• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

My ipod has Madness, Hendrix, the Sex Pistols, Sinatra, even Elgar - a broad cross section of musical taste.

Personally though, late Beatles onwards (from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road with a special mention to The White Album), Hendrix (esp his version of Hey Joe - the best song I've ever heard), and anything by Blur - Britpop was at its height when I was 16-17 in 1995/96 - I know every generation has its favourites but the Britpop years produced some great music - Parklife is a great album with Modern Life is Rubbish very underrated. I used to like Oasis before they became a parody of themselves and started lifting rifts from The Kinks.

Saying all that - my favourite chilled out moments on holiday are sitting on the balcony, plugging in the speakers, putting some Frank Sinatra on the ipod and crack open a beer while watching the sun go down before going out for the night - sheer perfection.

kembo   

Just bought a Seth Lakeman album after seeing him live. Brings back memories of decent music.

What do you consider to be the top albums of all time? Looking at a list earlier:

http://www.albumvote.co.uk/files/albums.shtml

P.S Anyone heard 'The National'? Only heard about them the other day but 'Mistaken For Strangers' in a quality song.

Had a look at the list.Mmmmm?

I always wondered what makes an album good.

Do people vote for an album because they like 1 or 2 tracks and not the whole thing? Was the album a major breakthrough in music, as in something new and fresh?

Or as in the case of the Beatles, do they favour a particular songwriter? I like the odd track of theirs, but the Beatles do absolutely nothing for me. Some are classics in their own right, respected by people all over the world.

It's not my usual taste, but I would have put Dido' no angel in that list, fantastic album.

Had a look at the list.Mmmmm?

I always wondered what makes an album good.

Do people vote for an album because they like 1 or 2 tracks and not the whole thing? Was the album a major breakthrough in music, as in something new and fresh?

I think a good album should have at least 5 or 6 quality tracks, not just one or two. That's why I think '(What's the Story?) Morning Glory' is the best album ever as it is all brilliant.

OzzyCFC   
I think a good album should have at least 5 or 6 quality tracks, not just one or two. That's why I think '(What's the Story?) Morning Glory' is the best album ever as it is all brilliant.

I've always prefered Definitely Maybe to Whats the story.

I've always prefered Definitely Maybe to Whats the story.

A lot of people say that, but I definitely prefer (What's the Story?) Morning Glory. 'Wonderwall', 'Cast No Shadow', 'Champagne Supernova', 'Hello', 'Some Might Say', 'She's Electric', 'Morning Glory', 'Don't Look Back in Anger', 'Roll With It' and 'Hey Now!' are all amazing songs and would all be hits on other albums IMO.

Anyone who likes Sigur Ros (are there any other fans out there?) should try 'The Album Leaf' and 'Mum.' They are both top notch bands. I think the guy from Sigur Ros is in 'The Album Leaf.' Not sure though.....

Edited by Jon_Doyle

An album should always be judged as a whole body of work, otherwise you should be judging individual songs on their own merit. Clearly that is why Pink Floyd make it so far up these lists and they have never been a singles band with the exception of 'The Wall' being the only 'hit' I can remember. Never understood why people like Floyd though personally. Bores me to tears. They are so popular here in the US that just every music buff I tell is surprised that I really don't like them.

As for Oasis albums 'Definitely Maybe' is much better than 'What's the Story' and not because I heard it first but because the songs are raw and what 'rock n roll' is meant to be about. What's the Story has some great tunes but is very produced and that is not what a bunch of lads like Oasis should ever have become. As for 'Cast no shadow' it's dreary as hell, and 'Roll with it' is pretty awful too. I have fond memories of being in pubs in London years ago where someone would put several songs from that album (the good ones mind) and all 200 people packed in the place would sing along in unison. Mad for it.

Anyway I checked out the list and quite frankly it's bollocks that The Stone Roses aren't number one. That is my completely impartial analysis. Other than that I have always felt that The Jesus and Mary Chain's seminal debut album 'Psychocandy' should be in an all-time top 10 as it is pure energy and visceral music that wasn't duplicated until Nirvana released 'Nevermind'. I am probably on my own though. I watched some Libertines stuff online and they're nothing compared to the early J&MC.

These lists are always so concentrated on the last ten years. I remember Pulp's 'Different Class' being high on the lists a decade ago but down at number 65 now No way will The Strokes or Arcade Fire be on anything 10 years from now.

I've always quite liked the Beach Boys for what they are, pure pop with some nice harmonies and the classic 'Good Vibrations' so I tired of seeing 'Pet Sounds' so high up these rankings without having ever heard it. I popped down to WHSmith and purcahsed it, went home preparing for a Sgt. Pepper type moment and was completely disappointed.

Anybody like Mazzy Star?

Someone settle an argument.

For 17 year olds, who is the most well known band?

Kate Nash/Maximo Park/Dirty Pretty Things or Lonestar/Travelling Wilberries?

Litchy   
Someone settle an argument.

For 17 year olds, who is the most well known band?

Kate Nash/Maximo Park/Dirty Pretty Things or Lonestar/Travelling Wilberries?

Possibly the most pointless argument ever, as it all depends on what they listen to... but definately the first lot in my case... though I am 16.