• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flo17

Movies

Speaking of Garth Ennis - I'm a fan of the Preacher :-) Esp when imagined by Steve Dillon

I must try to check them out. Are there any graphic novels?

JAFFA   
I must try to check them out. Are there any graphic novels?

Yup - at least 3 as I have them ;-)

'Gone to Texas'

'Until the End of the World'

'Proud Americans'

These 3 novels collect the 1st 26 issues.

I hear on the grapevine that HBO is interested in filming an adaptation ....

Yup - at least 3 as I have them ;-)

'Gone to Texas'

'Until the End of the World'

'Proud Americans'

These 3 novels collect the 1st 26 issues.

I hear on the grapevine that HBO is interested in filming an adaptation ....

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to source the first one next time I'm in the vicinity of a Forbidden Planet.

JAFFA   
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to source the first one next time I'm in the vicinity of a Forbidden Planet.

I was down at the Shaftesbury Ave FP a couple of weeks ago. I was wandering about central London taking pics of this and that (teaching myself photography) and thought I'd take a gander inside. For a bit of nostalgia. What really struck me was the high quality busts/statues of various heroic characters from comics and film. There are some really striking pieces of work which I would LOVE.

can't see my better half wanting a 2 foot tall figure of Wolverine on the mantle-piece though .... :(

I was down at the Shaftesbury Ave FP a couple of weeks ago. I was wandering about central London taking pics of this and that (teaching myself photography) and thought I'd take a gander inside. For a bit of nostalgia. What really struck me was the high quality busts/statues of various heroic characters from comics and film. There are some really striking pieces of work which I would LOVE.

can't see my better half wanting a 2 foot tall figure of Wolverine on the mantle-piece though .... :(

:D Yeah the ladies generally aren't very understanding about this stuff are they. One of my favourite pieces I bought (for my son obviously ;) )

was a McFarlane classic figure of Alice Cooper (like this one but better) with a **** load of extras like spiders, cane, top hat, rapier - gawd just talking about it makes me want to play with it.

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Starstor..._TOYS_1460.html

Was a huge comics fan as a child, then got back into it in the 90s for a few years. Developed a huge collection and slowly realized that most of them were just recycling the same story lines over and over. When it got to the point where I wasn't reading them anymore, even a little bit, I gave it up. Selling them is almost not worth the effort because you can't even get face value for them. Everybody keeps them in mint condition so if you get 10 cents a book, you are very lucky. Better to keep them for your children and grandchildren to enjoin.

Marvel and DC characters are now the number 1 single source of scripts for Hollywood, which tends to show how bereft they are of creativity, although most of the movies are excellent. Iron Man and Batman Begins were just great films. The rest are at least mildly entertaining -- except Superman, which never did anything for me. He's omnipotent and an alien to boot. He's never really in danger unless they contrive something. The best thing about Superman ever done was Kill Bill 2, where Bill observes that Superman in the cape is the real man -- Kal-El from Krypton -- and Clark Kent is his costume, his comment on humanity (bumbling, awkward, etc.).

I would love to see Dark Knight Returns as a movie. Its THE all time classic graphic novel. They could wait until Christain Bale can pass for 55 with makeup or cast some Hollywood legend in the role. Plenty of greats about that age.

CellSea   

There's a movie named Journey To The Center Of The Earth. I've seen the older version and it's a good movie during that time. I hope this new remade version will be as good as the old ones.

Was a huge comics fan as a child, then got back into it in the 90s for a few years. Developed a huge collection and slowly realized that most of them were just recycling the same story lines over and over. When it got to the point where I wasn't reading them anymore, even a little bit, I gave it up. Selling them is almost not worth the effort because you can't even get face value for them. Everybody keeps them in mint condition so if you get 10 cents a book, you are very lucky. Better to keep them for your children and grandchildren to enjoin.

Marvel and DC characters are now the number 1 single source of scripts for Hollywood, which tends to show how bereft they are of creativity, although most of the movies are excellent. Iron Man and Batman Begins were just great films. The rest are at least mildly entertaining -- except Superman, which never did anything for me. He's omnipotent and an alien to boot. He's never really in danger unless they contrive something. The best thing about Superman ever done was Kill Bill 2, where Bill observes that Superman in the cape is the real man -- Kal-El from Krypton -- and Clark Kent is his costume, his comment on humanity (bumbling, awkward, etc.).

I would love to see Dark Knight Returns as a movie. Its THE all time classic graphic novel. They could wait until Christain Bale can pass for 55 with makeup or cast some Hollywood legend in the role. Plenty of greats about that age.

Good points well made WB. For a comic to be worth something it tends to have to include something like the first appearance of Venom, the death of Jason Todd etc. and even then it's not guaranteed. It's funny to think of all those Detective Comics No 37 - the appearance of Batman that were used as packing on the old Transatlantic freighters.

Guest Louder Than Ritalin   
Guest Louder Than Ritalin
Good points well made WB. For a comic to be worth something it tends to have to include something like the first appearance of Venom, the death of Jason Todd etc. and even then it's not guaranteed. It's funny to think of all those Detective Comics No 37 - the appearance of Batman that were used as packing on the old Transatlantic freighters.

I have a few comics that ain't been valued but I assume are sitting at a pretty penny. I have a copy of X-Men #4 (The Brotherhood Of Mutants) & X-Men #7 (Return Of The Blob) which I got for my 18th. I know they cost my parents a pretty penny but I have never got them valued as I will never sell them.

I have another few first editions and limited series comics. First appearance of Deadpool and first appearance of Havok being my favourite 2. I reckon I must have around 2,800 comics at the moment and all of them accept a batch of about 100 mixed comics are all Marvel.

hanuma   
Marvel and DC characters are now the number 1 single source of scripts for Hollywood, which tends to show how bereft they are of creativity

That's harsh on Marvel/DC and not nearly harsh enough on Hollywood. Essentially they cherry-pick the absolute vanilla middle ground of at least a reasonably diverse/deep art form. One couldn't deny that the comic book world is in turn affected by Hollywood and it's ability to imagine scenarios in keeping with a cinematic image, however that's normally the tone setter for imagining scenes impossible to portray with real people.

I also have to admit I loved comics as a kid and loved knowing about comics as part of a subculture thing into my early teens (before real life opened up to become a fantasy landscape), however the only mainstream character that I really got on with was the Green Lantern and his most disappointing appearances were in the Justice League which was humorless and dull. A contrived effort at uniting entirely tangential comic universes into one where the, as you say, thoroughly dull Superman with his unlimited strength, endless chin, stupid quiff and sterile tongue suddenly needs a small army on a space ship to fight off world terror. To me 'The Justice League' is the 'Hollywood comic' where the genre isn't seriously studied or cared for, but at the same time the joke is lost too.