• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

55 minutes ago, Baloo said:

So who got the Live Aid Freddie Mercury pics?

Absolutely no idea as I watched it all at home. From those days, I'd imagine guys like Mick Rock (great name for a music photographer!) and John Price (sadly no longer with us) were there. I know Christie Goodwin was there, because every now and then she reminds me she was there and I wasn't!

Back then, all the newspapers had 10 or more staff photographers plus an army of freelancers they could call upon and only a few people, like those mentioned above, did music exclusively. It also wasn't until it happened that people realised just how big and important Live Aid would be. I know a few togs who turned down the job because they didn't want to be at Wembley Stadium for 12 hours shooting "has beens and never will bes" (as one of them put it).

Some of the iconic shots you sometimes see are actually stills taken from the BBC live feed, too.

Next Friday on BBC4
Might be interesting - perhaps for those not quite brave enough to be there at the birth of punk, but very greatful it happened.

1976-1985 Tribal Gatherings
The People's History of PopEpisode 3 of 5

Pauline Black, lead singer of Two Tone band The Selecter, looks at the years 1976-1985, when she first picked up a guitar and when music got involved in passionate protest and the high street filled with colourful factions of music lovers.

After a lot of big hair and big rock stars, punks brought pop back down to earth and, out of that, music lovers shattered into an array of pop tribes who posed with passion.

We hear from a man who loved listening to pop hits on Radio 1 and who recorded his own 'Record for the Day' in his incredible picture diary every day. And one former student at a college in Surrey tells how a ball at his graduation was saved by a favourite rock star when the headline act pulled out - neighbour Elton John popped over and played an intimate set on the college's grand piano.

We speak to fans whose lives were changed forever by punk, and the members of an Asian punk band who were inspired by the music to shout for what they believed in at Rock Against Racism gigs and marches. Mods, a Numanoid and a fan of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal explain why they chose their tribes, while Two Tone was the music that tried to unite the kids and just get them dancing. The reverend of Kerry parish shares her unstoppable love of Duran Duran, much to the regret of her punk fiancé. And pop fans were brought together by the experience of Live Aid, when music changed the world outside of us.

Unearthed pop treasures include a tambourine punched through by Sid Vicious, played by a Sex Pistols fan as he sang with the band on the Great Rock n Roll Swindle album. A former music promoter shares some rare items from the Sex Pistols' ill-fated Anarchy in the UK tour, and the son of artist Ray Lowry shows Pauline the drawings his dad did of The Clash's summer American tour in 1979, when Ray was taken as their 'war artist'. We feature some precious material that gives us an insight into the thinking of The Clash's lead singer, Joe Strummer.

I started getting into music at thirteen , my dad played guitar and taught me , after that Punk rock was a massive influence on me although at that age I was not allowed to go to gigs and there was no way my dad , a rocker was going to indulge me !

The fag end of punk , led straight into the NWOBHM carrying on with the "cottage industry" ethics and that was really what sold me,  by then , I was sixteen and could go to gigs with my mates.

Saw Iron Maiden countless times , Motorhead, Saxon, Raven, Trespass, Diamond Head , Limelight ,Geddes Axe ,Handsome Beasts , and many more obscure bands.

It was a love affair that is still going strong although in those days I was thin of waist and thick of hair and those positions have been reversed by the March of time!

I will definitely watch the program above , thanks for the heads up.

On 28/09/2016 at 2:04 PM, Baloo said:

Interesting view on Doherty, did Gemma find Pete a pain in the arse, whatever people say about him I find his music Shambles and Libertines the best around...

Completely forgot I'd written this until a friend reminded me about it (we were chatting about when he was putting on bands at the Scala as well as Nambucca, which was owned by a mutual friend back then... Gemma's dad)

http://www.getreadytorock.com/reviews2012/peter_doherty_gig.htm

Edited by Bob Singleton

Zoowraa   
1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Completely forgot I'd written this until a friend reminded me about it (we were chatting about when he was putting on bands at the Scala as well as Nambucca, which was owned by a mutual friend back then... Gemma's dad)

http://www.getreadytorock.com/reviews2012/peter_doherty_gig.htm

Seen Pete live with Babyshambles and The Libertines a few times over the years. I adored the Libertines as being 34 they were a great band that was perfect for my generation. I think they also captured the glamour of London perfectly at the time, though I had moved out of London by that point.

