• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

On 5/28/2018 at 11:14 AM, Mark Kelly said:

I went to see The Skids last night at the beginning of their fortieth anniversary tour and would urge anyone who likes "that kind of thing" to go and see them , they were absolutely fantastic and with Spear of Destiny as tour support its real vfm .

Remember them well. Saw Sham 69 a short while ago (I am or was in fact a Hersham boy...or pretty damn close). I often wonder how todays coolest badest gangster rap artists are going to cope with reforming when they are 60+. The AK47/slap ma bitich philosophy might have worn a bit thin by then. But I feel the essence of the punk/rock n roll philosophy is still very much there there if you scratch below the surface a little bit.

Edited by NoblyBobly

Sciatika   

I may have seen Chelsea play at Chelmsford FC once. There are not many of us who can say that. It was 1977 and it was the punk band rather than the team. The concert was at Chelmsford's at New Writtle St ground - closed and demolished a short while later. I had hoped to see The Jam, Generation X and The Damned. The first two dropped out and, when the Damned found out they weren't going to get paid, they refused to play. To be honest, I don't remember Chelsea playing. The Rods were the best thing (they did a short set) and Aswad for the few minutes they played but people were chucking stuff at them. Only 1500 people there. It cost me three quid.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/city-rock-chelmsford-1977.html

But after all, I can say that I may have seen Chelsea Play at Chelmsford FC.

Edited by Sciatika

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Remember them well. Saw Sham 69 a short while ago (I am or was in fact a Hersham boy...or pretty damn close). I often wonder how todays coolest badest gangster rap artists are going to cope with reforming when they are 60+. The AK47/slap ma bitich philosophy might have worn a bit thin by then. But I feel the essence of the punk/rock n roll philosophy is still very much there there if you scratch below the surface a little bit.

I lived in Molesey, but had loads of friends from school from Walton and Hersham. I knew JP back then (along with guys like Paul Weller, Bob Geldoff and The Stranglers) as I was in a band that played places like the Walton Hop and venues in and around Kingston, Woking Guildford etc supporting them. It was on the back of knowing them that when I went to uni I worked alongside Nick Rayns booking bands like The Police, The Jam, Madness, Boomtown Rats, Elvis Costello, Motorhead etc for the students union and got my start as a music photographer (selling photos to local newspapers, NME, Sounds etc)

You're right regarding rap/hip-hop... can't see the likes of Jay Z still giving it large in 40/50 years. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I lived in Molesey, but had loads of friends from school from Walton and Hersham. I knew JP back then (along with guys like Paul Weller, Bob Geldoff and The Stranglers) as I was in a band that played places like the Walton Hop and venues in and around Kingston, Woking Guildford etc supporting them. It was on the back of knowing them that when I went to uni I worked alongside Nick Rayns booking bands like The Police, The Jam, Madness, Boomtown Rats, Elvis Costello, Motorhead etc for the students union and got my start as a music photographer (selling photos to local newspapers, NME, Sounds etc)

You're right regarding rap/hip-hop... can't see the likes of Jay Z still giving it large in 40/50 years. 

You must look back on those times with a sense of wonder. The Hop was my stomping ground (thankfully managed to avoid Johnathan King and his ridicules wig.) The talent in those artists you mention was so extraordinary and so real that you could taste it. You were lucky to be in such close proximity. They were cool too but it wasn't all about being "cool", which is a criticism I could throw at many modern day artists. Back then they could back it up with incredible songs that can and have spanned generations. I shall be watching Elvis Costello soon at the Love Supreme Fest near lewes and those songs will still sound amazing as will he.

Will Stormzy songs still make people shiver with delight  40 years from now? Pretty sure they won't. Go back five or 6 NOW  compilation albums and see how many artists are still relevant.

Talking of people who have stood the test of time, Sir Cliff Richard is still looking pretty good for his age, don't you think? 😉 😉 😉

VB looks like Cliff Richard.jpg

• Haha 2

Ruudboy   

"Handsome little brute", as a chum of the late great George Melly is reported to have said. Unfortunately,  by the late fifties "his erotic twitching turned from a bent-kneed shuffle, not so much a sexual courtship dance as a suggestion that he'd wet himself; and his material became soppier and soppier". (Revolt Into Style - 1970, George Melly).

49 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Talking of people who have stood the test of time, Sir Cliff Richard is still looking pretty good for his age, don't you think? 😉 😉 😉

Better than Victoria Beckham, anyway.

Cliff Richard plants a 'singing tree' in the Park of Music

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

VB looks like Cliff Richard.jpg

Devil woman 

Cliff was on a sell out tour of Japan, and on the last night he said he was tearing the set-list up and he would sing whatever the audience wanted him to sing. Big roar of approval followed by the crowd, in unison, chanting "Tits and Fanny!! Tits and Fanny!! Tits and Fanny!!" Looking perplexed, Cliff says "I don't think I've ever written a song by that name" but the crowd continue chanting "Tits and Fanny!! Tits and Fanny!! Tits and Fanny!!"  "OK, OK, OK" says Cliff, "what are the lyrics and I'll try and join in if I know it"
"Tits and Fanny, how we don't talk Henry Moore"

[Sorry]

JaneB   
18 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Devil woman 

Well you've got to hand it to VB, what a transformation!!!  Not popular to say so, but apart from being too thin and looking miserable, I think she looks fab!!  

vb as cr.jpg

victoria-e-david-beckham2.jpg