• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

Carlos Santana should be shot for poisoning my ears. So should John Lennon................oh wait a minute......

Are there laws for shooting a dead person again?

Edited by Paul Mcgoochan

How was he live, Harry? I should've known an erudite man such as yourself would like Gil :)

I have yet to see him live. I never really appreciated John Coltrane until I listened to Gil. He is also an author, bought one of his books a while back but haven't started it yet.

No-one in their right mind would listen to the stuff I like but I have occasional moments of populist clarity. It surprises the missus when I say she should definitely come with me to see some performances - those words fill her with terror (wise - it's not always successful). The good ones have been Lianne Carroll, Chris Calloway in a musical play called "Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill" doing a story of Billy Holiday's life (that was so 'realistic' it sent Liz cold), Tracey Chapman and most definitely Gil Scott Heron.

He used to be a big impressive man, but more recently a caricature shell of his old self. His band doesn't look a lot better with plenty of ganja usually available on stage. But from within that frame the timbre of his baritone is striking for its incongruity with his appearance. His songs are a throwback to a past time but if you allow for that you understand you're in the presence of a seminal performer. He sits in front of an equally skinny electric piano but the sound of him and the band he puts together is so professional you can barely believe he has no tape running. If you get any chance to see him before he pegs it you'll thank yourself afterward. When he's gone, he'll be gone and recordings won't reflect his significance.

I saw Miles Davis in his later days. His performance was a shadow of himself. Not so with Gil Scott Heron. Do yourself a favour and seek him out while you can. Really.

There's some film of him with loads of current rappers talking about his significance. He's the Godfather and for good reason.

kembo   
Carlos Santana should be shot for poisoning my ears. So should John Lennon................oh wait a minute......

Bugger off!

Santana , a latin genius with a guitar. I wish I could play like that. Read the book by Herman Hesse "Demian". Then check out the album Abraxas including a close scrutiny of the cover.

John Lennon

I can't agree less.

Flo17   

Anyone else like Sigur Ros? The song Hopippola was used in the BBC's Planet Earth advert and I really like it. Got a bit of stick for it of my mates but to me it's way better than than the stuff some of them listen to (heavy metal, etc.).

richard   
Santana , a latin genius with a guitar. I wish I could play like that. Read the book by Herman Hesse "Demian". Then check out the album Abraxas including a close scrutiny of the cover.

Have to agree kembo. The melodies he came out with were nothing short of brilliant. He's played with the great John Maclaughlin and that in itself is the sign of genius.

richard   
Anyone like Rory Gallagher? Now there was a great guitarist/musician. I'm looking to buy a few albums soon and will definitely be getting 'Irish tour'. I seem to have developed an interest in 'concrete blonde' recently, for those of you who know them, any album recommendations?

Brilliant blues guitarist. very underrated. Friend of mine had all his albums. Apparently he used heavy strings on his strat (as opposed to light or slinky) to get the best resonance from it. Must have been like playing cheese wires. A sad loss when he died so young (47)

I think that the term Brilliant Guitarist, is lost on some people, simply because we don't like the style of music which they play. Opera isn't my cup of tea, although I do like the odd piece, but I wouldn't say that the singer has no talent, just because of my taste.

I like Mario Lanza, but I wouldn't say he wasn't in the same class as Freddy Mercury, just different.

richard   
I think that the term Brilliant Guitarist, is lost on some people, simply because we don't like the style of music which they play.

Sorry if it's lost on some/you, and I can understand that but it doesn't make them any the less brilliant.

but I wouldn't say that the singer has no talent, just because of my taste.

Neither would I. On the contrary, they have exceptional talent, and would have to know how to read music too.

It's a case of degrees of talent isn't it? Some musicians are simply better than others because they know their instrument/musical theory better. e.g. I think John McLaughlin is a far better guitarist compared to Eric Clapton. He's faster and has greater technical ability than Clapton.

In an orchestra, you have violinists, as an example, who play within their particular ability. Not all violinists are virtuoso's and wouldn't attempt or have the necessary skill to paly something like the Brahms violin concerto etc.

Anyone else like Sigur Ros? The song Hopippola was used in the BBC's Planet Earth advert and I really like it. Got a bit of stick for it of my mates but to me it's way better than than the stuff some of them listen to (heavy metal, etc.).

I like them as well. Try listen to 'Glosoli''. IMO, 'Glosoli' and 'Hoppipola' are the only songs worth listen to from their album....

Edited by Jackass1987

I still love to listen to all of those especially Eric B and Rakim, and P.E. but no one beats NWA for me. Very few decent rap artists in the last few years. Dilated Peoples are pretty good but not sure how recent they are....they are still after 'my' time.

Yeah I like those artist to. But for me nobody is touching Nas on the mic. Pure genius