db12d1

Branislav Ivanovic

1,671 posts in this topic

Agent expects Chelsea to win Ivanovic race

Chelsea are outright favourites for Lokomotiv Moscow defender Branislav Ivanovic, says agent Marco Naletilic. Naletilic told calciomercato.com: "Ivanovic is a great player. He plays well on the right but is a central defender.

"We must stress that he is followed closely by Chelsea - and money talks. If Inter and AC Milan are interested, they can compete with Chelsea financially. But if Chelsea are serious, I think he will end finish in England."

It's about time we had a thread for this guy. Up until know he's been lumped in with the 'Russian lions' thread, but he is a Serb.

I think it'd be a real coup if we could land this guy. He's been linked with big Italian clubs for a long time, but his versatility and relative youth makes him ideal for us. Since Gallas's departure we haven't even come close to bringing in a defender that can apply himself across the back four. Boula was a diaster and Ben Haim at RB doesn't fill me with any confidence.

Ivanovic is a great player. He plays well on the right but is a central defender.

This probably gives some sort of an answer to my query here, where I asked if he was similar to Corluka, as in if he could play RB and CB.

If he's as good as his reputation goes then I don't mind him at the Bridge. I've always felt that after the departure of Gallas, that we've lacked a versatile defender who could provide us an added security in our defensive options.

Has anyone seen him play?

Saw him captaining his country in The European Under-21 Championship last June and he was fantastic. He is fast, strong, versatile, and a true leader like JT.

In JT, Carvalho, and Alex we have three great central defenders, but they're just central defenders, they can't play in other positions like Gallas used to do and we missed him for that.

We need more young hungry players like Ivanovic, Modric, and Huntelaar to replace some of the current squad old players who doesn't have the same hunger like Shevchenko and Ballack.

If he want to be 3rd/4th choice CB and 3th choice RB, wait for his chances and he's good as all saying I will be glad if he come. We need young, talent, hungry players, that will come as subs, in crisis time, or just rotation and give all.

If he good as all saying we can have JT, RC, Invanovic and someone from Reserve like Man Utd. It will be problem as JT became injury prone, but hopefully it will end. Also their is other problem as in my suggestion we don't have experienced generally and experienced in PL CB as back up.

Also I heard he can play in midfield.

Edited by dannyb1

As someone who watched a number of Lokomotive games I think I can add my thoughts on this guy.

1) If we get him it'll be sensational. No way he'll be 3rd or 4th choice, he'll be N1 RB in Premiership and will be the guy who'll make a great difference to our play. Think of Vidic, who came from Russian club before, and his role in MU title, you'll see what I mean.

2) Regarding his position, I can not deny he can play anywhere else but RB, but I've never seen or read he did. Why would you use one of the best RB out there in other position anyway?

3) What he does best: great in attack, deadly crosses and scores a lot as well, mostly headers which we do need as JT does not score goals recently; brilliant defending, I don't think anyone can go beat him one on one; great sense of position, which is amazing for 21yo player; enough experience as he played several seasons as a 1st team player for a very strong side, both in Russian premier league, Euro cups and Internationals.

As I've mentioned on other thread Grant was visiting at least 2 Loko games recently, so we're probably quite serious. If we get him in January I don't need any more Christmas presents.

I like the sound of this guy!

He sound good, I heard that he more CB than RB but if he RB we have Belletti and Paulo and also be good in Russian league it's different from be good in Premier League.

2) Regarding his position, I can not deny he can play anywhere else but RB, but I've never seen or read he did. Why would you use one of the best RB out there in other position anyway?

As I wrote before, he played at CB for Serbia U21 in The European Under-21 Championship and he was superb. Probably the best defender in that tournament.