• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CFCnet Main Site

All's Well That Ends Well

The FA Cup victory last Saturday ensured that what was a turbulent season ended on a high note and a familiar ending under Jose's reign, silverware at The Bridge.

I do not use the word reign lightly here. Jose's tenure at The Bridge has been nothing short of regal. (Richard)

http://www.CFCnet.co.uk/content/results_detail.asp?ID=6532

Well, Jose's record is truly remarkable. The fact we won the Cup after the disappointments of the Prem and Champs League, and after such an arduous season, illustrates his ability to lift his players and instil belief in them, even in the toughest of circumstances.

I'm hoping any defender we sign can play right-back as well as centre-back, ala Gallas, Micah Richards for example. Sure, Ferreira's done well of late, but all in all he's been a disappointment for me. I have no faith in Geremi, and while I rated Johnson when he first came, the little I saw of him at Pompey he didn't impress. A top-notch right-back would improve our team.

If Sidwell is the new midfielder, I'm hoping the striker we sign is top-drawer, ala Tevez or Berbatov, someone who compliments Drogba, unlike Shevchenko who will never work well in tandem with Drog in my opinion. Personally, I'd love to see Sheva go, I mean really love it, but that's unlikely to happen. I think he causes more problems than he solves, for numerous reasons, and sadly it was all-too-predictable.

Surprised to see you include Robben amongst our three most important players. Despite his undoubted ability, for two years now he has hardly amassed any assists or goals. There is hardly any end-product with Robben, and the way he complained to Drogba about not being allowed to take the free-kick with which Drogba subsequently hit the post in the Cup Final was all-too-typical. I'm willing to reserve judgement for one more year, but I'm losing faith big-time. Cech, Essien, Carvalho, Mikel, Drogba and Joe are all far more important than Robben, as are Terry and Lamps. Bout time he delivered on a consistent basis, and that means contributing to goals scored week-in week-out, the way Lamps and Drogba do, and Kalou does when called upon.

Robben, you're an attacker mate, stop flapping your arms and start contributing to goals. There's an idea. Some players earn their corn, others don't, and you're one of the ones that don't. Your contribution is negligent, and whatever wages you're on, you're no way near worth it. Time to take a look at yourself...

Agreed. Robben isn't even in the top six for me. How he can be put above Cech is nonsense. Cole is a far more integral part of the squad and success of the team than Robben has been for two years. You just can't rely on Robben to stay fit so the team will never rely on him for success.

Have to agree, for me, Robben is probably the most dissapointing player we have ( and I include that bloke pretending to be Shevva in that)

He has the speed and agility of a greyhound , unfortunately he also possesses the football acumen of a greyhound too, almost without fail he will chose the wrong option , shooting when he should pass, passing when he should shoot and he is so injury prone he'd give Lil' Mickey Owen a run for his money, providing he was indeed fit enough to run in the first place, mind you, he does take a blinding penalty.

Sorry , that should be he takes a penalty like he's blind.

Sell him to Spurs or Worst Ham , anybody really, and lets get someone who plays 4 games in a row without an eight week break in between and actually score or makes goals.

hanuma   

Great article

"Eidur’s departure was more perplexing. The club didn’t want to offload him but choosing to go to be a reserve at Barcelona looks strange to me. I am sure that he would have got much more playing time at Chelsea."

It was a mistake considering his ability to play behind the strikers and as one of the two up top. But if we had bought better after deciding on his departure it would have been the right decision. Certainly if Kalou and Sheva had been consistent at all we wouldn't have missed Eidur.

"Look at the results of the last few games of the season when he wasn’t in the team. They don’t make pleasant reading do they? Two wins in eight, in case you need reminding."

Jose knows best...every single time. He knew all along exactly what Ballack was doing for the team even if hardly anyone else (myself included at times) could see it. Opposition managers and players show the guy a lot of respect on the field too. He's a big name and a big guy that they don't want to mess with or let off the leash.

"He started coming good in the second half of the season until injury struck again. Rest assured he will be much nearer the top of the scorers table this time next year."

I'd suggest 10 premiership goals would be his maximum, which wouldn't be bad, as long as we have a situation where we don't just keep playing him in bad form because there is nobody else good enough to compete for the spot. I think that did as much damage to Sheva as anything last season...rotation should help him.

