arctic monkeys

the fratellis_saw them at trading festival last year-were amazing

get cape, waer cape , fly

zutons

the young knives

razorlight

kooks

dirty pretty things

larrakin love - at readin were also amazing!

:):):)

Musical tastes change throughout life, so this is my musical journey.....

1970s (little kid) The Sweet

1980s (older kid) Human League, Steve Strange, Japan...anything who wore make-up.

Late 80s (moody, I'm a deep teen and off my head) The Doors(big fan), Pink floyd, Moody Blues, Nick Cave.

Early 90s (in my 20s..deep but a bit of class) Nirvana, Red Hot chilli peppers, still into the above.

Mid 90s (got into 1970 easy listening, laid back classics) Simon and Garfunkel, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Cat Stevens, Van Morrison, Andrew Gold.

And now? Anything that doesn't annoy me!

hanuma   
Zappa was a really good guitarist but a bit too much of a p-taker to take too seriously as a musician. I had a few of his albums, but didn't follow him much. I do know he took on a couple of ex-Mahavishnu guys after MO2 finished - Jen-Luc Ponty and Marsha Westbrook spring to mind. I didn't pay any attention to Captain Beefheart at all tbh. Heard it, but had no reason to do so twice. Not much help, I know...

No, that's fine. Just interested to hear opinions about them from their sort of generation.

Both have become cult figures since (they probably were cult figures when they came out).

Certainly Z's 'Hot Rats' is an album that should be taken seriously musically imo.

I do not mind a bit of Indie, just too much of it lately (but I guess it's better than all the pop rubbish).

I'm into:

U2

Kraftwerk

Depeche Mode

Pink Floyd

Blue Oyster Cult

Guns N' Roses

Def Leppard

Duran Duran

The Human League

I have been putting all of my mother's old albums on her MP3 and listened to a few Oasis songs. Some of them are quality (Wonderwall, Champagne Supernova, Morning Glory, Some Might Say, She's Electric, Little By Little, etc).

As for newer bands:

Hard Fi

Milburn

Charlatans

The Rifles

Razorlight

Babyshambles

Boy Kill Boy

The Zutons

Oasis - I stopped listening to music before Oasis and only stated again after them. My 7 year old daughter's favourite album is by the Yardbirds - Greatest hists recorded around the time I was 7.

The Zutons - can you tell me why their first album was so good and their second so bad?

Litchy   
I like erm...

arctic monkeys

the fratellis_saw them at trading festival last year-were amazing

get cape, waer cape , fly

zutons

the young knives

razorlight

kooks

dirty pretty things

larrakin love - at readin were also amazing!

:):):)

Larrikin Love are amazing! 'The Freedom Spark' is one of the only albums where I listen to pretty much every track! Great live aswell.

Jon Doyle - you are making me feel old. Are the Charlatans still around? They started a few years before Oasis by the way. Loved their early stuff ('Sproston Green' and 'The only one I know' are anthems from my wilder years.) 'Indian Rope' came out in 1990 I believe and I don't think Oasis' first release was until 1993/4 .

I have a rather diverse collection but the bands/artists (and genres) I hold most dear are as follows:

The Stone Roses

The Doors

Cud

New Fast Automatic Daffodils

Dandy Warhols

The Smiths

The Wedding Present

Velvet Underground

Ride

DJ Shadow

Billy Nasty

Have been to close to 200 concerts but a few of the best ever were:

any time I saw Cud, what an awesome live act and drumming like you couldn't believe

New FADS ('Jaggerbog')

second time I saw Blur (May 1991)

The Stone Roses' final gig (Dec 1995?)

Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

The Family Cat

The Selecter

Been to soem incredible warehouse acts over the years too but Billy Nasty blew them all out of the water. Fat Boy Slim and Moby were surprisingly excellent live too and I really didn't like them before 'seeing' them live.

Recently I have developed a fondness for the tragically limited works of Nick Drake.

Most over-rated band of all-time - Pink Floyd.... hand me a gun please if I ever had to listen to a whole album again.

I like a fair few of your choices Damian. The Stones Roses had a great sound and were excellent live when I saw them too, which must have been in 95 then.

The Smiths I like even if Morissey is a bit of a wally.

The Velvet Underground made some truly brilliant songs, even if they encourage people to take heroin and like Andy Warhol too much.

I have all The Doors' albums which I purchased in my early teens, but I've gone off them quite a lot since. It's been Morrisson's cheesy lyrics that aren't poetry (there's a killer on the road, his brain is squirming like a toad); the fact that every single anti-establishment, pot-smoking drop-out thinks they're brilliant; the fact that the rest of the Doors were all in love with Morrison (there's some ridiculous quote of Mazerek's about when he first saw him on Venice beach, "splashing through the surf and he had diamonds flying from his toes!"); the idiots that pay pilgrammage to Pere Lachaise.

I think you should give Pink Floyd another go. They're responsible for some real cheese like Wish You Were Here, but the earlier stuff with Syd Barrett was brilliant.

My favourites:

Bob Dylan. Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks and Bringing it all Back Home in particular.

Tricky. Maxinquaye was the soundtrack to my youth.

Nirvana. The last band to really come and shake up the music scene with a fresh sound.

Lou Reed. I'm a big fan of both his solo work and that with the Velvet Underground.

Serge Gainsbourg. One of the most talented songwriters that's ever existed.

Jacques Brel. Unlike Jim Morrison, Brel's words were genuine poetry.

Then there's all the other stuff: Bowie, Joy Division, New Order, The Cure, The Jam, Air, The Clash, Massive Attack, Joan Baez, some Lennon stuff, various Motown, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix, Nina Simone, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, Van Morrison (mainly Astral Weeks, look at Lester Bangs' review)

and then there's the stuff I like but am thoroughly ashamed about doing so: Belinda Carlise, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Blondie, Elton John.

>Jon Doyle - you are making me feel old. Are the Charlatans still around? They started a few years before Oasis by the way.

I knew they were older but I have only just heard them myself. Maximo Park and Kasabian are good too.