• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

Watched 'Classic Album' the other night on Sky, this one was Deep Purple's Machine Head. Saw John Lord in the '80's when he played in Whitesnake. As for classical training, Randy Rhodes of Ozzy fame, was a teacher of the classical guitar, and bloody good he was too. Tragic waste of such a young talent.

As for classical training, Randy Rhodes of Ozzy fame, was a teacher of the classical guitar, and bloody good he was too. Tragic waste of such a young talent.

Yeah Randy was a great guitarist, it's a shame what happened to him. I don't think Ozzy's ever really managed to come to terms with it properly, it took him a long time to anyway.

I never knew he taught.

Maksimov   
I think only 1 person has mentioned Reggae

I'm not that much into Reggae...I'm more of a ska man. Mainly the classic Jamaican ska acts and the British 2-Tone bands. I like some Reggae too, but ska is more my cup of tea.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Jason Becker. He was an extremely talented young guitarist, who was part of the band 'Cacophony', and later replaced Steve Vai in the David Lee Roth band at just 20 years old. During this time (around 1989) he was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), which is the same thing that Stephen Hawking suffers from. His life was turned upisde down, his hopes and dreams were seemingly crushed in an instant. He was given just five years to live, yet he's managed to come through it all and still compose music to this very day, without having the use of any of his limbs or even voice. I find his story quite remarkable, it's deeply saddening but a truly inspiring thing at the same time.

You can see a short documentary about him here. Well worth a look. (I think it's a few years old however)

Edited by BluEbOy90

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Jason Becker. He was an extremely talented young guitarist, who was part of the band 'Cacophony', and later replaced Steve Vai in the David Lee Roth band at just 20 years old. During this time (around 1989) he was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), which is the same thing that Stephen Hawking suffers from. His life was turned upisde down, his hopes and dreams were seemingly crushed in an instant. He was given just five years to live, yet he's managed to come through it all and still compose music to this very day, without having the use of any of his limbs or even voice. I find his story quite remarkable, it's deeply saddening but a truly inspiring thing at the same time.

You can see a short documentary about him here. Well worth a look. (I think it's a few years old however)

I'm quite familiar with his work. Being a part of the Mike Varney/Shrapnel stable of shredders from the mid/late 80's. Cacophony had their moments but in general a lot of Becker's music (and many others from that genre) is rather inaccessible to the greater audience. Generally only appreciated by other guitarists. Although I agree he was very talented, his music was highy complex and can turn the average listener off. I heard about his illness when it was first diagnosed, as I believe Guitar for the Practising Musician or Guitar World ran something on him at the time. A very sad case indeed.

Just off to have a butchers at that docu. Cheers for the link.

Gronks

Benners   

I was delighted to find a compilation recently of the ravishing Siouxie.

I tried it out on the kids, only the 9yr old girl liked it, she thaught Siouxie was pretty.

The others are into this wishy-washy bubblegum metal & so-called gothic stuff.

When I told themSiouxie basicly invented the Gothic style, they just gave me that 'ok, lets humour the old fart' look

No pocket money for a month should regain their respect & admiration.

I was delighted to find a compilation recently of the ravishing Siouxie.

I tried it out on the kids, only the 9yr old girl liked it, she thaught Siouxie was pretty.

The others are into this wishy-washy bubblegum metal & so-called gothic stuff.

When I told themSiouxie basicly invented the Gothic style, they just gave me that 'ok, lets humour the old fart' look

No pocket money for a month should regain their respect & admiration.

And your kids generation were the ones who invented sex too.

Benners   
And your kids generation were the ones who invented sex too.

Bubblegum sex.

Amidst this sex talk, I found Angus and Julia Stone.

myspace.com/angusandjuliastone

angusandjuliastone.com