Flo17

Movies

1,463 posts in this topic

My favourite film of all time though is 'The Lord Of The Rings' I love all 3 films with a passion. I'm really into Medievil and sourcery films.

My favourites too. An absolutely incredible set of films.

Say no more. My favourite of all time, too. Did you watch Gladiator and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? Both are tied for my second favourte movies ever.

Gladiator is up there for me too. Quality.

The book is way better than the movie, for I Am Legend. The took away from the whole premise of the book, just to Hollywoodise the ending, and I had such high hopes for that book.

I'm reading 'I Am Legend' at the moment and find it hard to imagine how the film could follow it faithfully. Will Smith is a strange choice to as Robert Neville in the book is white, blonde and of German descent. I think they must have taken the outline of the story and added 'Hollywood' factor to make a mainstream blockbuster.

Iron Man

The Incredible Hulk

Wall-E

Valkyrie

Hellboy 2 The Golden Army

Dark Knight

I'm sure some will be amazing and some will be flops. Superhero films seem to be very unpredictable. All the Batman films were rubbish before 'Batman Begins' came along. And the two Spiderman films were great until 'Spiderman 3' came along. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Young Guns and Young Guns II were good.

Also has anyone seen a film called Footsoldiers or something like that? whats your opinion of it?

Excellent, excellent taste. Batman Begins is the best comic book movie I've ever seen, bar none. I thought Nolan lost it by adding the Joker (Nicholson was impressive, and there are other bad-guys available I thought), but I heard the laugh in a teaser and the voice, and Ledger's got the voice down fantastic. My most awaited movie of 2008. Aaron Eckhart's also playing Harvey Dent, and I really rate this guy (Thank You for Smoking is a wonderful, wonderful, film).

Although I was sceptical about Ledger as well (much like Topher Grace in SM3) the trailers have proved everyone wrong, the laugh is fantastic and the whole persona is down to a tee. I thought Nicholson was an absolute joke (no pun intended). Thank You For Smoking is a decent film, but I urge you to read the book, it's much better.

I agree. After seeing the Dark Knight trailer I think we are in for a treat!

Anyone seen Half Nelson with Ryan Gosling? Cracking film. A nice change from explosions and car chases. Great soundtrack too. Not sure how well it did though.

Thank You For Smoking is a decent film, but I urge you to read the book, it's much better.

You're kidding me? Must read book, then.

A movie of real substance would be nice. Like Crash

Loved Crash.

My favourites also include "A Beautiful Mind" and "The Insider" (Pacino and Crowe). There's something special about the two movies. I could watch them again and again.

The book is way better than the movie, for I Am Legend. The took away from the whole premise of the book, just to Hollywoodise the ending, and I had such high hopes for that book.

From the description of the book, I understood the term "I am Legend". In the movie, you wouldn't. I really think it'd have been better to go with the book. I might read the book later on, once I get the memory of the spoilers I read lessend in my memory.

Has there ever been a movie adaptation of a book that was better than the book? I don't think I've seen any. Lord of the Rings was a fine movie, but Tolkien's books were richer in depth and detail (and thus better). I heard someone once say a good book has never been bested by a movie adaptation. He said "The Godfather" book wasn't good, the movie was great.

I don't think I've ever seen a movie of a book I liked where I thought the movie did a better job. Whether it was a Hollywood film, or otherwise.

I really want to see 'No Country For Old Men.' Getting rave reviews, has one of my favourite childhood movie stars in it (Josh Brolin - I grew up with the Goonies) and the killer has probably the two most ingenious weapons ever, a cattle gun and a silenced shotgun. Creative, eh?

It really is top-notch. I don't think I've seen a movie like it before. Completely unpredictable (trust me when I say it, I couldn't guess anything in the moive). The dialogue is superb, and the directing really gets you into it (atmosphere etc...). I'm sure it'll be great at home, but I think it's even better in the theatres. Josh Brolin is really great. Tommy Lee Jones is excellent (as usual). But Javier Bardem steals the show. A frightening character, I was actually scared of him and knew exactly why others feared him.

