• Current Donation Goals

CFCnet Admin

Musical Tastes

Fentini   

Anyone who loves Jazz from the 50,s Just got hold of Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" Album. Truly brilliant .

It is the biggest selling jazz album of all time with 10million units being sold so far and it still sells today .

Treat yourself .

Mehrino   

Current stuff I'm in to:

British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music

Foals

Lightspeed Champion

Edited by Mehrino

Current stuff I'm in to:

British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music

Foals

Lightspeed Champion

yeah Lightspeed champion is superb, especially love the tunes "Midnight Surprise" and "Tell me what it's worth"

hanuma   
I recently heard something nice by RH Factor which led me onto other stuff from
worth a listen.
The tonal quality of his playing is so impressive, so smooth, but I must say I do feel like I'm missing an awful lot when I listen to this style of music. I get why it's good, why it's clever but anyone who has properly studied a bit of music would. I feel almost jealous of people that can enjoy it for the sake of it, what is it that you're hearing that I'm not?

I mean I'd choose to listen to a million things over this, less challenging, in many cases certainly simpler and more disposable, but for the life of me I can't see how the simple almost primal pleasure I get from that music could translate to experiencing such a challenging sound.

Or perhaps it can't and it's just how much pleasure each person derives from being challenged in the first place. Or perhaps many people aren't challenged in the slightest by this music and I should just go back to my hamster wheel, complete with Pixies background music, and stop worrying my silly little head over it.

Edited by hanuma

Benners   
Or perhaps it can't and it's just how much pleasure each person derives from being challenged in the first place.

I think you'll find a lot of challenged people on here!.

Obviously this isn't the most accessible type of music around, thats why you'll never find it in the top 10.

And this particular instrument is very assertive - military even, thats why there are so few top drawer trumpeters.

I can't listen to this kind of stuff with my family, they don't like it, so it's I-pod fodder for me, or for when I'm marking homework.

What frustrated me in the video, was seeing Brecker stroll-up for his solo & the clip abruptly ended.

I recently heard something nice by RH Factor which led me onto other stuff from
worth a listen.
Sounded to me like 5 different soloists all being forced to reluctantly play as support for 5 different soloists (unheard) each playing one of 5 different songs. Challenging - names those tunes - sure, but not entertainment.

Well that is my opinion anyway.

Like Hanuma I'm off to my Hamster wheel.

What frustrated me in the video, was seeing Brecker stroll-up for his solo & the clip abruptly ended.

Perhaps he doesn't like to blow his own trumpet. <rimshot>

Benners   
Perhaps he doesn't like to blow his own trumpet. <rimshot>

Brecker blow his own trumpet??. The man was a sax maniac.

R.I.P.

Fentini   

Well I have found a whole new experience in the art of music from people I have never heard of before and some I have never bought an album just the singles .

The car and in house music centre have been working overtime as the sound of the late 50,s and 60,s waft out into the back garden as I float around my pool with beer in hand thinking I,am a cool Jazz cat .

The Jazz is just breathtaking .Where has it been all my life when I was younger I just thought it was a jumbled mess . How come its much clearer to me now.

I have spent some dollars on the following please try and get hold of some of these titles they will blow you away .

Sketches of Spain Miles Davis

In a Silent Way Miles Davis

The Birth of Cool Miles Davis

Mingus Ah Uhm Charles Mingus

Focus Stan Getz

Now loved this band in the 70,s but never bought the album . The Isley Brothers 3+3 it truly is a masterpeice

of soul sounds . That Lady,If you were there ,(covered by Wham) Summer Breeze, and The Highways of my life.