• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

For those of you who like Van Halen, it might interest you to know that they're reuniting with David Lee Roth. They may be old timers now, and the he may have lost a lot of his magic, but it'll be interesting to see. (I hope I'm not the only Van Halen fan here)

A big WOW, have got to see them. I prefered DLR as their front man, but that's not to say that Hagar didn't do a good job. Good bit of Rock 'N' Blues, can't wait.

>For those of you interested, 'The Police' are re-forming too.

Must have kissed and made up after their court case.

My choice of music is rather vast actually(not bragging!!!). Queen, KOrn, Metallica, Pantera, Ozzy, Chamillionaire, Lil`Flip, Paul Wall(texas is hot at the moment), Snoop, Chelsea songs(good at any time really). Theese are my favourites, but I give almost anyone a go(but slagg 90% off after first time though, haha), as long as it`s not boybands!!! Seriously that is just sick and weird!

Maksimov   

I like to have some variety to my music collection. It really depends on the mood. A good song is a good song, no matter who performs it.

The last five CDs I've listened to: XTC - Drums and Wires, BEIRUT - Lon Gisland EP, RAMONES - Anthology(cd 1), SIMON & GARFUNKEL - Old Friends(cd 2), SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES - A Present From the Past(cd 2)

Hmmm...for some reason there's quite a few compilations there.

Been meaning to find out if any Billy Bragg records are worth getting as I've liked quite a few of his songs that I've heard recently. Never had any Toots & Maytals on cd, so I've been thinking of buying their 'Roots Reggae' box-set to get that problem well taken care of. I really regret not asking the taxi-driver the other day what he was playing in his car. All I know it was some scorching hot African funk. I don't even know which country it's from, but I'm pretty sure of the continent. Sadly enough I'll probably never know.

I've been a big fan of Faith No More and Mr. Bungle since my early teen years and I've been waiting for Mike Patton to come out with something new that wouldn't be quite so artsy fartsy as his one man and a microphone record or quite as thrashy as Fantomas are. For some reason I ignored the Tomahawk records when they came out, but I recently saw

on youtube and I have to say I was impressed. As well as Faith no More, the band has people from Jesus Lizard, Helmet and Melvins. "Holy crap", was my first reaction..."this is a band I'd like to see live!".

I haven't been to a live gig for a long time, but next week I'm thinking of going to see this local ska band The Valkyrians do a Valentine's Day Special. In fact the last gig I went to was when The Valkyrians opened up for Aggrolites last year. Well, I just love to see them live. Their music puts a smile on my face and makes me wanna dance! Atomic Swing's comeback gig must've been the one before the Aggrolites gig.

I also (like to) think I have a vast and diverse range of musical tastes. The Who & Led Zeppelin are probably the best to ever emerge IMO, The Who also being the greatest live band in history too. I think Zeppelin made some masterpieces, primarily down to the fact that they experimented with so many different musical styles...It was just different. Pioneers of the Heavy Metal and Hard Rock genre, I think they deservedly go down as being one of if not the greatest of all time.

I used to (somewhat) be into Hip-Hop and what have you, but I honestly can't stand it now. Rap music lost it's appeal to me years ago, although I may occasionally listen to the odd classic. I still own a Fugees album, although my interest in Reggae probably made them appeal to me more than their Hip-Hop and R&B side. The modern day industry is nothing short of a joke however, it's all about bling-bling and way too commercial for my liking. The music itself isn't the main attraction to these people, it's just the glamorous lifestyle and getting something for nothing.

At the moment I'm listening to a lot of Rory Gallagher, he wrote some brilliant tunes. Stevie Ray Vaughan, and a bit of Joe Walsh too. EDIT: I was just listening to a Pantera album too. There's a good groove metal band.

Edited by BluEbOy90

Maksimov   
...I used to (somewhat) be into Hip-Hop and what have you, but I honestly can't stand it now. Rap music lost it's appeal to me years ago, although I may occasionally listen to the odd classic. I still own a Fugees album, although my interest in Reggae probably made them appeal to me more than their Hip-Hop and R&B side. The modern day industry is nothing short of a joke however, it's all about bling-bling and way too commercial for my liking. The music itself isn't the main attraction to these people, it's just the glamorous lifestyle and getting something for nothing...

