• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

hanuma   

I've seen old footage of the Who.

I don't like them. I don't care much for judging the quality of a performance by how loud it is either.

As far as hip-hop is concerned...I prefer trip-hop. But Cypress Hill's first 4 and a half albums were very good...their 2nd and 3rd being their best imo.

I will check out 'Live at Leeds' because I am partial to 'The Who'. They were here last summer but I didn't bother going. A colleague of mine spent a few days staying at John Entwistle's house a few years back after meeting his son. From her stories I was not vaguely surprised at his untimely ending. Phenomenal bass player though.

Anyone hear remember 'There she goes' by The Las? They use it for some kind of menstrual medicine commercial over here (the Sixpence none the richer cover though). If only they knew that the song is about lead singer Lee Mathers' addiction to heroin (which prematurely ended the band and led to Cast being formed - pity). Oh the irony!

I was ready to finally see Bob Dylan at Glastonbury in 98 but they re-scheduled his show and moved it to another stage at an earlier time slot. I was gutted. Did get to see Tony Bennett though instead hahaha.

Ted I missed your earlier reply to me. Nina Simone was apparently just extremely strong-willed and domineering but yet taught them a great deal about the industry.

My family is steeped in Classical music with royal academy trained organists and symphony musicians, and choral members over the years. A cousin of mine is currently training to become an opera singer at the Guildhall. I recently heard a CD of hers and was blown away how good she is. She was an excellent cellist too by all accounts until carpal tunnel ruined those ambitions. Apart from my few years as a chorister the whole talent passed me by haha. I listen to Classical fairly often but do not have a massive knowledge of it. I prefer Baroque really and consider Bach the most gifted composer of all time, no matter the genre.

I think only 1 person has mentioned Reggae, but I'm really into that, andalso a bit of R'n'B whether it be old stuff like Marvin Gaye/James Brown/Stevie Wonder or newer stuff.

I love Marley but am not so into any one else. I quite like Steel Pulse and Black Uhuru. Saw Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers once and they were okay.

perkster   

fav bands include

The Weakerthans

Dishwalla

Pearl Jam

green Day

offspring

metallica

Tom baxter

The Killers

Muse

Radiohead

Pink Floyd

Bob Dylan

I have seen so many many bands live all the main huge ones over the last 15 years as I have been to about 12 Festivals 9each seeing about 35 bands) and many other gigs at local venues, love live music and play guitar.

most stuff with guitars in I like.

>I listen to Classical fairly often but do not have a massive knowledge of it. I prefer Baroque really and consider Bach the most gifted composer of all time, no matter the genre.

I listen to Classic Fm on-line, worth a try. I like Elgar myself, Pomp and Circumstance usually gives me a lift. Two places I've always wanted to go to are; the final evening of Last Night of the Proms and Cambridge University at Christmas for the carols. The Baroque isn't everyones cup of tea, but it paved the way for the next generation of composers. Some very good pieces from that period.

I'd love to go to Kings for that one day too. A distant cousin of mine, who I have never met, was in that choir for a few years. I was in the Cathedral where the whole nine lessons and carols was first thought up. I used to listen to Classic FM while in the UK. Forgot about it and will look online. I also used to listen to Jazz FM a little in London. It was so cheesey... "You are listening in technicolor".

Does anybody here like Gil Scott Heron?

I'm not 'in the know' when it comes to classical music, however I do listen to the occasional Paganini or Mozart now and again. I certainly appreciate most of the work. Mozart was a genius, to be able to learn several works at the age of four, and write compositions at the age of five (even if they were small, simple ones) is outstanding, it took no rocket scientist to realize that he would grow up to be a revelation.

Taking classical songs and performing them on the guitar is something that I've started to do, focusing mostly on Paganini, I believe he was a guitarist himself, but obviously most famous for his violin work. Some of it's very difficult, and I'm a long way off in terms of accurately emulating an entire piece, but at the moment I'm picking out certain extracts and incorporating them into other styles of music, such as Rock and blues. You get some very interesting results doing this.

I actually wish I had classical training. I don't think I'd have what it takes though. Not after all this time of developing such an unorthodox style and paying such little attention to devoting time to a strict practice regime. I wouldn't play much classical music, but becoming as technically proficient as many of these classically trained individuals are, would surely benefit me a great deal.

BB90, I listen to the Rachmaninov on a theme from Paganini a lot (The South Bank Show music if that is still running). I also listen to Handel and Pachelbel a lot. Handel actually lived and worked for many years somewhere in NW London, I forget where but not far from Canon's Park area I think.

I am a big fan of The Doors. Ray Manzarek the keyboardist was classically trained, John Densmore the drummer trained in Jazz, while Robbie Krieger the guitar player trained in the Spanish style (hence Spanish Caravan).

I had a good friend years ago (who got me into CFC) who trained on the piano and organ. He could improvise the most amazing Boogie-woogie jazz on the piano. I took lessons for 10 years but can't remember one thing. I took violin for a few years - my teacher was a buddy of the violin player from Dexy's Mignight Runners hahaha.

Anyone hear remember 'There she goes' by The Las? They use it for some kind of menstrual medicine commercial over here (the Sixpence none the richer cover though). If only they knew that the song is about lead singer Lee Mathers' addiction to heroin
I'm forever destroying my father's pleasure in things by telling him of their connection to drug addiction or something undesirable. At least since I told him about Robin Williams' publicised problems he doesn't watch his films anymore
I was ready to finally see Bob Dylan at Glastonbury in 98 but they re-scheduled his show and moved it to another stage at an earlier time slot. I was gutted. Did get to see Tony Bennett though instead hahaha.
Well I suppose you could seek solace in the fact that Bennett can sing.
Ted I missed your earlier reply to me. Nina Simone was apparently just extremely strong-willed and domineering but yet taught them a great deal about the industry.

My family is steeped in Classical music with royal academy trained organists and symphony musicians, and choral members over the years. A cousin of mine is currently training to become an opera singer at the Guildhall.

Excellent. Does she plait her pigtails and possess a heaving bosom?

Some old drunk in a pub I used to drink in sung opera while pissing. The whole pub used to go quiet to hear him.

I’m certainly no great expert on classical music or Opera, but I have been to some of the world’s great opera houses and seen a growing number of operas. I’m going to see la bohème in a few weeks.

I love Marley but am not so into any one else. I quite like Steel Pulse and Black Uhuru. Saw Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers once and they were okay.
Yes and even listening to Bob Marley required a certain amount of goodwill to ignore his cheese. I liked Jimmy Cliff and Desmond Dekker too.
I prefer Baroque really and consider Bach the most gifted composer of all time, no matter the genre.
Bach still gives me nightmares of my boring piano lessons (I got to grade six) all I wanted to do was sing Doors songs in my band.

I also used to play the trumpet in a local orchestra, but that was more contemporary stuff.

I’m more a fan of the classical era and even the romantic (mainly Tchaikovsky and Wagner).

I'd love to go to Kings for that one day too. A distant cousin of mine, who I have never met, was in that choir for a few years.
I used to go out with a girl that was studying at Kings and used to play in their orchestra. Unfortunately I never attended the Christmas concert at the chapel though. It’s a stunningly beautiful college.

I’m afraid I’d never heard of Gil Scott Heron until you just mentioned him and I looked him up on wikipedia.