db12d1

Branislav Ivanovic - Goodbye, Farewell, Adios (thanks for the memories).

1,671 posts in this topic

Never heard of this guy or watched him play.

Is his favoured position right back or centre? If centre I'm not interested. We need a solid right back not a versatile player.

What I believe we need, as I remember several people (karan?) calling for in the summer, is a player who is good enough to be first-choice at right back but who can also cover all the other positions across the back.

Gallas was good enough to be first choice across the back, Boula was inadequate and Ben Haim is doing better than Boula but nowhere near Gallas's level.

At RB we're doing quite well at present but Belletti is still suspect defensively and Ferreira has only shown 6 weeks of good form in the last 2 and a half years.

So if we can find someone who's young, prefers RB but can play anywhere across the back, I think we should grab them as soon as possible.

The only problem is that he's played in the UEFA Cup and so is cup-tied. Sign him for next summer when Ferreira's contract expires? Bring him in now to give him time to bed in?

Our need is greater than Man U's.

?

Do you want to bring RB for beauty or to just buy?

I dont care if the defender looks like Rooneys ugly brother.

I want a right back aged between 23-27 that will hold down the spot for the next 5 seasons. Id keep Belletti and sell/part exchange Ferreria.

Belletti offers us alot more than Paulo, but Belletti is still suspect at the back in some games, neither are good enough to play every game in a season for us.

I dont buy all this we need a versatile defender. Other than Gallas and Micha Richards I'm sat here and can't think of any other footballer who can play solid right back and also centre, its rare and not really required. Also with JT, Carvalho, Alex, Haim do we really need a versatile defender?? NO!! we need a solid right back. A young Albert Ferrer will be perfect for us.

I dont buy all this we need a versatile defender. Other than Gallas and Micha Richards I'm sat here and can't think of any other footballer who can play solid right back and also centre, its rare and not really required. Also with JT, Carvalho, Alex, Haim do we really need a versatile defender?? NO!! we need a solid right back. A young Albert Ferrer will be perfect for us.

So are you happy with Ben Haim at 4th choice? I would prefer to have a first-choice right back who could switch into the centre in emergencies - someone who would perform better than Belletti at RB and better than Ben Haim at CB. Meaning that Ivanovic would take Ferreira's place in the squad as he's unlikely to get another contract, with a youngster such as Hutchinson or Mancienne taking Ben Haim's place.

This being the only realistic way that I think our defence could be improved upon.

I want a right back aged between 23-27 that will hold down the spot for the next 5 seasons. Id keep Belletti and sell/part exchange Ferreria.

Paulo is 28, big difference.

He and Belletti can play at least 2-3 season, Maka is 34 and still playing on the highest level. As long as they play good, and they playing, we don't need RB.

Belletti offers us alot more than Paulo, but Belletti is still suspect at the back in some games, neither are good enough to play every game in a season for us.

Paulo on form better from every every RB in the world. Excellent defensively, good offensively.

Meaning that Ivanovic would take Ferreira's place in the squad as he's unlikely to get another contract

what evidence we have to Ferreira's contract end in June 2008?

Edited by dannyb1

Paulo on form better from every every RB in the world. Excellent defensively, good offensively.

Wait... you think that Paulo on good form is better than any other RB in the world? I can see what you may mean defensively, but there are tons of better offensive RBs than Paulo. Not to mention that Paulo is inconsistent with his form, so even "good form" for him doesn't happy too often. He'll play great for a handful of games, then suffer injury or take a hit of confidence and have some crap games.

There are many RBs out there that are more consistent than Paulo, equal if not better defensively, and much better offensively.

Wait... you think that Paulo on good form is better than any other RB in the world? I can see what you may mean defensively, but there are tons of better offensive RBs than Paulo. Not to mention that Paulo is inconsistent with his form, so even "good form" for him doesn't happy too often. He'll play great for a handful of games, then suffer injury or take a hit of confidence and have some crap games.

There are many RBs out there that are more consistent than Paulo, equal if not better defensively, and much better offensively.

Paulo is perfect RB, good both defensively and offensive, that's why when he's on form he one of the best and IMO the best

Before his injury he was great, and consistent also was great at end of last season. We need to see how he come back from the injury (he coming back to full training next week) and I trust him.