• Announcements

• Forum Administrator

New cfcuk fanzine out today!   02/07/2016

If you can't get to the match, why not download the latest cfcuk fanzine. It's the word on street from the fans that matter!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sir

Formula 1

0 posts in this topic

Any one watch Formula 1 here, I can't wait for it to start again but it will be weird not having M.Schumacher there!

I'm liking the new Honda car with the picture of the Planet on it...Apparantly they are forgoing all sponsorship on the car for the whole season to raise awareness of global warming, now that would have to be alot of money not going into the teams pocket/car.

It will be different without Shuey but hopefully it will tighten things up, although Alonso could be a bit of a Schumacher and run away with it...

I think if Raikonnen gets the right car and drives in the style that he's capable of then Ferrari will have a chance of the Driver's Title. Doesn't have the personality of Schumi but perhaps the best replacement.

Ferrari are my favourites for the Constructor's Championship this time round - Massa seems an excellent replacement for Barichello. I'm not quite sure on how Alonso will do this season - I think he may struggle. All depends on the Cars this time round, the first 3-4 races may provide something more concrete. Favourites - Ferrari, Dark Horse - Honda.

Hopefully an Alonso-Raikonnen rivalry will be a good one. IMO there hasn't been a tremendous/exciting rivalry since Schumacher-Hakkinen or for that matter Schumacher-Hill. Plus the field seems open enough for a 3-4 way horserace for the Drivers title (one can hope so).

The duos to look out for are obviously McLaren - Alonso, Hamilton (interesting to see how he performs); Ferrari - Raikkonen, Massa; Renault - Fisichella, Kovalainen; Toyota - Schumacher, Trulli; Honda - Button, Barichello

Why has Alonso left Renault for McClaren, surely thats like leaving Chelsea for Spurs... :S

I like the look of young Robert Kubica in the BMW, very impressive. Also, I think Toyota might finally come good, and go on with things, unlike Honda who didn't go anywhere after Button's belated win.

Why has Alonso left Renault for McClaren, surely thats like leaving Chelsea for Spurs... :S

He won the championship twice with Renault, and wanted to go to a bigger team in McClaren.

I dont know much about F1 Sir Robben, but surely Renault are bigger than McClaren, because I) theyve won the drivers thingy twice in a row, and ii) McClaren are sh!t nowadays....

I suppose it's like a very good football player playing for Bolton for example, having two amazing seasons and a bigger club wants the player. Renault only have the two championships which Alonso won, and McClaren have 8. The times for McClaren have been a bit poor of late, that's why they wanted Alonso. McClaren have 125 poles and 128 fastest laps, where Renault have 50 poles and 27 fast laps etc

Honestly, I admire the technology in Formula 1 very much, but is there truly a "competition" in terms of who comes in first in the race? Maybe its because I've watched primarily in the Schumacher era but it just doesn't seem very competitive as a sport. As I understand it, most of the teams are using the big team's old engines, so to say they have no chance (assuming there isn't a big wreck or a technical problem) is a gross understatement. And in most races I've watched over the years, the only suspense was whether Schumacher was going to blow an engine. He started in the pole and finished first and virtually nothing of import happened in between.

I have to confess that my son has made me something of an Indy Car and NASCAR fan. I know the cars are miles behind in terms of raw speed, and there is something to the notion that tactical driving on an oval is less demanding on the driver, but the suspense of who is going to win is palpable. Particularly in NASCAR, they bend over backwards to ensure virtual parity in the cars (the differences are mechanic's tweaks not brute engineering) so that the race is decided by luck, alliances in the draft and the talent of the drivers. I HATED and sneered at NASCAR for most of my life like most Americans born anywhere but the deep south, but now I have to confess I find it kind of exciting.

I'm still hurting after Alonso left Renault! Apparently he didn't get along with the rest of the team all that well, in addition to wanting a 'bigger' team... but why leave the champions of the last two years :( Raikonnen is going to be seriously dangerous in a decent car. I used to dread when he'd get ahead. You didn't even see his dust after a few laps.