• Current Donation Goals

Flo17

Movies

I know, thought they would have killed him....;-)

Enjoyed Hurt Locker recently, not sure about all the Oscar stuff, but a good film.

Oh and am really enjoying The Pacific at the moment on Sky Movies, 10 part epic, directed by Spielberg and produced by Tom Hanks, anyone else watching it?

Enjoying The Pacific very much. Comparisons to "Band of Brothers" -- IMHO a serious candidate for the best thing ever on the small screen -- are inevitable and "The Pacific" is coming out second best (so far, anyway), which is a little unfair. "Band of Brothers" tells a story that by definition is much more compact: one company (Company E or "Easy" in the 506th Parachute Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division) from basic training to D-Day to the end of the war. Roughly 12 months from training to invasion to surrender. The 1st Marine Division fought in multiple Island campaigns from fall 1942 to 1945 and had down time in between gearing up for each push as the US Navy and Marines "island hopped" their way across the Pacific, which makes the story more difficult to follow. Also, because of how bloody the fighting was over that extended period, there are very few characters who can serve as a "focal point" for the entire series. Almost nobody stayed with the unit for the duration. But it is still well worth the effort. Some of the most harrowing battle scenes ever.

Anyone seen a film called Grizzly Man?

If you did, whatcha think?

It was the first time in ages that the best film nominated actually won the Oscar, and that's even more surprising considering they added 5 more nominations.

If I had to put them all in order:

The Hurt Locker

Up

District 9

A Serious Man

An Education

Up in the Air

Precious

Inglourious Basterds

The Blind Side

Of course, that's all irrelevant when the actual best film I saw last year, Un Prophete, didn't even win in the foreign category (though the film that did hasn't even been released here yet). You'd have thought with them raising the number of best picture nominations to 10 they'd give some recognition to foreign cinema.

Noticed that you have Up in second place. I thought it was fantastic, was completely unprepared for a cartoon to be so fulfilling and thought provoking.

Enjoying The Pacific very much. Comparisons to "Band of Brothers" -- IMHO a serious candidate for the best thing ever on the small screen -- are inevitable and "The Pacific" is coming out second best (so far, anyway), which is a little unfair. "Band of Brothers" tells a story that by definition is much more compact: one company (Company E or "Easy" in the 506th Parachute Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division) from basic training to D-Day to the end of the war. Roughly 12 months from training to invasion to surrender. The 1st Marine Division fought in multiple Island campaigns from fall 1942 to 1945 and had down time in between gearing up for each push as the US Navy and Marines "island hopped" their way across the Pacific, which makes the story more difficult to follow. Also, because of how bloody the fighting was over that extended period, there are very few characters who can serve as a "focal point" for the entire series. Almost nobody stayed with the unit for the duration. But it is still well worth the effort. Some of the most harrowing battle scenes ever.

I never saw BoB but It's definitely on my list. We are watching a lot of the History Channel at the moment, World of War is being repeated again, part 7 of 26 at the mo, and its up to Guadalcanal, and also Lost Films of WWII, fascinating and quite shocking stuff.

I've been enjoying the pacific as well... It's been literally years since I covered that in history and have enjoyed re-learning some things. As my family wasn't in the pacific theatre and was all over Europe, I had a tendency to read more about that...

Excellent. However, don't take enjoyment of the film as actual praise for "Grizzly Man" himself. He's an idiot.

Certainly had a reckless abandon about him to say the least...glad you liked the film and would I'd recommend it highly to others who haven't seen it.

Edited by davie

Saw 'Cemetary Junction' this evening. Certainly raised a smile or 94. I would highly recommend for a giggle, especially if you've ever lived in a small town.

Gervais' comments around the breakfast table and banter with the nan are first class dialogue. Definately 'British' humour though (and I don't mean that just because I've put a 'u' in it! ;-P)

Also saw 'Babel' last night.

Wow.

In a good way.

Avoid if you are allergic to subtitles.

Watched the new Robin Hood film last night, even though I'd heard mixed comments, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not the usual romantic slush, more grit, blood and thunder.

It's more of a prequel, and left wide open for the next saga.

I'd give it 5 *.