• Current Donation Goals

Flo17

Movies

PhilH930   

I thought as much from the trailers. I won't continue to bore everyone with my dislike for most of these movies, but I have to say that the hypocrisy of anti-Americanism in the current climate is exposed here, because this seems to be a film that conspires to all the old Hollywood cliches. It dicks around with a classic story, until some tanned, muscular, sparkly-toothed American actor has his Freudian moment. Downey Jr. is about as complex as a fist to the face, Jude Law is as gay as Christmas (as all real British men have to be...), it appears there's no end of absurd action sequences but somehow Guy Ritchie's involvement lends it 'authenticity'?

Btw, I tried to watch SlumDog Millionaire on Channel 4 the other night, and I failed, it seemed relentlessly dull... perhaps I'm the dull one, the last movie that grabbed my attention was 'Persona' and I felt simply because of the acting, rather than any deep and meaningful story. The two main actresses were intense, laughably so at some points, but even that's a huge improvement on the chuckle brothers above.

My goodness, I came into off topic for some light relief and find your cynical posts on every page! Just chill out and enjoy movies a little more. With the volume of movies nowadays its not surprising a few bad scripts get through. My local cinema has 24 screens - which they try to fill 24/7. Sadly its all about $$$.

Let's see; Sherlock Holmes was a little too Hollywood for me. I just watched the Bluray of Star Trek, which was enjoyable and relatively authentic to its roots, but greatly adapted to the 21st C audience. I actually enjoyed Avatar a little. I saw it in IMAX 3D; whether that is better or not I don't know as I have no comparison. I went into the movie expecting absolutely nothing (due to reports) from the story and a lot from the 3D. I walked out feeling the story was more entertaining than critics led on and the 3D was understated, which worked well. I also just watched Battle of Britain and A Bridge To Far (great cast), both movies that feel well made for their day.

Looking forward to the new Mel Gibson movie, 'Edge of Darkness'. His first acting role since 2002 (I believe). I've always enjoyed his films, in particular Braveheart, Payback, LW, and despite its awful representation of the British, The Patriot.

Edited by PhilH930

Edge of Darkness does look like it would be enjoyable.

Well the TV series was absolutely cracking. I bought it a few years ago on DVD to watch again.

Bob Peck is a ridiculously limited actor - but fortunately this was his role. Eric Clapton music is striking, the American CIA man, Joe Don Baker, was great fun,...

... and then there was Joanne Whalley. Perfect.

I gather it'll be the same Director.

yugam   

I disliked Sherlock Holmes only because I'm such a fan of Conan Doyle's work and they literally made Holmes and Watson into Batman and Robin without the costumes, right down to the vaguely gay over-the-top "bromance." Take 15 years off of both men and make them martial arts experts and remove any hint of a "mystery" (you know from moment 1 exactly who the bad guy is and what his goals are in this movie) and it is otherwise faithful to the book. :)

In some ways, it was a lot like "Batman Begins," with the hero being introduced as he deals with a lesser villan (I.e. "Scarecrow" and "Ras Al Gul" in Batman) while the real heavy villan -- Joker and Prof. Moriarity -- are foreshadowed at the very end to whet our appetites for the sequel.

It was a good movie overall but could have been a little better with the story.The trailers were impressive but I went thinking it could never match the excellence of the Jeremy Brett series and so it was.The first was just about ok but it got better in the second half..

The late Jeremy Brett is still the best Sherlock Holmes for me..

Saw Frost/Nixon yesterday (thanks for the tip whoever plugged it earlier in the thread) - phenomenal. I don't know if it will be in the running for the up and coming oscars or whether it was out in time for the last batch but Frank Langella delivers a masterful portrayal of tricky Dickie. I think I'll wait a while and then do a back to back with 'All the President's Men'.

Avatar is now the largest grossing movie of all time, with the second largest grossing being Titanic. It appears that the movie going public deserve to be flagellated to death. Either that or the creators of this monumental cascade of fecal detritis want hanging. I can understand curiosity but this is ridiculous.

Where's my gun?

bornblue   

Saw Frost/Nixon yesterday (thanks for the tip whoever plugged it earlier in the thread) - phenomenal. I don't know if it will be in the running for the up and coming oscars or whether it was out in time for the last batch but Frank Langella delivers a masterful portrayal of tricky Dickie. I think I'll wait a while and then do a back to back with 'All the President's Men'.

Avatar is now the largest grossing movie of all time, with the second largest grossing being Titanic. It appears that the movie going public deserve to be flagellated to death. Either that or the creators of this monumental cascade of fecal detritis want hanging. I can understand curiosity but this is ridiculous.

Where's my gun?

Ah, but in old money Gone With the Wind is the highest-grossing movie ever, adjusted to $6bn+. Titanic? Avatar? Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!

yugam   

Absolutely brilliant.

I think it was nominated for the Oscars last year..

Avatar's some way off from GWTW and Star Wars in terms of ticket sales. It's breaking all the money records because of people paying extra for 3d.

Also, I thought Sheen was better than Langella in Frost/Nixon. I suppose portraying the most controversial American president of all time is going to get you noticed more than David Frost. Sheen's fast becoming my favourite British actor - it's a shame he had to turn up as the camp vampire in that Twilight film.

Indeed. Twilight=juvenile shite. Even The Lost Boys p**ses all over it.

mihk3l   

Twilight

Kids love sexy vampires (Scrubs)

Watched The Usual Suspects for the 1st time today -brilliant!