• Current Donation Goals

Flo17

Movies

This is more than a little sad:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

I remember hordes of pre-teen girls having similar feelings about Titanic...feeling that they would trade their own lives for the "tragically romantic" Edwardian world depicted in that movie and watching the movie over and over again to escape from the dreary ugliness of their own existences.

Cameron is a genius in at least one way: he makes movies that are tremendously moving and seem intellectually deep to 10s of millions who are not terribly deep or intellectual themselves. I say that without any derision because if you view the ultimate purpose of art as being to provoke an emotional and/or intellectual reponse from the audience/reader/listener and measure greatness, at least in part, by the number of souls touched by a body of work -- which I believe most true artists would -- Cameron is a "great" artist. It is fashionable to pour scorn on "Hollywood" -- whatever "Hollywood" really means now in the age of globalisation -- to seem intelligent ourselves, but I sometimes have difficulty justifying my own smoking-jacket-clad belief in the superiority of the work of Kurosawa, Bergman and other more obscure (mostly non-English speaking) filmmakers when I think honestly about the purpose of art.

I used to have that feeling about Star Wars when I was about 11, though it probably couldn't be categorized as depression.

And I agree in a way about Cameron, but I'd call him more of an efficient artist than a great one. He can deliver on the basic levels - financially successful and also loved by the masses, but you do have to take into account the fact that Cameron is backed up by huge resources for both production and marketing which most artists don't have. I think that with both Titanic and Avatar, Cameron has taken what he knows will work on audiences and simply put huge amounts of time and money into making them grander and more spectacular than anyone else in cinema can achieve (even Spielberg and Jackson, I reckon). He's a director that knows what to do with a big budget, unlike so many others.

Edited by Zianfranco Gola

It's such a pity as Cameron used to make really great movies. He's been sullied by the Hollywood 'man'. Although I do agree he delivers the basics consistently I think that qualifying it as 'art' simply because pre pubescents get all misty over some bullets and special effects is a little extreme. (It's ok WB, I know you weren't saying that.) However, if you compare him to a director like Peter Jackson I.e. never made a good film but due to that steaming pile of LOTR has been given free reign with the chequebook, he still looks pretty good! Whereas Ridley Scott's movies, although not always great, do hang together well and are beautifully shot and some of those bad boys are most definately art! (Just not art in a Darren Aronofsky way!)

It's such a pity as Cameron used to make really great movies. He's been sullied by the Hollywood 'man'. Although I do agree he delivers the basics consistently I think that qualifying it as 'art' simply because pre pubescents get all misty over some bullets and special effects is a little extreme. (It's ok WB, I know you weren't saying that.) However, if you compare him to a director like Peter Jackson I.e. never made a good film but due to that steaming pile of LOTR has been given free reign with the chequebook, he still looks pretty good! Whereas Ridley Scott's movies, although not always great, do hang together well and are beautifully shot and some of those bad boys are most definately art! (Just not art in a Darren Aronofsky way!)

This is more than a little sad:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

The strangest thing about this story is the fact it doesn't happen more. If people are so easily enchanted by fantasy then why does Avatar has such an effect? Surely they feel the same everytime they see a particulary attractive member of the opposite sex on TV?

You didn't like Heavenly Creatures or Braindead?

Nope, sorry.

hanuma   

I disliked Sherlock Holmes only because I'm such a fan of Conan Doyle's work and they literally made Holmes and Watson into Batman and Robin without the costumes, right down to the vaguely gay over-the-top "bromance."

I thought as much from the trailers. I won't continue to bore everyone with my dislike for most of these movies, but I have to say that the hypocrisy of anti-Americanism in the current climate is exposed here, because this seems to be a film that conspires to all the old Hollywood cliches. It dicks around with a classic story, until some tanned, muscular, sparkly-toothed American actor has his Freudian moment. Downey Jr. is about as complex as a fist to the face, Jude Law is as gay as Christmas (as all real British men have to be...), it appears there's no end of absurd action sequences but somehow Guy Ritchie's involvement lends it 'authenticity'?

Btw, I tried to watch SlumDog Millionaire on Channel 4 the other night, and I failed, it seemed relentlessly dull... perhaps I'm the dull one, the last movie that grabbed my attention was 'Persona' and I felt simply because of the acting, rather than any deep and meaningful story. The two main actresses were intense, laughably so at some points, but even that's a huge improvement on the chuckle brothers above.

yugam   

Btw, I tried to watch SlumDog Millionaire on Channel 4 the other night, and I failed, it seemed relentlessly dull... perhaps I'm the dull one, the last movie that grabbed my attention was 'Persona' and I felt simply because of the acting, rather than any deep and meaningful story. The two main actresses were intense, laughably so at some points, but even that's a huge improvement on the chuckle brothers above.

Never understood how it managed to reach the Oscars.

A regular movie in which the best part was its child performers,who were there for a little time only.Btw I have heard much better music scores then what this churned out..