• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CFCnet Main Site

Back In The Day - The Wrexham Connection

Younger supporters and our good friend Johnny Come Lately would surely find it impossible to reconcile the current Chelsea with the late-70s/earl-Y80s version, when the only thing worse than the club's league position was its financial one. (Kelvin Barker)

http://www.CFCnet.co.uk/content/results_detail.asp?ID=6393

Younger supporters and our good friend Johnny Come Lately would surely find it impossible to reconcile the current Chelsea with the late-70s/earl-Y80s version, when the only thing worse than the club's league position was its financial one. (Kelvin Barker)

http://www.CFCnet.co.uk/content/results_detail.asp?ID=6393

Good piece mate. Yeah, would be great to go back to Wrexham again...last time I went was in a knackered out minibus for some god-awful midweek Cup Replay back in the early 80's. Took far longer than we anticipated, so piss-stops were banned for the last hour as we tried to get there in time for KO. Some of us in the back were getting desperate - has anyone else ever attempted to pee in a crisp packet and lob it out the side vent of a Transit? The bloke next to me did, and it wasn't pretty. (Billy the Chef from Southend, where are you now?) My receptacle of choice was an empty beer can. Well, what comes out will go back in, right? Wrong. It's amazing how much the teenage bladder can hold! Had to beg for more empties half way through, ooooooooooh the pain!!!

Anyhow, think we managed to equalise late in the game and they tossed a coin for the venue of the 2nd Replay. Chelsea captain called it right and we danced like nutters on the freezing terrace. On the way back, the minibus carburettor started leaking or something, anyhow all I know is that we had to stop at almost every Motorway Services and fill the bloody thing up with petrol, cue some increasingly angry whip-rounds! We eventually made it back to Essex by about 4 in the morning, skint and knackered. But still in the Cup! Ahhh, them's were the days...

We've all got favourite periods of our history for sure. You can't argue with today's achievements and the players are top class. I'm split between the Jose, Johnny Neal and Eddie Mac reigns as the best. Probably still stick with Eddie Mac's, as the buzz of supporting CFC as a teenager will stick with me forever.

However, the promotion season in 84 was fantastic too. We were, let's face it, a club massively on the decline and how John Neal turned it around with relatively little cash was amazing. I was on holiday for the 5-0 Derby game but got back in time for the rumble at the Goldstone. It was then that we all felt we were on to something at last.

Two things stand out about Mickey Thomas. Firstly, the reception he got at the Hawthorns when we played WBA. Secondly, and I might be wrong, players only recently had started to warm up on the pitch but I NEVER saw Mickey doing a pre match warm up. Probably playing cards in the dressing room.

Joey Jones - Imagine Cole, Bridge & chums coming over to the West Stand and pumping us up like he did. Probably get sent off.

As for Eddie Neddy, just loved the fella. Les Fridge came close, but this lad was a top goalkeeper. Pity for him that he was around the same time as Neville Southall.

Great post I was lucky to go with kelvin to wrexham too see them play hartlepool and found a very different ground to the one I remember from the early 80s. we were given a great day and treated like v.I.p the whole set up is very fan based (great shock to system)as lets face it mr kenyon dont give a stuff about us,the only people they care about is big business and the prawn sandwich brigade.we have a duty as one of the biggest clubs to try to help smaller clubs and no club deserves our help more than wrexham,so come on mr kenyon do us all a favour and do the right thing!!!!

Fantastic article, lovely memories. I go back further - Dave Sexton era (although I was 8) and remember Eddie McCreadie as a player and a great manager - Johnny Neal's great team too. Great memories of an era when we seemed a bit more of a peoples club and less of a corporate 'brand'. But that's just the old git in me I guess.