• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Founding Member

Osgood Memorial - Update

From TOCFCWS

Chelsea Football Club has reconsidered the positioning of the permanent memorial to Peter Osgood following correspondence with supporters.

The tribute to Ossie, which will be in the form of a bust as agreed with his widow Lynn, will now be located in an area fully accessible to the public that can be visited on matchdays and non-matchdays.

It will be in an appropriate place opposite the West Stand Millennium entrance probably at the south west corner of the Shed Wall, one of the few original structures remaining from the Stamford Bridge which he adorned during his career.

Osgood's ashes have already been buried under the penalty spot at The Shed End of the ground following a memorial service earlier this season. A plaque on the wall facing the pitch exists as a permanent mark of that ceremony.

Chelsea FC will be commissioning designs for the bust in the near future and consulting with Lynn about which is the most fitting.

Lynn said: "I am delighted to hear that Chelsea Football Club are to place the bust of Peter in an area that will be accessible to all the fans that loved him so much. It is fitting this lasting tribute to the King can be appreciated by all and we thank the club for making this possible."

Osgood died just over a year ago and a tribute to him involving his family and many of his team-mates took place before the league match against Tottenham at Stamford Bridge last March.

As Spurs are our visitors this weekend the club would like to express its thanks to their fans for the way they observed the minute's silence on that day.

Codger   

You beat me by seconds. :-)

Great news, and nice to know the club is listening. Good place to put it too, very busy entrance.

Why not go all the way and have a statue? That would stand out from a distance as well. Not as if we can't fund it.

syza   
What exactly is a "Bust"?

It's a sculpture thats just head and shoulders.

Ahh right, as mentioned above...why not just go all the way and build a statue?

That will cost SOOOOOO muc more. A bust will also be much more east to handle. I`m for a statue though.

batz   

This is great news. I like so many supporters wasn't at all happy at the thought of the bust being stuck away in the east stand. It's fitting that it is now going to be located near the shed wall.

Victour   

I was surprised to see the Shed Bar renamed the Blues Bar why couldn't Chelsea call it the Kings Head and fill it with Ossie memorabilia including a Bust / Statue outside as Ossie was the Shed's King and I think a Pub named after him would make him smile

Sir   
What exactly is a "Bust"?

Well it's not a nice pair of tits for starters!