• Current Donation Goals

Codger

Injury News

Well. Last season if Oscar and Hazard was injured and Mata not fit we'd be ****ed.

Now we still have Willian, Shurrle, De Bruyne. Last season that would have been Moses, Ramires, Benayoun.

You can't have a squad of 26 outfield players just so your squad will look full strength with injuries. You're taking this too far.

Edit: completely off topic but I've just posted with my new iPhone 5 for the first time. What a difference. Super quick. Seriously, it's so fast it feels like I'm on speed!!!

Edited by Sleeping Dave

^ So last year we got lucky with injuries - if not form.

What is interesting is that it is the International teams that announce Chelsea injuries, we never almost never announce them.

^ So last year we got lucky with injuries - if not form.

What is interesting is that it is the International teams that announce Chelsea injuries, we never almost never announce them.

What are you on about? When have we had a squad of 26 outfield players? Mourinho has never had a squad of 26 outfield players. His methodology at Inter was 18+4 outfield players and 3 GKs. It started when he was here, but it was cemented after he left for Inter. 22+3 where 2-4 of the outfielders are youngsters.

If you think we need more you are fundamentally disagreeing with Mourinho's fundamentals.

What are you on about? When have we had a squad of 26 outfield players? Mourinho has never had a squad of 26 outfield players. His methodology at Inter was 18+4 outfield players and 3 GKs. It started when he was here, but it was cemented after he left for Inter. 22+3 where 2-4 of the outfielders are youngsters.

If you think we need more you are fundamentally disagreeing with Mourinho's fundamentals.

Yes I am. I'm a great believer on nearly everything JM does, not just out of trust, but because it all seems so sensible.

But the squad size thing I disagree with. This not Portugal, Spain or Italy, this is England, and we could well play 65-70 games in the season of which 50 will be big games. RM or Barca would not play more than 25 big games in a season out of 55-60.

I know JM is thinking in terms of how many player-manager relationships can he manage, but I still think we'd do better with a fuller squad. Moses and Lukaku could have been part of the PL squad easily, as could 2 extra English trained players.

The unknown of course is how JM is thinking of the younger players. Josh, Chalobah, Kalas, Ake, Omeruo. None of them play in positions you'd normally want to bring a youngster in at, and I'm not sure if some will go out on loan anyway. I suspect that if JM really wanted to have young players close to the squad, then they'd have been Thorgen Hazard and Piazon - players that would naturally come on as subs, not Ake and Kalas.

hanuma   
I still think we'd do better with a fuller squad.

50 usable players if you had your way. Can't believe you can still find a way to moan about this after years of genuinely undersized squads. By all means everything can be improved, constantly, that's the name of the game, but there is no distinct competitive disadvantage this season.

2 for every position and 3 for striker and goalkeeper is exactly right for a 4231/433 side.

You also bemoan the academy system when Utd's larger squad is entirely down to it's 8 academy products (maybe 7 if we discount Fletcher due to his illness) that allow much greater flexibility with the new rules.

Since Roman bought the club we've played 54 games/season on average.

I'd say that 22 outfield players is enough for that. That corresponds to 25 starts/outfield player. The trick of course is to have 22 viable options. I reckon we have that now although I can see arguments against perhaps Kalas.

50 usable players if you had your way. Can't believe you can still find a way to moan about this after years of genuinely undersized squads. By all means everything can be improved, constantly, that's the name of the game, but there is no distinct competitive disadvantage this season.

There is a huge disadvantage to Man U and City - they have much deeper squads. And there is a huge disadvantage to the likes of WBA or Norwich - who have a similar squad size but only two thirds the games (and a fraction of the international commitment pre-world cup).

2 for every position and 3 for striker and goalkeeper is exactly right for a 4231/433 side.

1.5 per defender, 2.5 for the others would be better.

You also bemoan the academy system when Utd's larger squad is entirely down to it's 8 academy products (maybe 7 if we discount Fletcher due to his illness) that allow much greater flexibility with the new rules.

Since I don't care about the CL squad (only 6 games before it is reviewed etc) then the Academy home trained rule has no impact on Man U's PL squad.

The point is that 20 year olds who are good enough to be in the squad on merit (Oscar, Hazard, Romeu just, last year) have real value, irrespective of where they come from.

20 years olds who just happen to be in the Academy at the moment have no value.

To date the Academy has produced just one player who at any age has contributed anything significant to the first team (and it is hard to see just how much merit the Academy can claim for Bertrand).

Since Roman bought the club we've played 54 games/season on average.

