• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sleeping Dave

State Of Squad And Final Transfer Dealings

I was thinking I shall have a topic discussing the state of the squad and possible final transfer dealings in one thread as we are approaching the start of the season. If this is deemed an off-topic by the mods I do apologise.

First of all. Do we dear hope that Real chooses to go for this deadwood player?

"Ballack interests Real's Schuster"

Here's for hoping...

Goalkeepers:

Cech, Cudicini, Hilario

No need to dwell on this. We're probably one of the strongest teams in the world (if not strongest) in this position.

Defenders:

Terry, Ricky, Ben Haim; Cole, Bridge; Ferreira, Johnson,

Not strong enough. I can see the need for one right back and definately one more CB (Alex?). Something tells me that the reason to why Mancienne's proposed loan deal to QPR hasn't been concluded and he only trains and plays friendlies with them has to do with the transfer of Alex. If we do not get our man Mancienne will probably be cover at CB (together with Hutchy - RB and CB?). Doesn't seem like we'll buy a new high profile RB, something I have waited for since the days of Melchiot (just thinking about him sends shivers down my spine - he was truly awful towards the end). Ben Haim has looked promising I think. Definately a step up from Boula (but then again, anything would be).

Still weaker then 2004/05 and 2005/06. At least for now.

Midfield:

Essien, Mikel, Lampard, Makelele, Ballack, Diarra, Sidwell, SWP

Stronger then ever on paper. IF Ballack and Sidwell can perform it will also be true in reality. Sidwell has been a disaster so far in pre-season but let's hope he just needs time to find his feet. Something tells me he'll chew a lot of wood this season together with Diarra. Lampard will need to perform better than last season (not talking about goals but general play) and I have extremely high hopes for Mikel and Essien. In a 4-4-2 with wingers my first option is Mikel and Essien. In a 4-3-3 it's Mikel, Essien and Lampard. Could be problematic during ACN but perhaps others will step up? Let's not forget SWP as well who has seemed a reveation playing "inside".

On paper the strongest midfield we've ever had even though I was very happy with 2005/06 with Lampard, Makelele, Essien, Diarra and Maniche (with Guddy as an outsider choice as well). We feel a bit overcrowded especialy since SWP seems better as "inside" then "outside". How much can Diarra and Sidwell contribute this season? Or are they meant to play a bigger part next season when Maka retires/leaves and Ballack might be let go after yet another poor season?

Wingers:

Malouda, Robben, Cole, SWP, Sinclair, Kalou

We've got 6 players capable of playing the wing roles. We can afford losing Robben from what Sinclair has shown over the last 7 months. He looks a real prospect and there must be a reason to why he has got #17 jersey. He'll be involved with the first team for sure. So far he's participated an all (or 3/4) of our friendlies and if he gets loaned out it will be for a short time-period (3 months) to prem or top championship team. During ACN he'll get some chances I reckon. Kalou can participate as both winger and striker and Malouda will be a key player. Robben, if he stays at the club and stays injury free, will have a huge part to play. That still remains to be seen.

This area is very strong compared to other teams. Very very strong. 4-4-2 diamond is long gone unless we've a terrible injury crisis.

Best winger set-up ever at the club. Period. Peraps overcrowded unless SWP is utilised as an "inside" player and Ballack leaves?

Strikers:

Drogba, Pizarro, Sheva, Kalou, Sahar

Pizarro feels like a very interesting acquisition. Can play as central striker in a 4-3-3 and a s a second striker in 4-4-2. Will provide a far better partner to Drogba then Sheva. We seem strong in the striker position with many differet types of strikers. They are all very different. Only Drogba will be a key player however.

During ACN Sahar will probably have a back-up role to play.

We've been stronger in this area on paper. Notably with Hasselbaink, Crespo, Mutu and Guddy. This however might work better in practice.

Conclusion:

If anyone ever doubted, this is a fantastic squad. It will be a exceptional squad with one more quality CB and out of this world if we've had a better option at RB. Still, during normal circumstaces (read: No ACN) it is 2 players too big. Loose one winger and one midfielder and it'll be perfect. But since we do have an ACN year, we'll need the cover.

If Alex does not come in time, I suspect your speculation about TSO's retention of Mancienne and Hutchinson may very well be correct. If they do stay as cover though I doubt we'll see them outside the cup competitions and the lesser league games (especially the latter player).

