• Current Donation Goals

Flo17

Movies

Vinod   

What did you guys think of Avatar?

Better than 2012. Not much of a story-line, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Vinod   

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

What aint a country I ever heard of...do they speak English in What?

One could go on and on and on....every line a gem.

English Mother******, Do you speak English?

Avatar -- worth me going to see it? Haven't been to the cinema in a while and heard good things. Wondering if anyone can give me an non-Wossy opinion.

What did you guys think of Avatar?

"Dances with Wolves" meets the Colonial Marines from Cameron's 1986 film "Aliens" (with Sigourney Weaver in tow no less).

Nothing more than yet another "Noble Savage" story (I.e., aboriginal man/alien "good" - human/European/American "bad"), this time with quite nice XBOX 360 visual effects. The convergence between video games animating movies and movies that are just one progression of events in an elaborate video game is complete.

Enjoyable, yes. Commerical, unquestionably. Predicatable, most assuredly. Will make Cameron even more filthy rich and arrogant, undoubedly.

Vinod   

Avatar -- worth me going to see it? Haven't been to the cinema in a while and heard good things. Wondering if anyone can give me an non-Wossy opinion.

It is your regular Hollywood blockbuster. It has just enough of a storyline and emotion to keep the audience engaged.

It is primarily a visual treat; I'd recommend it unless you are one of those movie-goers who get put-off by unexplained/ illogical events in a movie.

Watched Syriana again (for the benefit of my lady who hadn't seen it) and it really is a fantastic flick. Dark and gritty but oh so true in many aspects. One of those that reveals something new every time you watch it.

Watched Inglorious bastards tonight with the Mrs as daughter is having a sleep over.

Pretty good. Classic Tarrentino obviously and whilst the storyline has more holes than a Swiss cheese, a reasonable romp none the less. Shades of Reservoir Dogs and Soprano's with possibly a hint of Sven Hassel but hey can't knock any of those!

Highlights -Christoph Waltz totally owned the film

low lights -Brad Pitt. completely miscast and couldn't even ham it up properly

Lowish light but worth a mention-Diane Kruger. good but too modern looking (Ute Lemper would have been perfect..)

hanuma   

Watched Syriana again (for the benefit of my lady

Watched Inglorious bastards tonight with the Mrs

It'll never last!

I really wanted to like Inglourious Basterds [sic] but in the end I thought it was only decent at best.

It started out brilliantly in the scene in France. The actor Christoph Waltz was magnificent in the scene, and his almost academic-sounding discussion on hatred with a nonchalance I found very well written and chilling. I thought the movie was going to continue in that vein, but nope.

I got along with the girl, Shoshanna?, story, but I seriously couldn't go with Brad Pitt's men. They were neither funny nor insightful, didn't gain the viewer's admiration nor anger... what was the point of them?

If the movie was about a failed/successful attempt on mid-level Nazis by Shoshanna, and Christoph Waltz being given far more scenes, with no Basterds at all... it may've been a much better movie.