• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sleeping Dave

Where Have We Gone Wrong?

As I am off from work I am struggling to see what I shoud do with my time. So here we go. Where have our season faltered and why are we behind ManU and L'Arse?

Have a look at this record.

August:

GF GA P

H Birmingham 3 2 3 Mourinho

A Reading 2 1 3 Mourinho

A Liverpool 1 1 1 Mourinho

H Portsmouth 1 0 3 Mourinho

Total: 7 4 10

September:

A Aston Villa 0 2 0 Mourinho

H Blackburn 0 0 1 Mourinho

A Man U 0 2 0 Grant

H Fulham 0 0 1 Grant

Total: 0 4 2

October:

A Bolton 1 0 3 Grant

A Boro 2 0 3 Grant

H Man C 6 0 3 Grant

Total: 9 0 9

November:

A Wigan 2 0 3 Grant

H Everton 1 1 1 Grant

A Derby 2 0 3 Grant

Total: 5 1 7

December:

H West Ham 1 0 3 Grant

H Sunderland 2 0 3 Grant

A Arsenal 0 1 0 Grant

A Blackburn 1 0 3 Grant

H Aston Villa 4 4 1 Grant

H Newcastle 2 1 3 Grant

Total: 10 6 13

GP GS GA P Potential P % GS/Game GA/Game

Mourinho 6 7 6 11 18 61% 1,17 1

Grant 14 24 9 30 42 71% 1,71 0,64

We are 6 points behind Arsenal and 4 points behind ManU. It woud have been oh so different had we won both games away to them. Then we would have had 47 points, 5 points more then ManU and 3 points more then Arsenal. It's that close. Otherwise it was September that ruined it. 2 points from 4 games and 0 goals scored. Af yes, that coincides with shifting JM for AG. So under the circumstances, injuries and suspensions (not to mention it's not his team), I must admit Grant is doing very well. Also interesting to compare the records between JM and Grant this season. Grant wins in evey department hands down despite the injury crises he has on his hands.

Puts things in perspective.

And no, the title is not gone, even though it easily could have looked so much better.

Was thinking the same thing earlier,if we we're to win both remaining games against the top two,we'd have HOW MANY POINTS,theoretically of course. So what if we're not top,there's along way to go still. I'd rather be 3rd from top than 3rd from bottom(memories of yesteryears).

Where have our season faltered and why are we behind ManU and L'Arse?
It faltered before a ball was kicked. Incomprehensible transfer dealing in the summer combined with the conversion of Jose to a dead-man-walking before we played out first game.

Playing "what if''s" is a pretty futile excercise. If the linesman in the Newcastle match had gone to Specsavers and hadn't missed a blatent offside for Kalou's winner; if Ronaldo hadn't missed that penalty at WH, the gap would be even bigger than it is. You say that Grant wins "in every department". So you conclude that Grant is a better manager than Jose, do you? May be you might care to elaborate while I sharpen my knives.....

It faltered before a ball was kicked. Incomprehensible transfer dealing in the summer combined with the conversion of Jose to a dead-man-walking before we played out first game.

Playing "what if''s" is a pretty futile excercise. If the linesman in the Newcastle match had gone to Specsavers and hadn't missed a blatent offside for Kalou's winner; if Ronaldo hadn't missed that penalty at WH, the gap would be even bigger than it is. You say that Grant wins "in every department". So you conclude that Grant is a better manager than Jose, do you? May be you might care to elaborate while I sharpen my knives.....

Yes, and I guess as the transfer dealing was bad, it had nothing to do with Jose.

If it had been good, Jose would have got all your praise for it.

This is typical of the anti-anything-establishment-Roman-Grant and pro-anything-Jose brigade who've been against Grant from the beginning, and will continue to be even if he won the title and CL and ended up with a bigger trophy haul than Jose.

It makes me sick to the core, the double standards people use against Grant. Jose was a great manager for us, but he made mistakes, including in the transfer market. Grant has made a pretty good start. He deserves some credit for it, and he gets little thanks to the anti-brigade who think they know more about football and coaching than someone who's been coaching for 35 years at some level or another, has won 4 league titles and managed his national side.

It's laughable.

If the linesman at Blackburn hadn't flagged Kalou offisde, if the linesman at Villa hadn't flagged for the penalty that never was... it works both ways Bazza.

Totally agree with you regarding the transfer activity. I would rather they had kicked Jose out in the Summer, brought someone in and given them some actual transfer funds. It is clear as day itself that Pizarro, Sidwell, TBH etc. are complete tosh, hardly the players to win titles. Considering the freebie nature of the dealings when constantly linked with the likes of Tevez, Torres and Villa etc. is the biggest affront to our title winning ambitions.

-tweeds

Cameron   

Where have we gone wrong?

We simply havn't been performing at home. We've had way too many draws at home in matches we should be winning. If we would have beaten Fulham, Everton, Blackburn and Villa at home in matches you'd expect us to win then we'd be 8 points better off.

Yes, and I guess as the transfer dealing was bad, it had nothing to do with Jose.

If it had been good, Jose would have got all your praise for it.

Now you're being silly. There was IMO a clear spending embargo last summer and I simply can't believe that without it we would have signed the players we did.
This is typical of the anti-anything-establishment-Roman-Grant and pro-anything-Jose brigade who've been against Grant from the beginning,
Criticsm of failing to strengthen the squad sufficiently might be taken as a sign of my belief that the Board don't know what they're doing. But Grant hadn't been appointed, nor Jose booted when I first made the criticism.

kelsi   

Not a lot has gone wrong. Just another phase in the life of a big club. The only thing wrong (if you can really call it wrong) is a weak squad. I really do sympathise with SWP. The guy is trying so hard. But just when he finds himself in front of goal, it all deserts him. The same could be said for Kalou. Converting the odd chance is OK if you want to rub shoulders with the likes of Fulham. But at our level we need a much higher level of conversion. As for TBH, Pizzaro, Sidwell, I really don't know what the purpose of their coming here was.

Mehrino   

The last couple of games involving the big-four have all been decided on the tightest of margins. If...

Villa hadn't equalised in 90+ mins

Gerrard hadn't have scored for Pool in the dying mins

Everton didn't concede a last min pen at OT

Robbie Keane hadn't missed his pen at the Camel Dome

things would be much tighter at the top. This is eventually how titles are won, and given our atrocious record with injuries and suspensions I fear that Lady Luck has deserted us yet again this season in the League.