• Current Donation Goals

Flo17

Movies

Watched 'Fargo' for the first time tonight. Was distinctly underwhelmed. There are far better Coen Brothers movies.

Watched 'Fargo' for the first time tonight. Was distinctly underwhelmed. There are far better Coen Brothers movies.

AGREED

I waxed lyrical to an old boss about 'The big Lebowksi' and he was yet to watch it - he said check out fargo - his fave film. Watched it and I thought it was ok - but nothing special. He wanted Lebowski and said the same thing.

The Blind Side.

Anyone watched it or plan to?

The book by the superb Michael Lewis is great - all about American Football tactics, the rise of the guys that jump on Quarter backs from the blind side and the corresponding rise of the huge monsters with deft feet that protect them, and the story of how these monsters and their pay packets got bigger and bigger. And it is mixed with the story of one enormous young black kid who gets lucky by being befriended and then adopted by a rich millionaire who spends his spare time helping out the track & field coaching at his son's nice white school. Brilliant book, True Story, highly recommended by me.

Apparently the film is all about the millionaire's wife (Sandra Bullock) who is a stereotype white Christian republican ("we adopted a black kid before we even met a democrat") who quickly mothers the kid and teaches him manners. In the book there is a comic tone to the descriptions of her. But the film sounds (again anyone seen it?) like it is a big tribute to fine southern white republican churchgoing ladies.

Pity - someone please tell me it isn't that bad - I'd love to see a film of the book.

Saw Valkyrie last night and was left a bit disappointed.

I know, thought they would have killed him....;-)

Enjoyed Hurt Locker recently, not sure about all the Oscar stuff, but a good film.

Oh and am really enjoying The Pacific at the moment on Sky Movies, 10 part epic, directed by Spielberg and produced by Tom Hanks, anyone else watching it?

Edited by pazzasgirl

I happen to love it. Each to their own I suppose.

The Blind Side.

Anyone watched it or plan to?

I would like to give it a go. Whether or not it will turn out to be any good is another thing though.

Lord of war, any body see it on BBC1 the other day ?

I watched it a while back. Darkly comic, very entertaining.

Enjoyed Hurt Locker recently, not sure about all the Oscar stuff, but a good film.

I enjoyed it too. I haven't seen many of the other Oscar nominations so I can't comment on whether it deserved a win though.

I enjoyed it too. I haven't seen many of the other Oscar nominations so I can't comment on whether it deserved a win though.

I only saw Avatar, Hurt Locker and Inglorious B*stards out of the list, so yes, I haven't see them all.

I enjoyed all three of those films, thought Avatar would get it, just because well for me, it blew me away, but can see it's not everyone's cup of tea. I think possibly Hurt Locker's plaudits got a touch of 'female director and ex wife of James Cameron' hype.......all adds spice to the mix. But a good film nonetheless.

It was the first time in ages that the best film nominated actually won the Oscar, and that's even more surprising considering they added 5 more nominations.

If I had to put them all in order:

The Hurt Locker

Up

District 9

A Serious Man

An Education

Up in the Air

Precious

Inglourious Basterds

The Blind Side

Of course, that's all irrelevant when the actual best film I saw last year, Un Prophete, didn't even win in the foreign category (though the film that did hasn't even been released here yet). You'd have thought with them raising the number of best picture nominations to 10 they'd give some recognition to foreign cinema.