Films I have watched over the last few days include:

Blood Diamond:

Director: Edward Zwick

Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Djimon Hounsou & Jennifer Connelly

Really enjoyed this film and thought DiCaprio was excellent. Really showed how people are so quick to exploit war torn Africa in order to make a quick buck. Also was interesting to see the various loopholes that allow these multi national companies that trade in blood diamonds to continue raping these fragile states.

Dogville:

Director: Lars von Trier

Cast: Nicole Kidman, Lauren Bacall & Paul Bettany

For anyone who has not had the chance to watch this film I strongly suggest you do. One of the most unusual yet strangely genius movies I have ever watched. Anyone familiar with Lars von Trier's work will realise that he pushes boundaries to the absolute limits. Nicole Kidman is excellent and this film shows the truely horrible side of human nature. For those interested the film is shot completely on stage, there are no building on chalk outlines on the stage floor. Very unusual but for the film connoisseur a must.

Old Boy:

Director: Chan-wook Park

Cast: Min-sik Choi & Ji-tae Yu

This film again is outstanding! I believe it is Korean so for anyone who can't handle subtitles then stay clear, however anyone willing to give it a try will not be disappointed. It follows the life of a Korean man who has been imprisoned for 15 years by a mysterious figure. He is then suddenly released and the remainder of the film follows his investigation into trying to find the reason for his imprisonment. This film is not for the feint hearted, in fact it was recently blamed for one of the caused behind the Virginia Tech massacre.

28 Weeks Later:

Director: Juan Carlos Fresnadillo

Cast: Catherine McCormack & Robert Carlyle

I absolutely loved 28 Days Later and seriously thought this film would be a step backwards. I don't believe it is anywhere near as good as the first movie however it does do exactly what it says on the tin. I found the infected rather more grotesque and possibly more frightening in this movie but the whole Americanisation of it was pretty off putting. All in all a good no holds barred horroresque movie that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

I Am Legend:

Director: Francis Lawrence

Cast: Will Smith & Alice Braga

This film has a lot of detractors and I suppose I would be one of them. Like Jon I have read the book and found it changed direction to much, however I'm not naive enough to think that films have to mirror books down to the wire because that simply isn't possible. The one thing I did love about the movie was the interaction between Will Smith and Sam and also Will Smith and the mannequins I thought showed a great insight into the human psyche. The Dark Seekers for me were to brazen to understand. I get their need to feed but there were certain aspects of them that the movie didn't care to explain. This film could have been so much better but I can help but think the storyline suffered to bring us the great visuals.

That will do just now but I can see me hanging around this thread for quite sometime. I love movies!

Edited by Louder Than Ritalin

No Country for Old Men. January 18th. An amazing film. A must-see.

I Am Legend:

This film has a lot of detractors and I suppose I would be one of them. Like Jon I have read the book and found it changed direction to much, however I'm not naive enough to think that films have to mirror books down to the wire because that simply isn't possible.

It would be very hard to make a film that follows the book closely, especially one that people would flock to the cinema to see. I think that they have tried to target a bigger audience with the casting of Will Smith etc.

I haven't seen the film yet but hope to soon.

28 Weeks Later:

Director: Juan Carlos Fresnadillo

Cast: Catherine McCormack & Robert Carlyle

I absolutely loved 28 Days Later and seriously thought this film would be a step backwards. I don't believe it is anywhere near as good as the first movie however it does do exactly what it says on the tin. I found the infected rather more grotesque and possibly more frightening in this movie but the whole Americanisation of it was pretty off putting. All in all a good no holds barred horroresque movie that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Robert Carlyle = Legend.

Went to see I Am Legeng last night. Can't compare it to 28 Days/weeks later,as I've not seen them. Lots of suspense,but I do think that the two 28 films will be better.

Want to see The Flying Scotsman asap,looks a cracking film. The Dark Knight trailer looks fantastic.

One of my favourite films from last year was The Transformers. But two films that are very thought provoking,Crash and PleasantVille.

I have varied taste.