• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hanuma

Can You Be "too Articulate"?

hanuma   

A question that came up in a discussion about a book (Sandor Marai's 'Embers');

I challenged the notion that it is even possible to be too articulate, but it was argued that articulation is basically the expression of ideas and that you can express too many ideas therefore making the writing too articulate. I thought this was a gross simplification of the meaning of being articulate. Surely you can’t be too articulate, but you can articulate too much. But does that then become inarticulate? Inarticulate meaning “lacking the ability to express oneself, esp. in clear and effective speechâ€Â.

Anyway. It's nothing important, just been bugging me. Am I confused here?

Benners   

There is often confusion between articulation & elaboration.

some writing becomes cluttered when the author tries to be too much of a wordsmith.

It's all about expression.

hanuma   

Thanks. Makes sense.

Certainly over-elaboration seems, to me, to be the issue with the book.

Edit: Then again it is translated from Hungarian. So, I'm guessing/hoping, Hungarian is a more abbreviated language than English.

I personally don't think there's such a thing as too articulate, but there is such a thing as talking too much.

When I first glimpsed at the title of this topic, I thought it said 'Can You Ejaculate' or something lol. :-)

Swiftly moving on...

Anyway, I don't think you can really be too articulate, if you're able to use your elaborate words in an effective way then that's great.. But I'm one of those who have no idea what the word articulate even means. ;-)

I've nothing against people being articulate, only people who use long words to make others feel inferior.

Dano   

I believe you can be over articulate, I.e. use posh words when you don't have to or shouldn't. Over elaborate to me is just over explaining something. Over articulate is like what Paul is saying

hanuma   
I believe you can be over articulate, I.e. use posh words when you don't have to or shouldn't. Over elaborate to me is just over explaining something. Over articulate is like what Paul is saying

That sounds like being too wordy, or just pretentious. Not too articulate.

Dano   

we probably think articulate means different things, if articulate is expressing yourself then you can express yourself overly so in a certain manner and thus be too articulate

kembo   

The amount of verbal diarrhoea I hear these days is well matched by the written variety.