• Current Donation Goals

Flo17

Movies

>Talking about NZ films -try "Once were warriors" no that's a good film.

Very good film. Is a toss-up between that and Romper Stomper as to which film I prefer from down under.

But Mad Max 1,has got to be my all time favourite from that part of the world. OOhh,those lovely bikes. Kawasaki's Z900's and Z1000's,the 1st proper muscle bikes,but that's another topic altogether.

I would assume you have seen Chopper too? I was rather pleasantly surprised. Not a film (although it was meant to be) does anyone remember "Made in Britain" on telly?

The MM1 was indeed by far the greatest version. Once it went all 'Hollywood' it became dreadfully lame.. Toecutter was a great baddie too ;-)

Cheers

Richard

Up for a bike discussion -last bike was an '83 Z1100R eddie Lawson replicia ;-)

Went to see Cloverfield earlier (rugby was on so the cinema was empty! =]) and I must say..... what a film!

Non-stop excitment for 90 minutes or so, not outstaying it's welcome and not too short. Camera work was superb and the acting was pretty good from a largely unknown cast.

I think J.J Abrams has cemented his position as one of the best writers out there at the moment.

Benners   
I would assume you have seen Chopper too? I was rather pleasantly surprised. Not a film (although it was meant to be) does anyone remember "Made in Britain" on telly?

The MM1 was indeed by far the greatest version. Once it went all 'Hollywood' it became dreadfully lame.. Toecutter was a great baddie too ;-)

Cheers

Richard

Up for a bike discussion -last bike was an '83 Z1100R eddie Lawson replicia ;-)

Couple of bikers on here. Tim rides a Trumpet, I've got a '67 T100ss, a 90's Duc & a '78 Guzzi.

The worst biker film I ever saw was 'Stone'. Embarrassing!.

Haven't been on a bike for about 12 years,and I miss it every day. I'm looking for one again,but will need training just to keep myself alive a bit longer. Either a GSX-R or fireblade,hence the training.

Went to Brands a few years ago,Classic Bike,Hailwood,Surtees,Agostini etc were their. MV Agusta..........what a machine. Hearing a bike like that,the sound lives with you forever.

Sorry,back to the topic..........

Seb   
Went to see Cloverfield earlier (rugby was on so the cinema was empty! =]) and I must say..... what a film!

Non-stop excitment for 90 minutes or so, not outstaying it's welcome and not too short. Camera work was superb and the acting was pretty good from a largely unknown cast.

I think J.J Abrams has cemented his position as one of the best writers out there at the moment.

I went the other day as well. Great film it has to be said, but I didn't think it was non-stop excitement. I think that they tried to connect the viewer with the characters too early. I'm not going to spoil it on here but there were times when it lagged for me. However, that's very harsh as it is a good old fashioned monster flick first and foremost and does it's job superbly. The camera work is brill as well, really helps you to get a feel of the surroundings etc.

Paul1970   

Went to see Cloverfield last night.......Notbad!Very interesting how it was filmed.Saw a preview of a film that`s coming out in march which interest me,called REC, a Spanish horror film by accounts again filmed like cloverfield and Blair witch with zombies.

Finally got to see Atonement. Liked it alot. Though I thought it was best in the beginning, in the estate (I also thoroughly enjoyed the scene where all three meet later on, (not wanting to spoil) and the ending), the rest of the movie was very good too.

The long, single, unbroken shot at the beach was every bit as enjoyable as I thought it would be.

I've heard the book is considered a bit of a classic. A part of me wonders if I should've read the book first. But the movie was really good in my opinion. Not, perhaps, something for everyone's tastes, but it was to mine.

Downloaded it and watched it yesterday.. frankly a really stupid film. The whole of Texas is inhabited by 6 people. Guy's walking round with shot guns blasting off ,car crashes etc etc and not a soul to be seen..no road blocks, no Fed's being flown in, so national crisis about a mad gunman (or two) meandering around killing at a whim..

Silly film

Talking about NZ films -try "Once were warriors" no that's a good film.

Cheers

Richard

Well, how many people does the guy kill, really? Add to the fact that Woody Harrelson's character explains that almost nobody actually knows how he looks like. Bardem's and Brolin's characters run about Texas, and even Mexico. It's not hard to imagine the Feds not nabbing Bardem's guy quickly.

Besides, Tommy Lee Jones' character is chasing the two of them, and was actually doing a good job being right behind the previous places they were in.

To have roadblocks etc..., one would need to know who and how of the criminal elements. The movie takes place in the span of a few days if I remember correctly, and I doubt that the number of murders was high enough to send in a massive squad of Federal agents and State police within a few days.

A great thing about the movie is that it's entirely unpredictable and completly bypasses almost every movie cliche.

And, of course, I could use the oft-repeated line that this was a story, and it wasn't entirely unbelievable to swallow, was it? I thought the dialogue, the cinematography, the directing etc... was remarkable. Not sure if "No Country for Old Men" or "Atonement" was my favourite movie of the year ("Michael Clayton" was a good movie too, with a remarkable George Clooney, but I wouldn't call it my favourte of the year). I'm planning to watch "Juno" in the next few days, and that has got the critics raving.

Now, how the heck am I going to watch "There will be Blood"? I'm in awe of Daniel Day-Lewis' acting, and I've only seen a handful of trailers.

Well, how many people does the guy kill, really? Add to the fact that Woody Harrelson's character explains that almost nobody actually knows how he looks like. Bardem's and Brolin's characters run about Texas, and even Mexico. It's not hard to imagine the Feds not nabbing Bardem's guy quickly.

Besides, Tommy Lee Jones' character is chasing the two of them, and was actually doing a good job being right behind the previous places they were in.

To have roadblocks etc..., one would need to know who and how of the criminal elements. The movie takes place in the span of a few days if I remember correctly, and I doubt that the number of murders was high enough to send in a massive squad of Federal agents and State police within a few days.

A great thing about the movie is that it's entirely unpredictable and completely bypasses almost every movie cliché.

And, of course, I could use the oft-repeated line that this was a story, and it wasn't entirely unbelievable to swallow, was it? I thought the dialogue, the cinematography, the directing etc... was remarkable.

The main character (for want of a better word) killed several starting with a police officer. Now, not sure what Texas is like but over here the killing of a Plod is headline news -it's everywhere.The local filth reaction is totally absent... I could go on but my heart is just not in it, I'm just soooo glad I didn't pay money for this..;-)

I'm quite happy to suspend belief for films if they stick to reasonable real life credulity. An example I oft use-

Arnold Schwarzenegger being chased by an alien -yep fine I'll go along with that. A.S being chased by an alien but manages to pick a high security prison lock with a bent hair clip in under 10 seconds-that's just an insult to anyones intelligence and real lazy film making.

Same thing goes for N.C.F.O.M.

Cheers

Richard

Haven't been on a bike for about 12 years,and I miss it every day. I'm looking for one again,but will need training just to keep myself alive a bit longer. Either a GSX-R or fireblade,hence the training.

Went to Brands a few years ago,Classic Bike,Hailwood,Surtees,Agostini etc were their. MV Agusta..........what a machine. Hearing a bike like that,the sound lives with you forever.

Sorry,back to the topic..........

Just to drift off topic for a wee while. There is a guy who rides round Fulham on an MV -he wears a suit 'n' tie and brown Hushpuppies. I have seen him 3 times and never managed to get a picture of him

Cheers

Richard