• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

Mehrino   

Radiohead's latest offering, 'In Rainbows' is availably to download from their website, and you can pay what ever you want, or nothing at all!

I think it's a great move from the band, and it could possibly revolutionize the way other bands offer their music, on top of the fact that it's a great album.

Look here if you're interested:

http://www.inrainbows.com/

Is that out now? Cracking idea IMO!

The Subways.... loved 'No Goodbyes' but I haven't heard much else. Wiki says the album is currently being finished.

Nope, are there any good american bands? Red Hot Chilli peppers would be about the only one I can think of.

Pixies,Dinosaur Jr,Pavement,Hot Hot Heat(canadian like the Dears and Arcade Fire),The Flaming lips,Interpol,The Shins,Modest Mouse(now with added Johnny Marr),We are Scientists,The White Stripes,The Strokes,Kings of Leon,Sleater Kinney,Quasi,Elliot Smith,Sparklehorse oh God I better stop I could be here all week.

Britain, by contrast has ruined any good work done by the Libs, Babyshambles,Aim,Paperboy,Belle and Sebastian and the (Godlike) Delgados by allowing Razorlight to exist when we've had every opportunity to stone Borrels bore mongers to death on the street.

Obviously I've restricted this to bands active in the past five years or so.Guided By Voices have been the best band in the world for the past thirty years(even including Joy Division and The Smiths).

Hip hop is a different subject but has lost its way since Eric B and Rakim's "Paid in Full".

Music I like ?? Well good question Peter.

Being a youth in the 60' s I much preferred The Stones to the Beatles. Then Ska and Reggae really woke me up, Tamla, Stax and anything on Trojan .

Apart from Bob Marley the 70's were pretty rank until the arrival of punk. The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Damned were a breath of fresh air, later followed by The Jam. Paul Weller - still the Modfather in my view. I loved the ska revival and Two Tone records in the 80's.

In the 90's I think Blur over Oasis, but it was close

I've got to be honest and say very few recent bands do it for me. can't think of one I could name and say I bought their stuff.

I despise prefabricated bands. Leave the planet !!

So right about the Beatles(the Stevie Me of music)The stones hammer 'em.

Don't be so hard on the new stuff though.Being an old gimmer like meself try James Yorkston and the Athletes but avoid any NEW ska bands like the plague.Not that JY is Ska he's just a bunch of p***ed blokes from Scotland playing amazing songs slightly out of time.

'Control' a film about the turbulent life of Joy Division's frontman Ian Curtis has been getting rave reviews in the papers. Sounds a definite must watch for any JD fans.

Another good shout.I reread "touching from a distance"(his wifes account of it all) the other day just to whet my apetite.

Mehrino   

Sigur Ros will be performing at the upcomng electric proms and have a film out called 'Heima' and just seeing the trailers it looks absolutley breathtaking. I think there's a Culture Show special on them in a few weeks too. Fantastic band!

Fratellis - Henrietta

the song is a masterpiece!

I must take back any negative comments I have ever made about a certain Mr. Pete Doherty, I bought the Babyshambles on the weekend and I love it... love Pete's lyrics, love Pete's music and love his voice...

anyone who is holding out on listening to this album because of his "antics" should give it a go and I reckon they will be pleasantly surprised...

Any prog rock fans out there heading to RUSH tuesday/wednesday gig at Wembley?

"What about the voice of Geddy Lee,how did it get so high?,I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?"from"stereo" by Pavement.

Gotta love Rush too!

Benners   
"What about the voice of Geddy Lee,how did it get so high?,I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?"from"stereo" by Pavement.

Gotta love Rush too!

Apparently he was inspired by playing Bonnie Tyler 45's at 78 rpm.