• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dano

Dano   

I've seen a few trailers for this film and I must say it looks pretty amazing. Based on Frank Millers comics, the same guy responsible for Sin City, and more loosely, the historical battle for Thermopylae, it was filmed entirely on green screens. Supposed to be visually stunning although it won't win any prizes for best plot etc because its an action movie at heart, just watching the trailers gets my heart racing. There has also been a lot of fuss about Iranians complaining about the portrayal of the Persians in the film. It has been released in the US and elsewhere but doesn't come to NZ til April 5, so alas I haven't seen it yet. Anyone seen it? Anything interesting to say about it?

You can choose from a few trailers for it here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=300%2Btrailer

Saw the trailor when I was watching Hot Fuzz. I'm not into comics/sci fi particularly but I have to say it looks amazing, and I'll prob go to watch it.

It's out on Friday over here and I think I'm going to see it next Wednesday (because of the Orange Wed deal). The trailers look amazing but I doubt there will be any 'developing characters' or anything, just shouting, fighting and more shouting.

Saw it almost two weeks ago (first day of release). The trailers fit the movie. If you liked them, you'll enjoy it. There's none of that nonsense where the most exciting parts of the movies are in the trailers, and the rest is bad.

I loved it. Good action movie, with stunning visuals. Absolutely stunning.

I love a good action movie and I loved Sin City -- another interestingly rendered film version of a Frank Miller classic (when will they do Dark Knight Returns) -- but 300 was without doubt the worst movie I've seen in a long time. It has been universally and thoroughly panned critically over here and with good reason.

I too was very excited when I saw the trailer and a friend and I went the first night it was out. She fell asleep and I was looking at my watch the last 1 and 1/2 hours. It is actually quite BORING. The dialogue is laughably bad and even the battle scenes -- most of them filmed in a sort of Matrix-style bullet time with 360 rotating camera angles -- get very boring and meaningless after the first 15 minutes or so.

I'm not actually penalizing it for how laughably bad the history is; I am an amatuer historian and know a fair about the Peloponesian wars, but I rarely penalize a movie for taking artistic license IF IT IS WELL MADE AND DONE FOR A GOOD, ARTISTIC REASON. Here, the historical boners from costuming (a Spartan hoplite wore armor into battle including a breast plate and greaves, not diapers; the Persians are beyond ridiculous) to what actually happened in the battle and surrounding poltiical situation (too long to detail) are amazing, but I expected that because it was a COMIC BOOK. What I object to is how poor it was even on its own terms.

This is nothing more than a bad Sin-City-Meets-Matrix-Meets-Lord-of-the-Rings. If you've seen the trailer, you've seen the best. Don't bother with the movie because its nearly 3 hours of your life you wont get back.

The fact that it is based on a graphic novel and not actual history is one worth considering. I read an interview with one of the creators where he says that they didn't go for the accurate approach but for the 'cool' approach. They wanted an enjoyable film not a history lesson.

Ouch. Seems like me and WB are completely on either end of this.

As for historical truth, the theater I went to was packed. An elderly gentleman told me that maybe alot of them came due to history class knowledge. Even before the movie started I replied that it would be ludicrous to watch this movie for history's basis. There's more historical fact on a single history book page than on the entire movie.

The dialogue was not good. Won't deny that. Even more funny was Gerard Butler's unfortunate ability to allow his Scottish accent to creep in his voice.

The director wasted too much time on slow-motions in the fight scenes. But some fights were well done, in my opinion.

a Spartan hoplite wore armor into battle including a breast plate and greaves, not diapers;
Lol. No knowledge of Greek history (apart from a bit on democracy), yet no argument from me here. But this was what was done in the comic. The movie was just being faithful. A review of the comic harshly criticised it here.
the Persians are beyond ridiculous

Very true. But the nation's backlash to the movie has given me more entertainment, for free too. I might be biased. Xerxes is the oddest character I've seen in awhile.

It has been universally and thoroughly panned critically over here and with good reason.

Seriously? I mean, it has had it's many criticisms, but there have been people who've enjoyed part of it.

I went to the movie with little expectations other than a good action movie. For that, it provided. It's nowhere near the class of 'Little Children', 'The Queen' or 'Babel', which I watched the week before 300. But they're good movies with solid stories. From what I've known, '300' never pretended to give that impression.

Also, I've heard that the director made this movie as a test run for the next movie he's directing, 'Watchmen', which happens to be more popular than '300'. Haven't read either comic, so I don't know the validity of that.

I've heard mixed views on this one. It certainly does a lot in terms of eye candy, but I've also heard rather negative comments from people who've seen it. I can't remember exactly what they said, infact I can hardly recall anything, but I'll make my mind up when I watch it for myself.

The one thing that I hope, as can happen with most 'epics', is that it doesn't drag on too much. There's nothing worse than being subjected to lots of glorious blood shed in the opening scenes and getting all excited, only to be bored for the next two or three hours with ridiculously long and pointless dialogue.

It's based on a comic book, so I'm not expecting a completely serious account of an historical event or anything 'artyfarty'. As long as it's fun, full of thrills, blood spillage, and good looking women I'll be pleased. I enjoyed Sin City, so that's a good start.