• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DP89

Official: Osgood Plaque Unveiled

DP89   

We wanted a renamed stand, or a statue, but this is what the club has done, click here

Got to say, although its nice he's being remembered at the Bridge in some way, I'm not to happy about this.

TOCFCWS: Captains John Terry and Ron Harris, the current captain and Peter Osgood’s captain in the 1960s and ‘70s, have unveiled a plaque in honour of the centre-forward behind the goal at the Shed end.

The ceremony took place on Sunday following the burial of his ashes under the penalty spot.

It is on the wall at the front of the Shed, behind the advertising hoardings.

Ron Harris said afterwards: “Ossie would have loved this, he’d have been proud of this.†And to emphasise what Chelsea meant to the two of them, he recalled the time when they went to Stockholm to watch the European Cup Winners’ Cup Final against Stuttgart.

“Our plane got delayed about six hours, and we got there only just in time for kick-off. When we took our seats there was such a cheer, and everyone sang ‘Born is the King’, and he followed Chelsea whenever he could.â€Â

The plaque was unveiled at the end of a ceremony which lasted an hour. It had started with the Chelsea Pensioners forming a guard of honour and the Coldstream Guards providing the music as Ossie entered the arena in his traditional way, behind captain Ron Harris and goalkeeper Peter Bonetti, but for this last time carried in a blue urn by widow Lynn with two of his sons, Anthony and Darren.

In an extraordinary 60 minutes, thunder bellowed, rain hammered and, at the end, sun broke through.

With two Matthew Harding Upper Tier season ticket holders, Martin Swan and Stuart Pendred, leading the prayers, eulogy and singing, and with groundsman Jason Griffin, a Chelsea fan from birth born just down the road, carrying out the burial, it was a very Chelsea affair as Ossie would have wanted.

I can see your point, as he is a true legend, but I think what they have done is OK but one thing I am not happy about is having the plaque right infront of the away fans. I think this is the time to get the hardcore fans back in the Shed.

Quite. A plaque, smaller than an A4 sheet of paper that no-one can see without getting on the pitch (and being told to get off) isn't quite what I was thinking of either...

kembo   

I wonder what some liverpool et al fans might do to it?

>I think this is the time to get the hardcore fans back in the Shed.

Any reason is a good reason.

Litchy   

About a few months ago I saw them taking down that really random statue of the fans from different generations so I thought they may put a statue up! Shame they havn't as he deserves better than this!

Don't see the point in a tiny little plaque situated where no one can actually see it. Renaming a stand or something would have been better and is a simple enough task to do and a nice gesture. Bizarre place to put the thing, unless of course their intention was for the goalkeeper to read it whenever he had a short moment to take a look. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Peter Kenyon, you are a disgrace. I'd use the money out of my back pocket to better this plaque, with all that money we have, you would think they would make more of an effort.

No excuses!