• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyrr100

Retire No.9

flyrr100   

How about doing what many American sports teams do. Retire his number. Chelsea's number 9 will always be remembered as Peter Osgood's number. I think it would be a fitting tribute from the club.

Olusisi   

The number 9 jersey is too special a number to retire for any player no matter how great the player was for the club.

People said that about Zola, as yet nobody has been given the number 25 shirt.

If we retired the number nine shirt, shouldn't we retire the number 16 shirt too? It could go on and on.

Isn't there also a tradition in UK football that the numbers correspond roughly to the position the player plays (at least the first 11 or so)? In American sports, the numbers the players wear are generally limited only by the constraints of 2 digits, so even several jersey retirements don't deprive the team much. The tradition is most common in American football where numbers from 1-99 can be worn and less than half are in use at any one time (45 man squads in the NFL).

Much as I loved Ossie's footballing genius - I think it would be wrong to retire the number 9 and like others have said where do you stop.

As an aside anyone remember what number Bogarde had?

quote:Originally posted by Pete Bull

For the very few games he played Duffo, Bogarde wore the lucky number 7 shirt.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Thanks Pete. Shevchenko must be proud to have inherited that squad number. No wonder he can't score, he's doing well to make it onto the pitch.