I can't agree that there are only 3 players of such importance to Chelsea: Cech, Terry, Essien, Lampard and Drogba (maybe Mikel because of his long term importance) are the players most vital to the success of this club imo.

Surprised to see you include Robben amongst our three most important players. Despite his undoubted ability, for two years now he has hardly amassed any assists or goals. There is hardly any end-product with Robben, and the way he complained to Drogba about not being allowed to take the free-kick with which Drogba subsequently hit the post in the Cup Final was all-too-typical. I'm willing to reserve judgement for one more year, but I'm losing faith big-time. Cech, Essien, Carvalho, Mikel, Drogba and Joe are all far more important than Robben, as are Terry and Lamps. Bout time he delivered on a consistent basis, and that means contributing to goals scored week-in week-out, the way Lamps and Drogba do, and Kalou does when called upon.

Don't want to take another thread to Robben debate, so if you'd like to respond, please PM me. All I'll say is you're right that he's nowhere near our top 3 for most important (atm), you are extremely harsh on his productivity when there are others that have played more and produced less. I don't think you're reserving judgement, I'm fairly sure that your opinion of his desire to take that freekick is based entirely on the notion that he's not a team player, you don't actually seem to have any faith in him whatsoever. Joe is not more important or productive than Robben and after this season he hasn't even been around for more games. I'd like to know why Robben has to score goals week in and week out. Be involved in them I can understand, but score them? Not unless he's playing as a striker. I know he was capable of it once, but that was an extraordinary effort beyond the norm of any of the best wingers in the world, thus creating such unrealistic expectations in my opinion.

Jakalele   
Agreed. Robben isn't even in the top six for me. How he can be put above Cech is nonsense. Cole is a far more integral part of the squad and success of the team than Robben has been for two years. You just can't rely on Robben to stay fit so the team will never rely on him for success.

I Rate Robben so highly, I think if he could stay injury free then he can be as good as Ronaldo. Every time for me when he comes on he's positive and usually changes the game. Agree about the diving though shameful. They're usually not even credible dives.

I'm fairly sure that your opinion of his desire to take that freekick is based entirely on the notion that he's not a team player.

My point is, when Drogba informs him he's taking the kick, Robben should take it on the chin, rather than acting like a petulant child. A consumate team player would never do that, someone like JT, or Lamps, or Joe, or Essien, or Carvalho, or Maka etc. Robben's 23 now, he needs to grow up, it's not condusive to team-spirit.

Joe is not more important or productive than Robben and after this season he hasn't even been around for more games.

I'd have Joe over Robben every day of the week.

I'd like to know why Robben has to score goals week in and week out.

He doesn't, although the occasional one wouldn't go amiss. However, he should be contributing more to goals scored, either by hitting the back of the net or via assists. That's his primary job, and he fails at it, time after time.

Hanuma, I've made my point about Robben, thus should you respond I'll read your comments but leave it there, as I don't want to do a hatchet job on him by hammering it home. Apologies to Mods for diverting the thread.

hanuma   
My point is, when Drogba informs him he's taking the kick, Robben should take it on the chin, rather than acting like a petulant child. A consumate team player would never do that, someone like JT, or Lamps, or Joe, or Essien, or Carvalho, or Maka etc. Robben's 23 now, he needs to grow up, it's not condusive to team-spirit.
Mountain out of a mole hill. Drogba hit the post. Since when has that been a good thing? Exciting maybe, but a goal it is not. I would have been happier with Robben taking the freekick and I'm glad there is at least mild debate as to decisions being made on the pitch, I'm sure players would be incredibly frustrated with an imposed line of unshakable command. I'm not entirely sure how a shrug of the shoulders and a bit of a moan can really be indicative of anything more than frustration unless you're looking at it from the preconceived idea that he is a **** that you don't have much time for.
I'd have Joe over Robben every day of the week.
I'd ask why on the grounds that Robben's played less, produced more and has superior pace. But I expect your answer would involve "team ethic", "work rate" and some other vague intangibles that Robben supposedly lacks and Joe, the English lad with a Lions heart, presumably has in abundance (making up for his own failure of primary function). As far as I'm concerned that's a generally baseless argument with regards to Robben and unfortunately there isn't a thing you could say to make me change my mind there. The difference between them certainly isn't worth a dispute over.