• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

12 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Sham 69's current drummer, Robin Guy, is a good mate of mine. Absolute nutter (a poor man's Keith Moon) but an amazing drummer. He's the G in GMT (Robin Guy, John McCoy & Bernie Tormé) and was also in Rachel Stamp. He's a "drum whore" (his words, not mine) and will play with anyone who pays! I once arrived at a gig and saw his drum kit on stage; I knew he was playing for the headline so seeing his kit on stage so early was unusual. First of the three bands came on, including Robin on drums. After their set, the main support came on... with Robin on drums. Obviously he was on stage for the headline act, too!

Regarding the Walton Hop... I don't think I was slim enough for Jonathan King's tastes!!! LOL But, yes, I remember seeing him wandering around in his tight t-shirt, silly wig and those glasses with that stupid grin on his face as he "chatted with the lads". Our guitarist's parents lived in Wellington Close on the Hepworth Way (the block of flats featured in "Psychomania" as well as some Monty Python sketches) and we often went back there for a 'smoke' and some beers with whatever girls we'd managed to pull (if any) rather than hang around at the Hop (they were pseudo-hippies and very relaxed and laid back... unlike my own parents!)

I find BBC4 has enough old footage to keep me happy for now... I'm not particularly keen on swelling Murdoch's coffers even more!

I'm not sure he was that fussy!...evil little prick.

Hepworth Way rings a bell. I used to live just off Cottimore Lane.

6 hours ago, Backbiter said:

I thought he'd get off.

Check out this interview with Ruby Wax (this is part 3) . The guy is bordering on retarded. Go right to the end of the interview (about minute 5) and prepare to be gobsmacked. 

He probably did it - but if he didn't, but went under all that pressure (and the death of his partner) in the meantime, that is pretty much exactly how I'd expect him to behave.  Far from retarded, just not showing the guilt & shame some expect from him

11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

He probably did it - but if he didn't, but went under all that pressure (and the death of his partner) in the meantime, that is pretty much exactly how I'd expect him to behave.  Far from retarded, just not showing the guilt & shame some expect from him

After this program (and probably after the civil case that found him guilty) Ruby Wax called him a murderer on live TV. She was utterly convinced . I thought how I (or anyone) would have reacted if my ex wife and mother of my children had been slaughtered and then I'd been framed for the murder by the LAPD. I would have been seething, bitter and vengful at my life being ruined. Anyone who still called me a murderer as I walked down the street  would have got it with both barrels, not smile it off as a joke and go and play golf everyday.

In the first part of the interview he laughs about how hot ladies still want to sleep with him, and how during the trial he would have wet dreams every night because he wasn't getting any lady action and then moaned because they didn't change his dirty sheets enough. To me he came across not quite right in the head and a bit retarded. I'm sure he's trying not to look shameful or guilty but it's far far too fake even for someone with his acting experience. Anyway he's in the slammer where he belongs now for kidnapping with a deadly weapon.

I caught a documentary a while back about a serial killer who claimed he'd done the killings. Here's a report on it:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/20/justice/o-j-simpson-film-claim/

Rogers explained to him that O.J. Simpson had hired him to break into his ex-wife's condo to steal diamond earrings he had given her.
"Glen told me that O.J.'s instructions were that 'You may have to kill the bitch,'" Meoli said. "Those were his exact words."
Simpson told him about a spare key to the condo hidden outside the door, according to Meoli's description of Rogers' account. The attack happened on steps outside, though, when Goldman unexpectedly arrived, he said.

The LAPD and the Goldman family were seriously unimpressed with the Discovery Channel for making the programme.

On 22/04/2016 at 0:56 AM, Bob Singleton said:

1990s weren't all that bad... Oasis, Pulp, Blur, The Smiths, Radiohead, The Verve, Garbage, Stone Roses, Lightning Seeds, New Order, Massive Attack, Suede, Ash, The Prodigy, Lush, Sleeper, Manic Street Preachers etc, plus, of course, my very good mates, Skunk Anansie :-)

As for musical heroes' ages... some of mine are (slightly) younger than me, others 30 or 40 years older... I never really got into Robert Nighthawk until about 20 years after his death, for example.

The Manics are the one band that blew me away. I saw them in Cambridge a few years back and boy, the energy! Awesome live act. 

I've tried to educate my kids on Elvis and the 90's Brit Pop, but to no avail. Though I have got 2 of them into Heavy Metal, albeit, slowly. Still can't get them to like Lamb of God, but give it time.

One band that I have discovered lately are these guys; 

Love the sound and feel of this album. You Tube can be a wonderful thing sometimes.

On 25 April 2016 at 1:24 AM, NoblyBobly said:
On 22 April 2016 at 10:41 PM, Droy was my hero said:

I was going to to ask on the TV thread,  but this will do.

Has anyone been watching Vinyl?  As ever I am catching up on episode 5.  I like a lot of it, hate a fair bit too, but keep watching.  Jagger M is a producer and it kind of feels like 1970 to 1977 in the way Mick would remember it - blurred and very much out of sequence.

Since I was 10 to 17 in that period I was clean living and remember it crystal clear (maybe not accurately, but certainly clearly).  And in my recall the move from boring old farts to the Nasty Bitz happened very very suddenly in 1976/7.  In 1976 I was still listening to Mike Oldfield, ELP and Yes (though I claim I was already telliing my friend that Pink Floyd and Genesis were boring).

Anyone else find Vinyl unturnoffable viewing?

Thanks Droy. Finally got an evening where her upstairs retired early and spent a rapturous couple of hours enjoying Vinyl. Started frequenting the concert halls in the late 60s, before doing the folk circuits myself prior to the realisation that it was never going to be an earner. The jump from stadium rock to punk etc. was a bit like taking a cold shower, but how invigorating: one day I was watching the Strawbs and Yes, the next it was Little Bob Story at the Nashville Rooms, Black Uhuru in Brixton. Vinyl is close to capturing the zeitgeist. Stopped going to Glastonbury a couple years ago when my hips complained too loudly about the mud, and my ears complained about the return of stadium rock. U2? Not me. Looking forward to the next Iggy. Where is he?

On 21/04/2016 at 8:29 PM, StebzAno said:

Yep, horrible year, David Bowie, Terry Wogan, Alan Rickman, Paul Daniels, Ronnie Corbett, Victoria Wood, Prince to name just a few.  

Oh bugger. Now Dave Swarbrick's gone too. Hope 2017 comes round fast - Keef and Mick ain't getting any younger.

1 hour ago, blue moon said:

Oh bugger. Now Dave Swarbrick's gone too. Hope 2017 comes round fast - Keef and Mick ain't getting any younger.

Although he hadn't played for a while, Cropredy won't be it's normal joyous occasion this year, I suspect. Another sad loss.