• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

Recommended Posts

On 01/10/2016 at 1:37 PM, Mark Kelly said:

I started getting into music at thirteen , my dad played guitar and taught me , after that Punk rock was a massive influence on me although at that age I was not allowed to go to gigs and there was no way my dad , a rocker was going to indulge me !

The fag end of punk , led straight into the NWOBHM carrying on with the "cottage industry" ethics and that was really what sold me,  by then , I was sixteen and could go to gigs with my mates.

Saw Iron Maiden countless times , Motorhead, Saxon, Raven, Trespass, Diamond Head , Limelight ,Geddes Axe ,Handsome Beasts , and many more obscure bands.

It was a love affair that is still going strong although in those days I was thin of waist and thick of hair and those positions have been reversed by the March of time!

I will definitely watch the program above , thanks for the heads up.

 

Ah, denim cut-off with patches sewn on, bullet belt ( which is nowhere near big enough now ) dandruff flying about. And denim jeans that faded with time and grime.

Great days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zoowraa   

New Album by Korn released last week is a return to form for anyone into them.

Its the usual lyric content of being in pain and an outsider which can get a little tedious. However, some really strong tracks on the album and easily their best album in a good 10 years or so since 'Issues'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2016 at 1:37 PM, Mark Kelly said:

I started getting into music at thirteen , my dad played guitar and taught me , after that Punk rock was a massive influence on me although at that age I was not allowed to go to gigs and there was no way my dad , a rocker was going to indulge me !

The fag end of punk , led straight into the NWOBHM carrying on with the "cottage industry" ethics and that was really what sold me,  by then , I was sixteen and could go to gigs with my mates.

Saw Iron Maiden countless times , Motorhead, Saxon, Raven, Trespass, Diamond Head , Limelight ,Geddes Axe ,Handsome Beasts , and many more obscure bands.

It was a love affair that is still going strong although in those days I was thin of waist and thick of hair and those positions have been reversed by the March of time!

I will definitely watch the program above , thanks for the heads up.

 

I play in various bands around the Brighton area. A little while ago our usual guitarist couldn't do a gig. Our drummer said not to worry he had found a dep who was pretty good. Turned out it was Doug Scarrott who is the guitarist with Saxon!  We are not a heavy metal outfit but he adapted and played rather beautifully. Sorry for name dropping but I also played a gig recently with a guy called Adrian Oxell . He is the guitarist with James. He had just opened with James at Glastonbury and here he was playing with us to 50 people in a little club! Must feel weird.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I play in various bands around the Brighton area. A little while ago our usual guitarist couldn't do a gig. Our drummer said not to worry he had found a dep who was pretty good. Turned out it was Doug Scarrott who is the guitarist with Saxon!  We are not a heavy metal outfit but he adapted and played rather beautifully. Sorry for name dropping but I also played a gig recently with a guy called Adrian Oxell . He is the guitarist with James. He had just opened with James at Glastonbury and here he was playing with us to 50 people in a little club! Must feel weird.  

I think quite often HM fans are lovers of many different types of music , and have far more eclectic tastes than your average soul boy or indie kid.

I think this is possibly down to loving the guitar , HM is guitar-centric so lovers of the guitar gravitate towards it but because it the guitar that holds their attention they can appreciate the skills of a Tom Verlaine or a Johnny Marr.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think quite often HM fans are lovers of many different types of music , and have far more eclectic tastes than your average soul boy or indie kid.

I think this is possibly down to loving the guitar , HM is guitar-centric so lovers of the guitar gravitate towards it but because it the guitar that holds their attention they can appreciate the skills of a Tom Verlaine or a Johnny Marr.

 

I know plenty of musicians in various types of metal bands (death/doom/thrash/etc) who listen to everything from classical (Bach, Beethoven, etc) through to soul and disco, via blues, prog and jazz. I'm sure some of the fans show similar traits. Good music is good music, no matter the label/genre. In many ways, Mozart was the punk rocker of his age... he completely destroyed what had been before, and in many ways re-invented not only how music was written but also how it was performed. At the time, he shocked more people than Johnny Rotten ever did!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wishing Rick Parfitt a happy retirement after 50 years and 3 heart attacks. Status Quo without Parfitt is a bit like fish without the chips!

StatusQuo01.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Wishing Rick Parfitt a happy retirement after 50 years and 3 heart attacks. Status Quo without Parfitt is a bit like fish without the chips!

StatusQuo01.jpg

I didn't know that. I think Rick may have taken a look around this year at the horrendous loses in the music industry and thought "you know what I'm pretty lucky to be here- best quit while I'm ahead". Him and Rossi did enough coke in the old days to wipe out a small army so he needs to take real care now. One or two idiots in the past would say things like "what's difficult about Quo stuff.. they only play three chords?". The fact is that that mans hands are a  miracle of science. To keep your left hand in that stretched position and hugging the fret board while your right hand is motoring ten to the dozen across guitar strings that are as thick as pencils, is a real feat. To do it for 3 hours non stop (night after night) is completely super human. Just bought a very nice acoustic album of their's and it actually works very well. Hopefully he won't give up playing altogether. 

edit: I don't know if he was just posing for that pic but I think you caught him there with his gigging guitar Bob. He's owned that one for decades. By all accounts they were in Glasgow for a gig and he'd lost or damaged his guitar. He walked into a Glaswegian music shop and bought that one off the shelf . He loved it and has played it ever since.

Edited by NoblyBobly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a posed pic, Nobly. That's how Quo started gigs... Rick would come on alone from the left (as the audience would see it) playing his intro, all lights on him as he stood legs apart, then Francis Rossi would enter from the other side to join in with a spotlight following him as he meandered to centre stage, and as the rest of the band joined in (who were already in position under cover of the earlier darkness) all the lights would come on, smoke and wind machines doing their best to hide everyone... and off they went for a few hours of fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2016 at 9:58 AM, Bob Singleton said:

Not a posed pic, Nobly. That's how Quo started gigs... Rick would come on alone from the left (as the audience would see it) playing his intro, all lights on him as he stood legs apart, then Francis Rossi would enter from the other side to join in with a spotlight following him as he meandered to centre stage, and as the rest of the band joined in (who were already in position under cover of the earlier darkness) all the lights would come on, smoke and wind machines doing their best to hide everyone... and off they went for a few hours of fun.

Nice pic then!  Almost certainly he's thumping out the opening to Sweet Caroline (not the Neil Diamond song I should add!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zoowraa   
On 28 October 2016 at 2:15 PM, Mark Kelly said:

I think quite often HM fans are lovers of many different types of music , and have far more eclectic tastes than your average soul boy or indie kid.

I think this is possibly down to loving the guitar , HM is guitar-centric so lovers of the guitar gravitate towards it but because it the guitar that holds their attention they can appreciate the skills of a Tom Verlaine or a Johnny Marr.

 

Yeah agree with this Mark. My mates tend to be more into indie music and we do share a passion for some same bands such as The Cribs, Titus Andronicus , Arcade Fire to name a few.

Yet they don't get metal/rock in the slightest. I have tried to get them into the likes of Mastodon, Metallica, who are both two of my favourite bands but they just can't get it. I think your right that it comes down to the guitar and riffs, if you love guitar riffs then I think it gives you that appreciation of other types of music much more.

Another one that baffles me a little is people who don't like any variation of rock/metal, yet they love The Prodigy who have done numerous heavy tracks with massive guitar riffs throughout them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now