• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

chara   
9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Got into Jimmy early-ish 70's with Come Monday, and the brilliant Margaritaville. Have/had all his albums up to around the 90's, after which (imo) they became a bit patchy. My favourite album (and one that I still have on cd) is 'Living and Dying in 3/4 Time', which is perfect from start to finish. 

Anyone looking for the (near) perfect collection should try getting hold of 'Sun, Sea And Margaritas' - 40 cracking tracks across 2 cds. Released on Hump Head Records in 2014, and still available as far as I'm aware. 

Have a lot of his stuff and you are right they did get a bit patchy but the earlier stuff certainly hit the Island feel without the "touristy" glitz.....not just Island stuff always loved "Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown"...and "He Went To Paris".....a song to ease in a tear without any false sentiment.

Have CD/DVD of live concert just down the beach from where I worked..see earlier ref to  Bankie Banx and the Dune...........

6 hours ago, chara said:

Have a lot of his stuff and you are right they did get a bit patchy but the earlier stuff certainly hit the Island feel without the "touristy" glitz.....not just Island stuff always loved "Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown"...and "He Went To Paris".....a song to ease in a tear without any false sentiment.

Have CD/DVD of live concert just down the beach from where I worked..see earlier ref to  Bankie Banx and the Dune...........

One of my very favourite favourites, and of course, off 'Living and Dying in 3/4 Time'. :).

chara   
54 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

One of my very favourite favourites, and of course, off 'Living and Dying in 3/4 Time'. :).

Ahh..got me drifting back to Island Times and some more country JB stuff...:"Livingstone's Gone To Texas"....and smile memory...three Island friends had a mellow jazz trio...not everyone goes for 24/7 reggae!.....chilling out one night as they played at a local hotel....guest went up to them and asked if they knew and would they do "Cheeseburger In Paradise"

Straight face reply..."Is that a Brubeck number?"

A lady in tie dye..........this close to Nashville is too close for me........gentle magic...

Oh and I have a version of :He went To Paris" somewhere by Waylon!!

Edited by chara

She said Mamma I'm fine if you happen to wonder.

I don't have much money but I still get around.

I haven't made church in near thirty-six Sundays

So f**k al those West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gowns.

chara   
36 minutes ago, Ruudboy said:

Just realised I’m missing out. Jimmy Buffet on order. Thanks chaps.

Yep..some classic stuff......not looking like anything special..sawTennessee Tags and she waved for a ride........try John Stewart..."a little figure by the roadside with a sign that just says PLEASE...so you fishtail across three lanes of traffic...where you going honey?...Seattle mister...hell I was going to the store for cigarettes but I'll go to Seattle if you want! (from the Phoenix Concert and from memory so hope I got it right!)

I never was meant for glitter rock'n' roll.......really got me wandering through my playing cards....the somewhat Spaghetti Western bar I ran in the 70's "El Aguilla"...first song I played as I opened was John Denver "Eagle and the Hawk"......and the Beach Bar my office #2 and I ran on the hotel beach of a weekend in the caribbean afternoon I always opened with Ritchie Havens.."Here Comes The Sun" ...Ruudboy you know that story.........

Rambling through the years with so many fine songs....in Aranjuez....with Rodriquez...(?spelling)....an Ex SAS guy playing the circuit in Spain...."Peaceful Easy Feeling"...."..with a million stars all around"....  a fond lost memory.....a bunch of 19/20 year olds harmonizing..somehow,,,:Stewball" to one of us about to go abroad with work...and I'll stop before it gets boring....and Old Man now passed, a friend; asking me to play with my three cord playing skill an old PP& M song...."Play Pretty Mary" for me.....a sniff...

Oh MT....about to post an Aussie related post on the TV forum...be interested to read your response.

On 9/9/2021 at 9:34 AM, chara said:

....I always opened with Ritchie Havens.."Here Comes The Sun"

Another great song writer and a magnificent interpreter. From what I've been able to find over recent years, sadly neglected by his former U.S. record company, which is a huge shame. .

A lot of his stuff was released/reissued on the Aussie label, Raven Records, which sadly went out of business a few years back. Much of that catalogue though is still available on eBay. Highly recommended is the double cd which combines the albums 'Mixed Bag' and 'Something Else Again'. Classics!

Edited by Michael Tucker
Clarification

chara   

Wandered back here after replaying a tune or two...and checking lyrics.....funny how often we..I assume others as well.....mishear words or a line and go with them for ever...checked Nashville gowns....The highway 4 exit...I heard that as... on the highway for ever...and ..on old loose leaf paper..I heard as somethink like on old oilskin paper...

Anyone else got examples?...oh and Paul Simon.....how she combed her hair and parts it..(I think)...always heard it as she combed her hair and farted!..plain as day!

..some of it's magic..some of it's tragic...it's been a good life all the way....thank you JB....couldn't have said it better.....

Edited by chara

Ham   

For years I thought The Police were singing "A year has passed since I broke my nose" in Message in a bottle.