I agree pretty much all of that. I like some hip hop too, but my favourite hip hop/rap acts include A Tribe Called Quest, Beastie Boys, De La Soul, Erik B & Rakim, Public Enemy and older stuff like that.

Edited by Maksimov

I agree pretty much all of that. I like some hip hop too, but my favourite hip hop/rap acts include A Tribe Called Quest, Beastie Boys, De La Soul, Erik B & Rakim, Public Enemy and older stuff like that.

I still love to listen to all of those especially Eric B and Rakim, and P.E. but no one beats NWA for me. Very few decent rap artists in the last few years. Dilated Peoples are pretty good but not sure how recent they are....they are still after 'my' time.

The Who also being the greatest live band in history too.

Have you seen them live? I always heard they were kind of formulaic since they had to rely so much on the pre-recorded synthesizer stuff that allowed them no room to improvise. Live music should never be a rendition of the recorded work unless it's a Britney Spears concert. That's why people like the Grateful Dead and Pearl Jam released so much live work since there was a variation to be found in each performance. I always thought when a live track worked really well it was because it was so raw it had not yet been recorded or because the concept from the recorded version had been worked on and expanded upon. I could be talking bollocks but the gigs I least appreciated were the ones where it sounded just like it did on the record.

I've got the song Up The Junction by Squeeze stuck in my head, after some geezer stuck it on the jukebox in the pub earlier. Good tune as well.

Have you seen them live?
Yeah a couple of times quite recently. I'd always heard them described as being on another planet when it comes to playing live, so I had to see for myself. I had no doubts in my mind that I would be blown away, even without the erratic Keith Moon on drums - who must have contributed to the whole experience hugely with his crazed antics such as blowing up the drum kit - they were brilliant. Even to this day, they'll put on a bloody good show. Some of their performances are legendary in Rock and Roll history, and it's a shame that I never got to see the original line-up (I wasn't even born when Keith Moon died), it must have been amazing. It's all about sheer energy and power. The first 100 watt Marshall amps were made specifically for them, I think because the guitars and vocals were just drowned out by Moons drumming.

In the late 70's, The Who played at Charlton Athletics ground, I think it was officially the loudest concert ever at that time. 'They put out 76,000 watts of power at 120 decibels... The "Guinness Book of World Records" dubbed it "the loudest concert ever". Nobody in the crowd of 60,000 came home without a ringing in their ears'. I'm not sure if the record still stands, I doubt it. 'The Kinks' played one at 140 decibels once, or so I'm told anyway.

I could be talking bollocks but the gigs I least appreciated were the ones where it sounded just like it did on the record.

I'm pretty much the same, in fact, I'm not even a very big fan of live albums. But, there are some that you simply have to own because they're so momentous. The Who's 'Live At Leeds' (Which many say is the best live album ever) is one of them. 'Frampton Comes Alive' is another essential one to own.

I saw Bon Jovi recently again, and I was impressed by them I have to say.

Have you seen them live?

I saw them live once. Bob Dylan played before and by the time The Who got onstage I was feeling a bit peculiar. It was all quite surreal, and things reached crisis for me when Trevor McDonald got onstage and started playing with them. It was at this point that I decided I had to leave, regardless of whether my girlfriend of the time wanted to stay or not.

Unconnected, I also enjoy a few of this person’s songs:

and their's although they're usually heavier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxaJIZ_FBsk
I always heard they were kind of formulaic since they had to rely so much on the pre-recorded synthesizer stuff that allowed them no room to improvise. Live music should never be a rendition of the recorded work unless it's a Britney Spears concert. That's why people like the Grateful Dead and Pearl Jam released so much live work since there was a variation to be found in each performance.
Like a conductor's interpretation of a classical work can be greatly different from another's of the same work.