• Current Donation Goals

Codger

Injury News

On 12/10/2019 at 3:28 PM, King Kante said:

They should just reschedule the international calender. Club football should run from September to April and international football May to June. That way we wouldn't get all this stop start nonsense to the season. 

Agreed. Weren't there discussions of such a solution going forward? I’d like to remember that suggestion being mentioned before. 

It would be ideal. Keep the internationals after the season proper! 

chara   

A lot of negative stuff about Michael Owen recently but didn't his career basically get finished after a really bad injury playing for England?.Remember as much as anything because he came to Colorado to see the then top knee surgeon at that time.

I remember the times when certain games were postponed because of International callups and the present set up is better but WC etc gets played after the seasons end and this constant disruption of domestic seasons and players suddenly going into different training routines with the danger of injury pregame is close to CASH induced madness.

16 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Agreed. Weren't there discussions of such a solution going forward? I’d like to remember that suggestion being mentioned before. 

It would be ideal. Keep the internationals after the season proper! 

If you condense both the club season and the international season then it means that an injury would rule a player out for a larger proportion of the season. For example Rudiger would have missed another 3 games for Chelsea during this international break, or in the case of internationals a month long injury over the international schedule would rule you out of an entire years worth of games. Harder for players to play their way into the national team and gives the bosses less time to look at players and experiment.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a massive fan of international football they need to reduce the number of games. The September games are the worst and need to he scrapped, and really what is the point in Gibraltar, San Marino, faroe islands etc competing in serious competition.

Also while it is frustrating to lose momentum with the internationals when you are in a good run, the opposite is also true. Many players have said that when things are really bad then going off with the national team clears your head and there's a couple of weeks without the pressure, I think it was Rashford who said something similar last week.

18 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

If you condense both the club season and the international season then it means that an injury would rule a player out for a larger proportion of the season.

Yes.  Very good point.

19 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

really what is the point in Gibraltar, San Marino, faroe islands etc competing in serious competition.

Because Gibraltar and San Marino have a vote each at FIFA and UEFA, same as France and Germany.  That is the start of the corruption (and how Jack Warner of Trinidad & Tobago got to be a FIFA superpower by collecting together a block of bribed minnows).

chara   
33 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.  Very good point.

Because Gibraltar and San Marino have a vote each at FIFA and UEFA, same as France and Germany.  That is the start of the corruption (and how Jack Warner of Trinidad & Tobago got to be a FIFA superpower by collecting together a block of bribed minnows).

I don't have a problem with "minnows" in competitions but like FA Cup I think they should play in early ko rounds and minimise silly one sided events..let any qualifiers play for glory but not every small side.

I played with a couple of Gibralter players way back.Good Sunday morning players and lower semi pro but never World class.

Leo91   

They need to expand the Euro nations league so we get rid of international friendlies.

1 hour ago, Leo91 said:

They need to expand the Euro nations league so we get rid of international friendlies.

Already done:

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/0253-0d821c7c9ca8-3e97e8cc9b99-1000--2020-21-uefa-nations-league/

Means England will virtually only play friendlies immediately before a major tournament. 

International football might not be very popular in England, as we have an exciting, high-quality league. In most other countries international football is far more popular.

This could also be linked to England not having had a decent team since the 90s, with the premier league become exponentially more popular since then.

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

International football might not be very popular in England, as we have an exciting, high-quality league. In most other countries international football is far more popular.

Yes was going to say this earlier, whilst some of us here might not enjoy the international break other countries are far more fanatical about their national teams. And indeed some other people in England, and the players relish it. Even if that wasn't the case its unlikely Fifa or UEFA are going to change things up on an admission that people aren't that bothered about international football. I do actually enjoy the tournaments, the world cup more than the others.

4 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Yes was going to say this earlier, whilst some of us here might not enjoy the international break other countries are far more fanatical about their national teams. And indeed some other people in England, and the players relish it. Even if that wasn't the case its unlikely Fifa or UEFA are going to change things up on an admission that people aren't that bothered about international football. I do actually enjoy the tournaments, the world cup more than the others.

I appriciate that some people like international football more than club football and it is still important to many countries.

However, the way it scheduled is very poor. At the moment, international managers get 8-10 days with their players 5 times a year and these dates are slotted in and around club football. For me, it would make much more sense to have international football in a two month window as that would allow international managers more time to actually get to train their squads and it would allow for fans to follow their national teams more as their would be no distraction from club football and more consistency.

As for teams like San Marino and Gibraltar etc, games such as those are just pointless. The Nations League helps with this a bit but qualifying needs looking at. There is no benefit to anyone from a sporting prespective when 60-80% of the games in groups are walk overs.