• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flo17

Movies

The main character (for want of a better word) killed several starting with a police officer. Now, not sure what Texas is like but over here the killing of a Plod is headline news -it's everywhere.The local filth reaction is totally absent... I could go on but my heart is just not in it, I'm just soooo glad I didn't pay money for this..;-)

I'm quite happy to suspend belief for films if they stick to reasonable real life credulity. An example I oft use-

Arnold Schwarzenegger being chased by an alien -yep fine I'll go along with that. A.S being chased by an alien but manages to pick a high security prison lock with a bent hair clip in under 10 seconds-that's just an insult to anyones intelligence and real lazy film making.

Same thing goes for N.C.F.O.M.

Cheers

Richard

I do see your point, that the guy acted seemingly without retaliation from the authorities. I kinda fell for the story and characters, so I suspended belief. Perhaps it's a subjective thing. There have been movies that I couldn't accept, but others could.

Love the example though. Made me chuckle.

I do see your point, that the guy acted seemingly without retaliation from the authorities. I kinda fell for the story and characters, so I suspended belief. Perhaps it's a subjective thing. There have been movies that I couldn't accept, but others could.

Love the example though. Made me chuckle.

Just did a quick google.

It was actually 'done' by the heroine in Terminator II and it was a bloody paperclip!!

Linda Hamilton learned to pick locks for the scene in the mental hospital where she does precisely that with a paperclip.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103064/trivia

I took some bird to see this at the cinema as she loved all these kind of films. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

And I'm also waiting for a decent torrent of There will be Blood film you mentioned ;-)

Cheers

Richard

Just did a quick google.

It was actually 'done' by the heroine in Terminator II and it was a bloody paperclip!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103064/trivia

Watched T3, but I never saw the original two Terminators. Might give them a shot one day, if I catch them on TV.

And I'm also waiting for a decent torrent of There will be Blood film you mentioned ;-)

Cheers

Richard

Critics have been raving over the film for quite some time. I didn't find myself interested until I saw an interview Day-Lewis did with Oprah (I think it was then), and they showed a clip where his character his repeating phrases a priest (or minister... always get them wrong) is telling him. On that alone, I knew I had to watch that movie. The character's look is so different to Day-Lewis and his real voice (not only the accent, but the gravelly voice and tone), it's remarkable. Now I've seen good acting, but that seemed like a level much higher than I'm used to. Really hope the movie doesn't disappoint.

Watched "There will be Blood". It was a good movie, not great. Daniel Day Lewis is remarkable in his acting, though. Simply remarkable. The end, however, is completely and utterly insane.

First time I've seen all five of the Oscar's Best Picture nominees. No idea who deserves it, really. Thinking on them, I've had different thoughts than I had before.

I loved "No Country..." but the ending wasn't tight enough tbh, upon reflection. I feel as there was something missing. "There will be Blood" was good, but could've and should've been better story-wise. I liked "Atonement", but while the first half was very good, the second got a bit lost (I thought Knightley and McAvoy were fantastic in the movie, and I really got into their characters, as well as the young girl). "Juno" was a fun movie, but not one of my favourites.

I think "Michael Clayton" had a good story, great dialogue, and unlike some of the others had a good ending. It's close, but right now half of me thinks it, or "No Country..." should win the best picture award. Strange, as I didn't think it was better than the others when I watched them. But thinking on them, this movie was the best made, it seems. The other half of me still wants Atonement to get it. Head (Michael Clayton or No Country... ) vs heart (Atonement) it seems. Most of the time, I go with the heart.

Watched "There will be Blood". It was a good movie, not great. Daniel Day Lewis is remarkable in his acting, though. Simply remarkable. The end, however, is completely and utterly insane.

First time I've seen all five of the Oscar's Best Picture nominees. No idea who deserves it, really. Thinking on them, I've had different thoughts than I had before.

I loved "No Country..." but the ending wasn't tight enough tbh, upon reflection. I feel as there was something missing. "There will be Blood" was good, but could've and should've been better story-wise. I liked "Atonement", but while the first half was very good, the second got a bit lost (I thought Knightley and McAvoy were fantastic in the movie, and I really got into their characters, as well as the young girl). "Juno" was a fun movie, but not one of my favourites.

I think "Michael Clayton" had a good story, great dialogue, and unlike some of the others had a good ending. It's close, but right now half of me thinks it, or "No Country..." should win the best picture award. Strange, as I didn't think it was better than the others when I watched them. But thinking on them, this movie was the best made, it seems. The other half of me still wants Atonement to get it. Head (Michael Clayton or No Country... ) vs heart (Atonement) it seems. Most of the time, I go with the heart.

Cool, that's interesting oft is the case with overhyped films.... I shall torrent it asap and come back . ;-)

Talking about NZ films -try "Once were warriors" no that's a good film.

Jake the Mus! That character was a nutcase. Was a good film actually, will have to watch that one again sometime.

Seen Cloverfield as well, thought it was pretty good. Ending was maybe a bit pants though. Probably buy the DVD when it comes out...

I want to see 'American Gangster' with Denzel Washington, looks to be a wicked film.

I was pressured into watching 'Rise of the footsoldier' by a mate recently, a film I hadn't heard of, and now wish I didn't. Take my advise, stay well away. What a load of tosh. There was me thinking if the last few football hooligan movies had been so appalling, this one might have actually proved to be a surprising exception. Well it wasn't, in fact it was the worst one yet. I couldn't get past the first 15-20 minutes if that. Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting a fine piece of cinema or anything like that but come on. At least have a couple of people in there who can actually act.

Yes I know I only managed to watch the beginning, but that was enough believe me. If you feel like turning it off and possibly burning the disc after 10 minutes, that doesn't say much for it now does it lol. Anyway I was a mug for thinking it may have actually been worth watching in the first place...

You ever get the impression that a movie was made perfectly for you (others may or may not like it)? I finally watched 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' and to me, it's perfect. Fantastic storyline, characters, dialogue, romance, everything.

I've always had the highest regard for Kate Winslet as an actress (I liked 'Little Children', and 'Sense and Sensibility' is a fond favourite of mine) and again she doesn't disappoint.

Must watch more Charlie Kaufman movies, I guess.

Also watched 'Definitely, Maybe' recently, and it's a welcome change from the formulaic, predictable stuff Hollywood throws out which they call romantic comedy. Good movie.

todongo   
Dark Knight.

Loved Batman Begins and the sequel (involving Heath Ledger as The Joker) looks awesome.

Another stupid American fashion show with comic book/action-driven plot. why not just watch football?

CJ Ross   
You ever get the impression that a movie was made perfectly for you (others may or may not like it)? I finally watched 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' and to me, it's perfect. Fantastic storyline, characters, dialogue, romance, everything.

Heard it's really good, but I just can't bring myself to watch Jim Carey. He irritates me even when he isn't gurning.

Saw Juno and it was most enjoyable. And it's one of the only films I can go and see with the wife. She's such a wuss, she can't handle violence or suspense. So I generally watch films on my tod.

Anyone watch The Wire? I got to say its one of the best shows I have seen in my life. I'm glued to the screen every for every single episode.