• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

I went to the Auckland Big Day Out and Muse were by far the best act there in my humble opinion. I liked them before this but now I regard them as awesome! The sound is so much more massive live. As you say, It was going crazy when they played hysteria. I missed Kasabian too at BDO but mates who saw them thought they were brilliant.

I saw Muse at the Adelaide Big Day out a couple of years ago...Wow, they were awesome, that was a great Big Day out...Muse, The Datsuns, The Mars Volta, and Metalica to finish off...The Mars Volta were wicked too, they played 4 songs but the set went for about 40 minutes, no gaps.

The Datsuns were really good too, I find them similar to Jet but not so teeny boppy, if my memory serves me correctly, didn't the Datsuns self titled album come out just before Jet's, got really good write ups but when Jet came out, everyone pretty much forgot about The Datsuns and jumped on the Jet bandwagon...Dano would probably have a thought on this one.

LMFAO!

Waiting for the printer to get itself workin so I thought I'd venture into the non-footballing area of the site for the first time in 3 1/2 years.

And what are you all doing? Discussing Zappa, Lemon Insest and William f-ing Shatner.

Personally, I'm more of a soul boy (old school Al Green to new school Raphael Saadiq) with a liking of old Rod and The Faces. Gainsbourg is genious. The Dean, Frank and Sammy also keep on giving. Bit of Bossa Nova and jazz-type stuff.

My girl has also got me into the Guilty Pleasures side of things, but that's another story.

Being over in the States at the moment I have found myself increasingly drawn to the world of Country (yes with an o and an r) music.

Loving a bit of Joe Nichols flavoured easy listening business at the moment.

I love a lot of music. Traditional Cuban and Indian music, in general, is great; so too is Umm Kulthum. I like some hip hop and love anything by GZA. Also, a small amount of techno (like massive attack) is good to my ears... My favorite rock is the classics such as: the Clash, the Jam, the Rolling Stones, etc (the last rock I really liked was the Radiohead/Blur/Plup/Oasis "era".) Al Green is great, as is much old soul.

However, my favorite types of music are:

1. Rub-a-dub style dancehall reggae: Brigadier Jerry, Yellowman, Lone Ranger, Ranking Toyan, etc.

2. Classic reggae: Gregory Isaacs, Big Youth, Dennis Brown, etc.

3. The ten percent of ragga dancehall that is not complete junk: Buju Banton, Ninja Man, Anthony B, Capleton, etc.

"M-16" by "Lone Ranger" is the best album I've ever heard... and I've heard many.

For those of you who like Van Halen, it might interest you to know that they're reuniting with David Lee Roth. They may be old timers now, and the he may have lost a lot of his magic, but it'll be interesting to see. (I hope I'm not the only Van Halen fan here)

Years ago I liked the Police, Madness, The Jam, Visage, OMD and Ultravox. There were others who were also OK. However, I dont' bother with none of the modern stuff. It's all crap cover versions and repetitive, tuneless drivel. I stopped watching TOTP and listening to chart music after the dreadful Soul to Soul "Back to Life" song went to No 1 in the charts and also gave us the poxy dance/RnB era. Honestly, I would use every copy of that record for shooting practice!

> so too is Umm Kulthum

The legendary Egyptian singer? They played her alot on TV when I was a kid in Egypt (and occasionally when I was in UAE).

I remember once sitting in a Taxi and the driver was singing her songs, informing me of how breathtaking they were. He couldn't sing very well, but that didn't stop him.

I knew she was massive in the Arab world, but according to wikipedia, she was big elsewhere, too.

Jah Wobble has claimed her as a significant influence on his work. Bob Dylan, Maria Callas, Nico, Bono and Led Zeppelin are also known to be admirers of Kulthum's music.

She had been reffered to as "The Lady" by Charles De Gaulle, and is regarded as "The Incomparable Voice" by Maria Callas

Not too sure about who a couple of them are, but the rest sounds impressive.

Litchy   
I got to see Muse on Sunday night and they are a phenomenon. One of the best I have seen. When they cut into Hysteria the place went Crazy.

Tool were on afterwards and raised the bar again, what a performance!

Off to Kasabian tomorrow, missed them on the weekend so I am up for this one.

I (somehow) managed to get tickets to Muse at Wembley stadium (I think it might be the first gig there) and its the day my GCSE's end. Should be good!

I was riding my luck a tad though, considering I only got my GCSE timetable yesterday and booked Muse about 3 months ago =S

Apparently the Klaxons are supporting Muse though, which should be brilliant. I got their album 'Myths of The Near Future' yesterday and its the ebst thing I've heard for a long time!

For those of you who like Van Halen, it might interest you to know that they're reuniting with David Lee Roth. They may be old timers now, and the he may have lost a lot of his magic, but it'll be interesting to see. (I hope I'm not the only Van Halen fan here)

Wow, that should be interesting alright. Is this for recording or touring purposes? To be honest my favourite bits of VH were with Hagar as a frontman, but I do have some serious love for songs like Jump, Hot For Teacher etc. I'd certainly see them again if they went back on tour. Humourously enough the last time I saw them (Balance tour) EVH was sat on a stool to play as he'd just had a hip replacement LOL.

Eddie better not go back to that shitey red Kramer guitar with the tape all over it though.

Wow, that should be interesting alright. Is this for recording or touring purposes? To be honest my favourite bits of VH were with Hagar as a frontman, but I do have some serious love for songs like Jump, Hot For Teacher etc. I'd certainly see them again if they went back on tour. Humourously enough the last time I saw them (Balance tour) EVH was sat on a stool to play as he'd just had a hip replacement LOL.

I think it's for touring purposes, a summer tour, however I'm not sure where exactly they are touring. 'Dates and cities are yet to be announced'.

Apparently Eddie's 15 year old son 'Wolfgang' is stepping in for original bassist, Michael Anthony.

Eddie better not go back to that shitey red Kramer guitar with the tape all over it though.

Ah yes, the 'Frankenstrat' I think it was called. So called because they're basically put together using different parts of other guitars, just like Frankensteins monster. Here's some of Eddie's guitars, I personally like the 'Ernie Ball's' nearer the bottom, I'm pretty sure that's what he uses

For those of you interested, 'The Police' are re-forming too.