot of people were condemned to death that day, and not by those planes crashing either.

I still remember someone telling me what had happened, and I just thought ' naaaaaa, can't happen.' Says it all really.