I'd say that 22 outfield players is enough for that. That corresponds to 25 starts/outfield player. The trick of course is to have 22 viable options. I reckon we have that now although I can see arguments against perhaps Kalas.

35 starts for the internationals, which is most of them. And that is an average. Ramires, Hazard & Oscar are looking at over 60 without us reaching any sup semi final.

I can only see 21 outfield players, I can't see the point of adding an extra CB even if I thought Kalas was a credible squad member.

But at this point last season I still thought that Sturridge, Malouda and Ferreira were proper squad members. Turned out they weren't.

Fortunately it also turned out that only a few players had any significant injury, and just one player, the marginal Romeu, was out for any long time.

21 players looks pretty thin to me given we are only just starting.

There is a huge disadvantage to Man U and City - they have much deeper squads...

35 starts for the internationals, which is most of them. And that is an average. Ramires, Hazard & Oscar are looking at over 60 without us reaching any sup semi final.

I can only see 21 outfield players, I can't see the point of adding an extra CB even if I thought Kalas was a credible squad member.

But at this point last season I still thought that Sturridge, Malouda and Ferreira were proper squad members. Turned out they weren't.

Fortunately it also turned out that only a few players had any significant injury, and just one player, the marginal Romeu, was out for any long time.

21 players looks pretty thin to me given we are only just starting.

Not many NT's that are likely to play 10 games in 2013-14 unless you count the actual WC.

However, I do fail to see how Man U and Man C have much bigger/deeper squads than us:

Man U (26):

Goalkeepers (3): De Gea, Lindegaard, Amos

Defenders (9): Rafael, Evra, Jones, Ferdinand, Evans, Smalling, Vidic, Fabio, Büttner

Midfielders (5): Anderson, Giggs, Carrick, Cleverley, Fellaini

Attacking Midfielders (5): Nani, Young, Valencia, Kagawa, Zaha

Strikers (4): Van Persie, Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez

Man C (23):

Goalkeepers (3): Hart, Pantilimon, Wright

Defenders (8): Nastasic, Kolarov, Kompany, Clichy, Lescott, Richards, Zabaleta, Demichelis

Midfielders (5): Fernandinho, Milner, Rodwell, Garcia, Toure

Attacking Midfielders (4): Navas, Nasri, Silva, Jovetic

Strikers (3): Aguero, Negredo, Dzeko

Chelsea (26):

Goalkeepers (3): Cech, Schwarzer, Hilario

Defenders (9): Terry, Luiz, Cahill, Ivanovic, Azpilicueta, Cole, Bertrand, Kalas, Omeruo

Midfielders (5): Lampard, Mikel, Ramires, Essien, Van Ginkel

Attacking Midfielders (6): Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Shurrle, De Bruyne

Strikers (3): Eto'o, Torres, Ba

So... Unless your gripe is that the quality of the Man C and Man U squads are much better than ours I really can't see what you're complaining about. Unless you want to count all the youngsters at Man U and Man C but not out own. You might want to remove Kalas and Omeruo. Fine, but then we should also remove Büttner and Fabio for Man U.

The squads are similar in terms of numbers. So can't see your gripe at all.

Internationals - England will have 5 before mid October. Then a lot of friendlies assuming we qualify. + the WC. I suspect that is typical (except for Brazil who no doubt will have a lot more).

Buttner started 12 games for Man U last season - he is a squad member, Fabio has started 37 games for Man U to date. They are real squad members in the way that Kalas or Omeruo aren't.

But hte issue isn't really the comparison with man U or City, it is:

- Will we have the players for a week end game against Norwich in between 2 CL legs?

- and have we tried to get as many players as we could.

And the answer to both is no. Man U have the maximum number of players they could - they only have 1 U21 now who is any good (Zaha) so they have 26 players and no spare spaces. Man U have no choice.

City are cutting down on players, have one decent U21 (Nastasic). They have loaned out just one decent player (Barry, now 32 and probably soon out of contract I guess) and filled up the squad just 1 man short by including Boyata & Nimely (not named by you, but unlike Fabio or Buttner, I'll accept these as being make-weights).

City could have bought new players - they have screwed up on this season. But I suspect this is a " Txiki Begiristain" turnaround year, and they know it. Just look at the player leaving list.

Chelsea have 4 or 5 decent U21s, but will only use two, Van Ginkel & Blackman, with Lukaku, Chalobah & Josh* wasted.

3 O21 places are vacant - yet Moses is on loan.

We have got so much right this summer, and yet places are going begging.

* IMO 6th or 7th choice CMs or AMs and 4th choice CFs make a difference, 5th choice CBs are irrelevant.