• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CFCnet Main Site

Could The Revolving Door Be Spinning Again At Chelsea?

hanuma   

Nice article, I have a few points to raise in relation to it.

Mark Hughes was the last manager offered up as Jose's successor....*cough*...

The club seems to have tried it's best to uproot a lot of Jose's influence - trying to make an infrastructure involving Arnesen and others that is more flexible for if and when we have a new manager - trying to make sure the club doesn't fall apart at the loss of it's leader. Getting rid of Jose would likely prove to be a nightmare and I honestly believe the club know that too (probably naivety). Jose has always maintained that, whilst he will give everything to the club in his time with us, Chelsea was another step on his own career ladder. The club had to make sure that it is bigger than its manager. I believe Jose when he says he won't go unless he is told he isn't wanted (again, probably naivety) so I don't see it happening; firstly because he is the best and secondly there aren't any really great replacements out there.

I expect the club will want to continue building an independent infrastructure outside of its manager so it's never entirely dependant on whoever is in charge - I think there is probably a right and a wrong way to go about doing that.

Madrid was a different situation imo. An already giant club that underestimated the contributions of Del Bosque to it's success (even if they did try and sign him up as Sporting Director after sacking him as manager). Chelsea seem to be scared of the massive contribution Jose has in the success of the team.

BTW, here are Madrid's former leaders reasons for their strange decision to get rid of Del Bosque - the Spanish media tried their hardest to rationalise it into Del Bosque v the players, despite not having any evidence to support their theory.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/3012442.stm

PS- I wish I could find some half decent quotes to back my theory up, unfortunately all we get from Buck, Peter and Roman are "Jose is great and under contract till 2010". Maybe someone else has something different from them that can help me out or tear my theory down.

How many times? The club have said countless times they want Jose to be here next season and are planning for him to be here next season.

It's nothing like the time with Ranieri when they NEVER said that and only stated the length of his contract. They have made their position crystal clear - Jose wants to stay and the club and the owner want him to stay and give him full support, which was NEVER the case with Ranieri. Totally different IMO.

Kenyon and Buck are both on record as saying they want and expect Jose to be here next season and for the long term, and have said RA does too.

Anything else comes from 'a source close to the club' 'a source at the top of the club', 'sources close to Mourinho', or 'club sources'. That is, they have no evidence whatsover to back them up. They keep continuing becuase people keep buying the papers and are so quick to beleive what the media says over what the club have said - which is that they want to keep him.

Maybe Jose is more relaxed as he knows for sure he will be here next season and becuase he feels we are finally in a position, with players back and only 3 points behind, where we can really catch United in the league and win all four trophies. Maybe Roman has told him there is a large amount of money available in the summer or is ready to give him a new contract.

Roman is not stupid enough to sack one of his most outstanding and successful employees becuase he had a disagreement with him. If he is then he's more petty than I give him credit for. As long as Jose delivers, which he is constantly doing, then he will be safe.

To compare us to Madrid is totally unfair IMO. At Madrid at the time Del Bosque was sacked, the players and the president were running the football club and deciding who played and who was signed. That is most definitely not the case here, whatever assumptions people make.

I predict confidently that Jose, JT and Lamps will ALL be here for the first league game of next season. If I'm wrong I'll happily admit it, but I'm sorry, nothing has convinced me yet Jose is definitely on his way. All the quotes merely confirm the complete oppostite.If I get direct quotes from named sources or pictures suggesting the opposite then of course I may reconsider. Say like with Ranieri, PK and BB refuse to be drawn on speculation and refuse to say 'we want Jose here next season' when asked.

But none are yet forthcoming.

The very fact that I completely discount any official statement from the club tells its own story. Or am I alone in this?

I don't even read club statements. I ignore Mr Buck's or Mr Tenebaum's little soundbites for the media.

If I'm in a minority of one, that's fine. Sadly, I've worked in advertising and media for a long time and I know spin when I hear it.

Codger   
Or am I alone in this?

Far from it. I do read the club statements, though. Occasionally, it's interesting to see what spin has been applied.

I've said it before, if Roman wants rid of Jose, he'll get rid, and all the "statements" official or otherwise won't make a jot of difference.

Exactly. What does a contract mean, in this day and age, and with a man like Roman backing the finance? Two years to pay off Mourinho's salary is barely half of what he paid for Adrian Mutu.

hanuma   
How many times? The club have said countless times they want Jose to be here next season and are planning for him to be here next season.
That's not strictly true. There hasn't been anything quite so specific from the club or from Jose. If it is, please find me some quotes, because I have searched and found nothing.
Kenyon and Buck are both on record as saying they want and expect Jose to be here next season and for the long term, and have said RA does too.
I heard Kenyon say 'nothing has changed regarding Jose', but not much else. Then again, I've not been watching Chelsea TV much in the last 6 months.
To compare us to Madrid is totally unfair IMO. At Madrid at the time Del Bosque was sacked, the players and the president were running the football club and deciding who played and who was signed. That is most definitely not the case here, whatever assumptions people make.
There isn't much to suggest Del Bosque had anything other than total control over who was being picked...there is plenty after his departure, which is half the point really.

frad   
The very fact that I completely discount any official statement from the club tells its own story. Or am I alone in this?

No, you're not.

We need a coach who is capable of getting us 90+ points a season and the ones mentioned until now aren't even in the same league as Mourinho. Hiddink got lucky, Riijkard lost the plot after his assistant left, Hughes and Grant aren't even worth the bytes needed to store their names on this server.

Mourinho's replacements biggest worry in his early days will be the backing of the dressing-room; Lampard, Terry and Drogba are stronly attached to Mourinho and virtually the leaders of the dressing room. Articles pointed out that Mourinho may have underestimated the power of the board I.e. Roman, but the board underestimates the bond between our three most contributing players and Mourinho.

richard   

Good article Rob.

>"What I’m driving is that José looks like a man whose future is clear to him. The newspapers make much of the importance of tonight’s Champions’ League tie, but in truth the decision was probably made months ago. Champions’ League or not, third successive League title or not, the brilliant Portuguese will not be gracing SW6 next year".

That's depressing. I truly hope you're wrong about this. We all knew JM wouldn't have stayed as long as Fergie has at United, but we'd hoped he would be able to go to the end of his contract.

Somebody should advise Roman not to let his personal relationships and feelings get in the way of football and the brilliant coach we have in JM. I will never understand that kind of mentality if it happens, not even with all the money he's poured into the club. (unless he's purely jealous of JM).

Why do I have a horrible feeling that the Israel link with RA is going to rear its head. A certain Mr Grant emerging from the shadows? Well, I guess it's all speculation until the fat lady sings. I sincerely hope she doesn't.