• Current Donation Goals

Codger

Injury News

Don't see any real difference of opinion here- is anyone disputing that we'd likely do better with a larger squad? Of course we'd likely do better with a larger squad.

It's still the best stocked squad we've had in a good few years, and particularly where (imo) we've struggled most in the last two seasons, even if it does have its flaws.

It doesn't come down to just numbers, but how they're used. Personally I'd wager that every single outfield player bar Kalas will make a significant and meaningful contribution this season and that there are no equivalents to the likes of Sturridge or Malouda in our ranks.

I'm certainly happier about a £30m Brazilian or current German international being prepared to step in when Oscar or Hazard can't.

* IMO 6th or 7th choice CMs or AMs and 4th choice CFs make a difference, 5th choice CBs are irrelevant.

You are complicating stuff.

Count the players. We're not thinner than either Man U or Man C. Take away the defenders/goalkeepers which you hate. The. We have bigger squads than both!!!

5 AMs, 6AMs and 3 strikers. That's 14.

Man C and Man U have the same or less. I've agreed our squad has been too thin previous seasons but its ridiculous to complain about that this season. This is one of the biggest squads we've ever had under Roman and Mourinho has won big titles with smaller squads than this.

Genuine gripe is fine. But you've taken it too far creating a problem that doesn't exist.

hanuma   

* IMO 6th or 7th choice CMs or AMs and 4th choice CFs make a difference, 5th choice CBs are irrelevant.

Excuse me if I appear to gloss over the complexity of your argument, because I'm getting very confused by it and it would seem the above point is the deal breaker for you. So in essence Man City and Utd are ****ed because they only have 4/5 AMs and 5 CMs. But Chelsea are more ****ed because we only have 3 CFs and 5 CMs?

I don't understand that. I instinctively think it's bullshit, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The way I see it is that we couldn't possibly entertain having more than 5 CMs, 6 AMs and 3 CFs for the system we want to play and that within that group there is an enormous degree of positional crossovers and tactical flexibility to allow for rotation and the absence of any particular individual.

I also really wouldn't want the club to damage the development of any under 23 Y.O. player by keeping them around for a possibly League Cup appearance or the possibility of 2 to 3 starts in March/April.

Tbf, the Moses and Lukaku loans are legitimate areas of complaint so far as squad size goes- a homegrown and U21 slot now goes unfilled for no reason, at least none related to the squad rules. We could very easily be two players better off.

That's not to say we need to be two players better off in order to stand a chance of winning things, only that our chances would be improved (even if only marginally) if we were.

Tbf, the Moses and Lukaku loans are legitimate areas of complaint so far as squad size goes- a homegrown and U21 slot now goes unfilled for no reason, at least none related to the squad rules. We could very easily be two players better off.

That's not to say we need to be two players better off in order to stand a chance of winning things, only that our chances would be improved (even if only marginally) if we were.

To my mind we need to be 4 or 5 players better off to compete on an equal basis with Barca, Bayern or RM.

Likewise we need to extra players if, again, we are the only team playing the later rounds in Europe.

And I can't help thinking that our players are in for a much more intensive time than they have been - the front players anyway, the defenders are still getting their breaths back post CA.

Moses and Lukaku are genuine question marks to why they were let go on loan. I always claimed we needed 7 AMs before we bought Willian. But because we bought Willian I reckon 6 is enough. It's a thin balancing act between enough bodies and quality. With Moses left as the 7th AM he wouldn't get enough playing time here with us. It's done for a youngster 18-21 but not for a player like Moses. He needs to play.

Lukaku was let go because 4 strikers are too much when we only play with one. Id rather ship Ba or Torres but Lukaku was obviously much easier to move. Had we played with two we would have needed 5 I reckon.

As for us needing 4-5 players to be able to compete with Barca, Real and BM? Come on. Their leagues aren't that much worse and they don't play that many games less than us. Wildly exaggerated.

I'm not sure who you are watching, but Chelsea, like most clubs, play with 2 CFs and 4 (sometimes 5) AMs in most games - particularly the important ones - ie the ones we don't go 2 up in by half time. To go through a season with just 6 AMs is a big worry for me.

On Moses, I'm surprised Dave that you have joined those that think Chelsea is a club that should put the long term planning of its young players ahead of the success of the first team.

I can see this thread being massive by January.

hanuma   

I'm not sure who you are watching, but Chelsea, like most clubs, play with 2 CFs and 4 (sometimes 5) AMs in most games - particularly the important ones - ie the ones we don't go 2 up in by half time. To go through a season with just 6 AMs is a big worry for me.

On Moses, I'm surprised Dave that you have joined those that think Chelsea is a club that should put the long term planning of its young players ahead of the success of the first team.

I can see this thread being massive by January.

I think that totally overlooks the fact that all of those players are perfectly capable of playing 50-60 games a season. Assuming that at some point we get 2 AMs injured we easily swap to the 433.

There simply isn't enough games for Moses. We could have kept Piazon. I would have been open for that.

I did advocate for 7 AMs but with Willian we have four high calibre AMs. Not many teams can compete with that. On top of those 4 we have Shurrle and De Bruyne.

Who knows what will happen to Traore? Perhaps he can be that 7th 10 appearance player.

Holymoly   

vanGinkel out for the season with a cruciate according to the Fail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2432426/Marco-Van-Ginkel-miss-entire-season-Chelsea-cruciate-ligament-injury.html#ixzz2fwjsuro8

Edited by Holymoly