• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2mas

Live Match Thread: Chelsea Vs Rosenborg

2mas   

Please use this thread for all posts relating to the opening Champions League group stage match against Rosenborg, before and during the game. Keep it intelligent.

Moderators and our legal people will be keeping an eye on things.

Please note that this unmoderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in its deletion.

The game is showing on ITV4 here in the UK.

________________________________________________________________________________

Some thoughts from Norway, some days before I depart for Stansted:

At last Rosenborg are back in the good company - Champions League! It has been a great start with 4 wins of 4 possible and 15-2 in goal difference in the qualifyers. Now we'll continue our viking raid through Europe! And we want revenge for the defeat at Stamford Bridge in 1066!

After a quite bad season so far Rosenborg hopefully have begun their usual good run in the autumn. Sadly Brann and Lillestrøm seem to stay in front of us, and a new league title for us in November is not likely.

Six years ago Rosenborg were ranked as the 35th best on the UEFA club ranking. The club wants to repeat history, but it is far to go, especially when it comes to the players. In the moment Marek Sapara (midfielder), Yssouf Kone (striker), Steffen Iversen (striker/winger - ex Tottenham) and Lars Hirschfeld (goalkeeper - ex Tottenham) are the ones to watch, while the two wingers Didier Konan (wanted by Ajax and Charlton last year) and Abdou Traoré also might cause some trouble.

After spending most of the prize monies from 10 seasons in the Champions League (1995-2002, 2004 and 2005 -

!) on building a new stadium and signing expensive, bad players, Rosenborg now (again) have begun prioritizing developing own, local players. They will be well familiar to our famous 4-3-3 formation (UEFA.com lists uf before Ajax under typical 4-3-3 club teams!) and hopefully very loyal to the club as they are local lads.

Our two reserve/U19 teams, RBK2 and RBK3, are playing in regular senior leagues, Norwegian 2nd and 3rd division, and are packed with players representing Norway on U17, U18 and U19 levels. When Rosenborg knocked AC Milan out of the Champions League in 1996, 9 of 11 players in the starting line-up were from the Trondheim area. This is not likely to happen again in a globalized world of football, but hopefully the basis of future teams will be local players with a big heart for Rosenborg.

On the first team, Per Ciljan Skjelbred and Alexander Tettey, are well established on our midfield, and they are looked upon as the team's future "grand old men".

Nevertheless we need some experience too, and we have been looking for one or two new central defenders this summer. Sadly our two director of sports (one is stepping down) did not managed to sign any. Our quite weak defence has to do their wery best against John Obi Mikel & Co...

PS! Two TV features on Rosenborg:

2mas   

I hope you are interested in some more on Rosenborg:

Our opponents in qualifyers, Astana and Tampere, were very weak, and we meet far better teams in the Norwegian premier division. This shows. Our away record is poor, with just one single point in the last five away matches and three months without an away win. Yesterday we lost 1-2 away to Start in Kristiansand. [video highlights - click "fortsett" after the download test]

Because of our poor performances on tour, this will be a new weak season, kind of 2005 again. That time Champions League was kind of a "sanctuary" where the players didn't feel any pressure. We did get a dream start with a 3-1 win over Olympiakos in Athens, and even though the five following matches just gave one more point, we (both club and supporters) were satisfied with the 3rd spot, going through to the 3rd round of the UEFA Cup. Four points should be our target this time too.

The players seem to have given up the Norwegian league, but that is no excuse for their poor efforts in quite a few of the matches this season. The 1st half against Start was yet an example of this, and for the first match in some time, I am very uncertain on which 11 players who will be in our starting line-up against Chelsea. I hope our coach stands up against some of the veterans with the poorest performances, making some needed changes. But I won't be very surprised if he chooses the same 11 as against Start...

Here are by the way video highlights from our qualifying matches:

* Astana - Rosenborg 1-3: mms://media.xstream.dk/adressa/wmv/2007-08/0_75049800_1186011273.wmv

* Rosenborg - Astana 7-1: mms://media.xstream.dk/adressa/wmv/2007-08/0_11459900_1186607039.wmv

* Tampere - Rosenborg 0-3: mms://media.xstream.dk/adressa/wmv/2007-08/0_97194300_1187270941.wmv

* Rosenborg - Tampere 2-0: mms://media.xstream.dk/adressa/wmv/2007-08/0_62380700_1188472200.wmv

Does anybody know ANYTHING about Riccy C?Is it possible that he plays against Rosenborg?Jose never mentions anything,it would be great to see him back!

Mehrino   
Does anybody know ANYTHING about Riccy C?Is it possible that he plays against Rosenborg?Jose never mentions anything,it would be great to see him back!

I don't think he'll be rushed back for tommmorow, but hopefully both Riccy and Lamps can make it for OT.

Karan   

Even if Ricky isn't fit for OT, I wouldn't panic. Alex seems to have settled relatively well and him alongside JT with Maka in front of them at OT would be alright IMO.

Lamps, DD should not be rushed for tomorrow and they need to be given all the time to recover well for OT. I think they should recover for OT.

Lineup I'd like to see for tomorrow (it could well be the lineup we put out at OT):

Cech

Belletti - Alex - Terry - A.Cole

Mikel

J.Cole - Essien - Malouda

Pizarro - Shevchenko

Subs: Cudicini, Ben-Haim, Ferreira, Makelele, Sidwell, Kalou, SWP

We should be relatively comfortable in possession and we need to create and more importantly score from these chances that we create. A good 3-0 win would be a nice confidence booster for the attack.

Mehrino   

Very pleased we've got the fixtures coming thick and fast now. My team:

---------------Cech-----------------

Belletti------JT----Alex-----A.Cole

---------------Mikel-----------------

--------Essien------Malouda ------

---------------J.Cole---------------

------Shevchenko---Pizarro------

Subs: Cudicini, Ben Haim, Maka, Kalou, SWP.

I think Joe plays best when he drifts behind the front two, and hopefully Piz would have recovered sufficiently from jet-lag. The main area of width should come from the full-backs - I doubt they'll be too occupied - and both Kalou and SWP would be most effective coming on as subs. The back four should remain unchanged as they seemed pretty untroubled on Saturday.

Would be nice to win a game by more than a 1-goal margin, C'mon Chels!

Predic: 3-0 (Pizarro, Malouda,Shevchenko).

2mas   

Chelsea's bid for Euro glory has been snubbed by their own fans.

They have sold just 30,000 tickets for Tuesday's Champions League opener against Rosenborg, despite slashing prices.

Adult seats costing up to £65 for league games are on sale for just £36.

Read more: Chelsea fans snub Rosenborg clash

Cech

Belletti --- Alex --- JT --- A. Cole

Mikel

J. Cole --- Essien --- Malouda/SWP

Pizarro---

---Shevchenko

The key to our formation is Mikel. Mikel must start to dictate the tempo in games: we all know he can do the simple things superbly, but at times the simple things slows down our football. He has the ability to become a deep lying playmaker (Pirlo), and when brought on against Blackburn really looked to move the ball quickly with incisive and probing passes. He is the key figue in this match: if he plays with an attacking mindset with defensive responsiblity the whole side plays higher up the pitch, meaning more territory and thus more pressure.

Cheers, T

Cech

Belletti

JT

Alex

A Cole

Malouda

Essien

Makelele

Mikel

J Cole

Shevchenko

I hope Shevchenko scores so he finds a bit of form in a Chelsea kit

bitnr   

Pizzaro, Lamps and Didier are all still out and Jose doesn't know if they'll be back for the weekend.