• Current Donation Goals

Flo17

Movies

Ham   
21 hours ago, Paul Mcgoochan said:

I, Daniel Blake is one of the most powerful and upsetting films that I have seen. It will not put a spring in your step.

It is a film that gives the viewer an insight into the deprevation and hopelessness that some areas of the country face each and every day. And, if have been unfortunate to have to 'Sign On', you will recognise the bureaucracy of the system and also the desperation of having to ask for help at a 'Food Bank'. 

Having used both myself, all I can say, is that the shame is on those that caused it in the first place, not those who have found themselves there.

It will not cheer you up, but it's up there with 'Boys from the Black Stuff', an 80's series set in Liverpool.

I took your advice and watched this last night. Please tell me that the level of bureaucracy was exaggerated for comic effect?  It can't really be like that, surely?!!?  

The performance of the young girl from London was outstanding. She stood out for me. 

My missus was in tears watching this. Excellent film.  Thanks for the recommendation. 

3 hours ago, Ham said:

I took your advice and watched this last night. Please tell me that the level of bureaucracy was exaggerated for comic effect?  It can't really be like that, surely?!!?  

The performance of the young girl from London was outstanding. She stood out for me. 

My missus was in tears watching this. Excellent film.  Thanks for the recommendation. 

All too true, I'm afraid.

Jasonb   
On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:49 PM, Mark Kelly said:

Anyone seen "Hypernormalisation" by Adam Curtis .

That's a real eye opener.

I watched it, an ambitious scope and certainly interesting.

Seeing a young Trump, the machines doing their predictive analysis and a certain narrative on the Middle East not all of which I agree with.

Not really that controversial which is probably why the BBC hosts it.

On 20/03/2017 at 0:16 PM, Bob Singleton said:

All too true, I'm afraid.

Yep, and it doesn't help when the number of jobs lost and sites that have been closed either. DWP, Tax Office etc. The Tax Office is a nightmare trying to get through.

The scene where she opens a tin of food, the Food Bank Helper, is exactly that, she's not an actress. And her reactions were just normal, she wasn't told anything about 'that' scene. She reacted how she would have done for a member of the public.