• Current Donation Goals

Flo17

Movies

Sir   

Massively disappointed with The Social Network. When it ended I was like WTF. Didn't seem to last that long, and really I didn't think it was that well put together. I didn't really like the in and out appearances of them sitting in a board room, seemed to really disrupt the flow of the film. There just wasn't enough about it, it seemed really crammed in. Very disappointed.

rj2115   

Massively disappointed with The Social Network. When it ended I was like WTF. Didn't seem to last that long, and really I didn't think it was that well put together. I didn't really like the in and out appearances of them sitting in a board room, seemed to really disrupt the flow of the film. There just wasn't enough about it, it seemed really crammed in. Very disappointed.

wow..!!!

I actually loved the movie :)

bornblue   

Had some time off last week so caught up with some flicks...

The Social Network - Given that I am a Facebook naysayer, the rather dry subject matter and the fact that their is only one slightly sympathetic character and she pretty much vanishes after the first scene...I quite liked this. The script was typically zippy from Aaron Sorkin and the performances were decent.

Black Swan - A decent effort all round, although the ending felt a little flat. I thought Natalie Portman was engaging although Vincent Cassell was a bit on the cheesy side.

The Troll Hunter (Trolljegeren)- Really great little 'found-footage' (a la Blair Witch Project/Cloverfield) faux-documentary from Norway about a secret government-sponsered Troll Hunter. Great effects for what was a reasonably low budget, very engaging plot with a wonderful undercurrent of black humour. Would highly recommend.

Confessions - Intriguing thriller from Japan about a school teacher who seeks revenge on 2 pupils who caused the death of her daughter. Really atmospheric, and some great performances.

Thirst - South Korean vampire movie from Park Chan-Wook. As with all of Park's other efforts this one is full of wonderful little moments and plenty of wry, black humour amongst the blood. Not your typical fang flick.

The Town - This Ben Affleck-directed thriller has garnered rave reviews but unfortunately I didn't share their judgement. The performances are decent enough, particularly Jeremy Renner, but an incredulous plot turn rather ruined it for me, and seeing as this plot turn makes up the bulk of the movie it left me disappointed.

Frozen - Decent low(ish) budget thriller as 3 college friends get stuck on a ski lift for the weekend. Sounds dumb, and it won't win any oscars, but it is pretty tense, there are dilemmas a-plenty which will have you wondering what you would do and the acting is solid enough. Also quite a few hard-to-watch moments which elevate it above the norm.

I also took the time to catch up on some animated excellence in the form of Frisky Dingo and Archer. Would highly recommend both if you are a fan of dark, twisted humour and endless quotability.

Edited by bornblue

Woah man! You're probably the only one I've heard who didn't like it. You must have had some different expectations before you started watching.

Black Swan - A decent effort all round, although the ending felt a little flat. I thought Natalie Portman was engaging although Vincent Cassell was a bit on the cheesy side.

The Town - This Ben Affleck-directed thriller has garnered rave reviews but unfortunately I didn't share their judgement. The performances are decent enough, particularly Jeremy Renner, but an incredulous plot turn rather ruined it for me, and seeing as this plot turn makes up the bulk of the movie it left me disappointed.

I agree with both of these. Black Swan was interesting but the ending lacked punch. Natalie Portman was great though. The Town didn't do much for me, especially as I went into it with some expectations. The story line was incredibly far-fetched for a film that tried to have an element of 'realism' and I didn't really feel attached to any of the characters. Renner was good once again though, he was the most convincing character.

Finally got around to watching Winter's Bone which I thought was excellent. It missed out on the Oscars but it was good to see it get some Spirit awards.

Sir   

Woah man! You're probably the only one I've heard who didn't like it. You must have had some different expectations before you started watching.

I did like it, but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. And by all the people's reviews, I did have big hopes. It just seemed so crammed in, and it didn't flow. Mini party scene? Check. Pulls a bird? Check. Has an argument? Check. etc

bornblue   

Finally got around to watching Winter's Bone which I thought was excellent. It missed out on the Oscars but it was good to see it get some Spirit awards.

I've got Winter's Bone but haven't watched it yet, hopefully get around to it soon.

I saw the Banksy documentary "Exit Through the Gift Shop" last night - was enjoyable enough. The first half was very interesting for anybody with an interest in Banksy/Street Art itself; the second half was less enjoyable and must be where all the accusations of 'hoax' stem from as it does strain credulity somewhat. I'd love to hear the thoughts of anyone else who has seen it?

Edited by bornblue

I saw the Banksy documentary "Exit Through the Gift Shop" last night - was enjoyable enough. The first half was very interesting for anybody with an interest in Banksy/Street Art itself; the second half was less enjoyable and must be where all the accusations of 'hoax' stem from as it does strain credulity somewhat. I'd love to hear the thoughts of anyone else who has seen it?

I really enjoyed this, the French guy was brilliant. My favourite part was when he was describing how the security guards entered Disneyland, 'they were security guards, but not dressed like security guards...people who don't come to Disneyland to have fun'.

I do agree the Mr.Brainwash bit was thoroughly unrealistic, but you can see people falling for the whole thing- fancy warehouse, Banksy's influence etc.

Enjoyable documentary all round though.

Edited by Sideshow Luiz

Just saw Garden State with Zach Braff and Natalie Portman. It was released in 2004, but I was looking for a good movie to watch. It's a quirky film, but I really enjoyed it, probably because I'm 17. Interesting to see what's going to come in the next 10 years or so.

Edited by Sideshow Luiz