• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

Greg Lake gone now , Keith Emerson earlier, If I was Carl Palmer I'd be refusing to open my door.

Jasonb   

Hi Chaps and the occasional lady,

I have had a bit of time on my hands the last 6 weeks so thought I would plough through this thread to see what we had in common and what I had been missing.

I’m not a big music fan like a lot of you, I just switch on the radio and flick through a few stations depending on what time I am driving in the car.

In my early musical years and I started late I was influenced by Tops of the Pops and what my work friends were playing. During these years I went to see Simple Minds, U2, Peter Gabriel, OMD, Big Country, Prince and the Pogues.

I recall the Cult and their energetic fans supporting Simple Minds at the Milton Keynes Bowl in 1986 and getting very sunburnt. The rest are a blur.

Looking back with musical hindsight I wish I had gone to see Queen, Eurythmics, Depeche Mode (Violator album) and Prince (Sign of the Times Album). Such is life like missing the match of the season only to discover later it was the best match of the season!

This thread has got me checking lots of different groups on Youtube and I can see why many have not yet made it really big like the Editors, Maximo Park, Sigur Ros or Bloc Party .

I appreciated Miles Kane and Lauara Hannigan has a great voice yet above all I can’t understand why The Enemy are not massive. For me the Enemy are like a cross between Madness and the Jam and have cracking songs.  The only thing I can think is their look and songs have a British working class theme. Perhaps that is their downfall.

I’m in my early 50’s now and find I have recently been checking songs from the past I was not open to and enjoying singles from the Cranberries and Paul Young.

Since the Millenium I have enjoyed Verve, Pulp, Killers and the Vaccines and the occasional single from groups like Stereophonics or Kings of Leon.

Got myself a ticket to see The Stranglers again at Cambridge next year performing their 'Classic Collection'.

At the front for that one.

17 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Rick Parfitt now.

2016 can just hurry up and **** off.

It's only a few months ago (and about 3 pages ago) that I posted a photo I took of him on here, wishing him a happy retirement after he announced he wouldn't be touring with Quo again. 2016 has been a particularly bad year :-(

Edited by Bob Singleton

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

It's only a few months ago (and about 3 pages ago) that I posted a photo I took of him on here, wishing him a happy retirement after he announced he wouldn't be touring with Quo again. 2016 has been a particularly bad year :-(

I read a recent interview with him where he said he couldn't be doing with acoustic gigs , he wanted to rock out ,  my kinda guy.

RIP RICK 

Bloody hell ! George Michael now. A real musical genius. 2016 the year music died.

We've still got another few days left too , gulp.