One of the best gigs I ever went to was when Pete had been released from prison and they played Birmingham Academy a few days later. He is a brilliant song writer and some of his lyrics still manage to make the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Can't stand me now and Time is for Heroes mainly.

I tend not to listen to them too much these days as my tastes are a little heavier now, but from around 2003-2009 they were something special in my life. 

They also made Chas n Dave cool again! Not many bands could achieve that.

Edited by Zoowraa

Baloo   
2 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

Seen Pete live with Babyshambles and The Libertines a few times over the years. I adored the Libertines as being 34 they were a great band that was perfect for my generation. I think they also captured the glamour of London perfectly at the time, though I had moved out of London by that point.

One of the best gigs I ever went to was when Pete had been released from prison and they played Birmingham Academy a few days later. He is a brilliant song writer and some of his lyrics still manage to make the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Can't stand me now and Time is for Heroes mainly.

I tend not to listen to them too much these days as my tastes are a little heavier now, but from around 2003-2009 they were something special in my life. 

Such an underated writer, I suppose thats what gives him appeal to the likes of us.

You will have to elaborate on the Chas n Dave bit

Zoowraa   
10 hours ago, Baloo said:

Such an underated writer, I suppose thats what gives him appeal to the likes of us.

You will have to elaborate on the Chas n Dave bit

Pete and Carl were both big fans/mates with Chas n Dave. I think they played with them on a couple of occassions. I knew a couple of lads at the time who feasted off everything that The Libertines referenced , so they went out and picked up Chas n Dave records, clothes etc etc..........Tony Hancock was another reference and there seemed to be a resurge in his popularity at that time .

13 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

Chas n Dave cool.  Really?

I know many people just think of Chas n Dave as a Spurs supporting novelty double act (you can hardly call songs like Rabbit, Gercha etc anything but). However, they previously had honourable music careers; Chas Hodges was in The Rebel Rousers that backed Cliff Bennett (managed by Brian Epstein) and The Outlaws (the house band for Joe Meek) which featured a young Ritchie Blackmore. Dave Peacock was also in The Rebel Rousers, but is better known as a session musician. However, I don't think anyone could seriously call them 'cool'.

Zoowraa   
6 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Chas n Dave cool.  Really?

I know many people just think of Chas n Dave as a Spurs supporting novelty double act (you can hardly call songs like Rabbit, Gercha etc anything but). However, they previously had honourable music careers; Chas Hodges was in The Rebel Rousers that backed Cliff Bennett (managed by Brian Epstein) and The Outlaws (the house band for Joe Meek) which featured a young Ritchie Blackmore. Dave Peacock was also in The Rebel Rousers, but is better known as a session musician. However, I don't think anyone could seriously call them 'cool'.

Cool might have been an exaggeration. Raised their profile probably a better description !

Baloo   
23 hours ago, Zoowraa said:

Pete and Carl were both big fans/mates with Chas n Dave. I think they played with them on a couple of occassions. I knew a couple of lads at the time who feasted off everything that The Libertines referenced , so they went out and picked up Chas n Dave records, clothes etc etc..........Tony Hancock was another reference and there seemed to be a resurge in his popularity at that time .

I think Doherty is just a free spirit and makes a point of being open to anything that stretches him artistically, this allows him to avoid being pigeonholed musically. He refuses to follow any musical code which is a huge part of his appeal in an age when music is so sanitised.

I saw him in Birmingham e arlier this year where he had several backdrops of Hancock, I knew he identified with Hancocks addictive personality but didn't know about the Chas n Dave affiliation.

New solo album later this year btw