• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boxing

Zidane   

Whatever he does, he should do it at light welterweight. His win against Collazo, whilst I agree with the judges was a win in the first place - was none the less unconvincing, and although I felt he did enough against Mayweather for a draw he still looks shakey at his current weight.

I personally think he should fight Witter and end that particular argument once and for all.

....he still looks shakey at his current weight.

At his current weight, we might see him challenging the winner of the David Haye/Enzo Maccerinelli bout in March ;o)

My personal opinion is that he needs to do something special straight off the bat in his next fight. If he is only going to have 5 more fights (2 this year, 3 next year) then he needs to tidy up the light welterweight division first and then have one last crack at welterweight towards the end of 2009. Gavin Rees should be the first bout this year (he can't fight Witter in May because of Witter's next defence against D-Hop. It would make that fight too soon for Witter to get ready). So fight and take out Rees (which I believe he'd have no trouble doing) and then set up a Witter clash for September 2008. That'd leave perhaps Malignaggi or Ricardo Torres as the only names left at light welterweight for early 2009.

So three fights at light welterweight (Rees, Witter and then Malignaggi/Torres) and then a move up to welter for one more hurrah. I know he's said that he's a natural 10 stone fighter and he probably is, but there are no more names out there or even coming through. I'd fight 3 more at light welterweight, move up to welter against a Paul Williams or Kermit Citron first and then (if he wins that) take a crack at Mayweather again if he is still fighting or perhaps Cotto (the natural heir at that weight). In his final fight, if he sticks to his promise of only 5 more, then he could go out all guns blazing leaving nothing left in the ring and retire knowing he fought the best in their prime, didn't duck anyone and gave it his all.

Can any other British fighter say that they did that? Not even Calzaghe can profess to that, even if he beats Bernard Hopkins and Jones Jr.

Liverlad   

Perhaps the WWE will come calling?

he could have a 'wrestling match' with the new superstar Mayweather (who is obviously going to beat the Big Show at Wrestlemania otherwise he wouldn't have signed up for it)

Sky are reporting that there could be a re-match with Mayweather in the UK next year.

I hope not. He's only setting himself up to fail again.

Sky are reporting that there could be a re-match with Mayweather in the UK next year.

I hope not. He's only setting himself up to fail again.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_3354851,00.html

I hope so - only so that I can see Mayweather, he's possibly the best sportsman of my generation.

Wouldn't be at Wembley mate, he'd have it in Manchester where most of his fans are.