Forum Administrator

Musical Tastes

2,801 posts in this topic

Just wondered what kind of music people like? I like to go to the odd gig or two. My favourite bands during a very good year for music include The Rifles, The View and the Maccabees. They all look good to break into the mainstream next year. Favourite other recent bands include Dirty Pretty Things and of course, the Mick Jones produced, The Libertines.

Peter, I have never even heard one of the bands you just named. Do you guys in the UK listen to any american bands?

Nope, are there any good american bands? Red Hot Chilli peppers would be about the only one I can think of.

Nope, are there any good american bands? Red Hot Chilli peppers would be about the only one I can think of.
I do actually own all the Red Hot Chilli Peppers' albums and think they have a great sound, but I just wish they didn't sing gibberish. It limits their appeal.

I really can't stand the Libertines (despite owning one of their albums) and it's all too evident that they're produced by Mick Jones, that's why I think they sound really boring.

I love The Clash and think they were massively influential in English musical culture; however it's not exactly a fresh sound and I don't want bands today to be sounding like weak Clash wanabees.

The last album I bought was 5:55 by Charlotte Gainsbourg (daughter of the notorious Serge) with accompanimant by Air and lyrics by.......ahem....Jarvis Cocker. It's quite brilliant.

Oh so many, I don't even know some of the styles associated with the music I listen to. Mostly guitar orientated though I have to admit, since I am a guitar player myself, it's nice to draw inspiration from certain legends. I would say anything from Rock (and all sub-genres) Blues, Metal (And all sub-genres) Country, Reggae, and Led Zeppelin.... ;-)

I think eclectic would probably be the best word to describe my music tastes.

As a teenager, I'm bound to say people like Kanye West, Jagged Edge, Eminem and the like...

However I also have a tast for soulful sound of Luther, Marvin and co. Ultimate love songs :)

Went to see Steve Harley at the Sheperd's Bush Empire last night (if anyone remembers who he is). Managed to get 3 bodies from the front and got some superb pictures and a video of Make Me Smile (Come up and see me). Other gigs this year - All American Rejects (twice), Foo Fighters, Angels and Airwaves, Morrissey and Lucinda Williams. Will probably aim to see Alice Cooper for 7th time next year and a few others.

As a teenager, I'm bound to say people like Kanye West, Jagged Edge, Eminem and the like...

However I also have a tast for soulful sound of Luther, Marvin and co. Ultimate love songs :)

Agree with you apart from Eminem !!!!

Dj Quik

Dr Dre

John Legend

Jay Z

Big L

ETC......