• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CFCnet Main Site

Change The Champions League

With the Carling Cup now waiting in the Megastore for kids with unsuspecting Dads to be photographed at ten quid a go, our attention returns to the three more important trophies left to play for.

United rode their luck last Saturday but full marks to them. We are proud in a perverse sort of way when we play badly and win; that is what United did last Saturday. (Richard Micallef)

http://www.CFCnet.co.uk/content/results_detail.asp?ID=6419

True, but then I dont really care about Forest, Red Star etc not winning the Cup anymore. We had our years in the wilderness and am selfishly pleased to be where we are now.

Anyhow if we're talking about greed ruining the champions league, what about the English game? It would be fair to level the same accusation at the Premier League but we are not saying it would be better if Norwich or Leeds (for example) were competing for that.

Unfortunately greed/money is the major factor of the modern game, so we'll just have to get on with it. The romanticist in me knows it may have been 'better in the old days', but there's little that can be done except enjoy Chelseas time in the spotlight.

Don`t think it is going to change for up until 20 years, when everyone is bored with the system, and som bloke is saying" enough is enough". And UEFA will have their hands on a big problem. Thing is then, will 90 small clubs bring down 10 big ones? I`ll go for a "no" at the moment.

"Am I the only one who thinks that the Champions League format should be changed? Am I the only one who thinks it’s getting a bit too predictable?..."

Yes, you are the only one. The Champions League is fine. If any Premiership club wants to play in it, they can. They just need to get well and truly sick of mediocrity. Chelsea had already qualified twice for The Champions League before Roman came. We did that by getting sick and tired of being crap and making the right steps to improvement. For me, that really started with Glen Hoddle's appointment.

Is the Champions League predictable? Yeah, a bit. But nevertheless, Porto came from nowhere to win it just three years ago. And two years ago a rubbish team called Liverpool fluked it so don't tell me the romamce is dead. The Champions League is no more predictable than the top thre teams in the Premiership each year, or that Lyons will win the French League or that Bayern Munich will win the German Title 3 times out of 4. The cream will always rise to the top. Who exactly will be the cream is predictable but not set. "The future is not set...." - Reese to Sarah, The Terminator.

Change the Champions League - yes - bring in a Euro league and stop this messing about with meaningless league and cup games all over Europe. Kill off most internationals too.

What is the point of playing a Premier league where to win it you have to go through the season without dropping more than half a point a game. It is a lottery based on who Keith Hackett and his closed shop wants to win. And leagues in other big countries are even more boring.

Make it a knockout tournament, and if Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or any G14 parasites are knocked out by Xmas, tough! But somehow Uefa don't have the guts to stand up to them.

Karan   

The semifinalists in 2003/04 were Porto, Deportivo, Chelsea, Monaco. Hardly the list that people expected. In 2004/05 PSV reached the semis. And last season Villareal reached the semis. So there always seems to be an unexpected element, which is yet to be seen this season. Lille and Benfica surprised many last season as well.

RR's quite right when he says teams should be fed up of mediocrity and aspire to push up the leagues (perhaps like Everton 2 seasons ago). There's a level of unpredictability in the CL at times (perhaps except in the Draws for the QFs, Groups etc).

Perhaps the only change that could be made IMO is have 24 teams participate in the Groups with the top from each group (12)into the Round of 16 with the next 4 best 3rd placed teams scraping through. That'll also make the UEFA Cup more valuable as a trophy and scrap the damn Intertoto cup. But that's probably a step back in time - which UEFA may not want.

Change the CL? You're not Platini's friend, are you? :)

bornblue   

They should just do away with the seeding and country protection in the group phase. You could have United/Chelsea/Barcelona/Real Madrid in one group which I'm sure would do the tv ratings and attendances the world of good. This would aslo throw up the prospect of a group full of minnows of which 2 would qualify for the knockout phase. This would at least give them a better chance of further prgression over two legs with away goals counting instead of being humped by 3 richer teams in the group phase.

I would like to see the top 2 teams from each league in the Champions league...

A. The last weeks of the domestic leagues will be more intriguing with tight finishes

and

B. It will actually be a "Champions League" with the "top" teams getting through, not 3rd and 4th who in some cases are up to 15 - 20 points behind 1st.

Hey I'm the first to say it will never happen, but I can dream...

kembo   

The Champions League

Eligibility criteria.

To be the Champion of your own country's league. Or is that too logical?

Perhaps 2nd place playoffs to allow one or two more teams in if you really must.

Otherwise it's just about money.

Platini will change things I hope.