Yeah, I also agree on the point about Mancienne. Just hope we wrap up Alex's signature soon, it has been dragging on for too long.

As for the rest, very good assessment about the squad overall. SWP has indeed been quite inspirational as of late, and this will hopefully will be his season. And I think Malouda will be important as well. And yes, RB is our only position with a very obvious lack of quality. Dani Alves please...

mercury   

Our defence is still an issue and the main weakness and I am left wondering if it really is good and consistent enough (Riccy and JT excepted of course) and I still feel we rely too much on Drogba as our primary goal outlet. I think the only possible place we might get movement in terms of a final late transfer is with Alves or someone similar.

I doubt Robben will go and the Ballack rumour is even sillier.

I have read that Pizzaro had a very good strike rate at Bayern - I believe one source mentioned that at one point he was scoring every other game!

If Sheva and Kalou continue to frustrate, I wonder if Pizzaro will surprise us all with a minimum of 10 league goals this season. Combined with a potential 20 from Drogs and at least 10 from Lampsy, plus bit part contributions from others, we could get more than 75 league goals by the end of next season, which would help keep our goal difference as wide as possible.

T.H.O.R.   

Our midfield will be top class if Lampard get's back to "old times" form, and Ballack starts to perform. Same for Sheva, which I think won't happen yet in Autumn ( but let's hope ). We could use a good RB as we all noticed, it would be too much to expect Ferreira to improve that much, and another CB, which I really hope will be Alex. Our squad looks great, but also a bit too big, and I hope it won't cause any problems inside the team, but I can't find a solution myself as we'll more than less need it, can you ?

Lampard will need to perform better than last season (not talking about goals but general play)

I agree entirely, you cannot just discount the amount of goals he scores for us, it's phenomenal, but it comes at a price ,where he'd rather shoot than pass to somebody else , just like Robben, with the outcome being that Drogba practically has to make each goal he scores himself and Shevchenko, like Crespo before him, remains a folorn figure almost a spectator as Franks obsessive desire to prove himself in goals scored continues.

I'd much rather Frank got 10 goals a season and contributed the odd through ball to Shevva so that Shevva can get back his mojo and push on.

Heresy I know, but I honestly dont think Frank's been anywhere near his best for two seasons now.

As for Ballack , please god Madrid want him.

Mehrino   

Defensivly I have major no worries and hoopefully the imminent arrival of Alves will sure up the RM and RB spot.

I still think that our reliance on Drogs could be the major stumbling point in our attempt to regain the title next season. Pizarro was a good addition, but with Kalou looking more like a wide man, all my hopes are pinned on Sheva!

Although pre-season isn't the best time to judge a player, he hasn't really shown indicators of progress. Plus, all the Milan spec would have done nothing to help him settle, and despite his willingness to succeed, I'm beginning to 'lose the faith'.

Sahar will return in Jan, but he's far too inexperienced to be expected to get goals. And if any major injuries hit our front line, plus the arrival of the ANC I can see us really struggling for goals.

I agree that we will be relying too much on Drogba this upcoming season. We all know how incredible he is but could he really play as well as he did last season? That for me was truly one of the best performances I've ever seen from a striker and I'll never forget that goal on the turn against the scousers, but could a feat like 33 goals possibly be repeated?

Forgive me for being a bit pessimistic but I can't really see Sheva suddenly coming good when he looked so awful last season, and I'm not sure how much Pizarro can contribute goals wise. Sahar isn't ready yet and won't be available for the first half and we know we can't yet count on Kalou to be banging them in.

Thus, I'd love to see us buy a good young striker. No idea who the answer is personally, but I think to win the title back we need a good young striker, a CB (Alex), Alves at RM/RB would be fantastic, and also get rid of the deadwood, namely Sheva and Ballack and one of the RB's if Alves comes. I'd also love to see us sign Jo, I thought he looked very impressive at the U/20's WC.

Kezza   

as I've said, we have a good enough squad already. it now all depends on whether we can employ the right style with more sense of urgency. We can buy all the best players in the world but a negative style will still not bring the best out of them. Ballack and Sheva prime example. People are blaming them, but none are questioning the system they are being employed in and the role they are being asked to play. Sheva becomes a target man. Ballack becomes a defensive midfielder. That's just unlike them! I'm more concerned about fixing that style of play than our crop of players, who I think are perfect.